because my cousin doesn't really use the internet and keeps asking me what bass to get....he's really interested in the schecter stilleto extreme bass. unfortunately, he wants it for the looks so he intends to upgrade the pickups to other EMG---. But the pickups on the stilleto extreme bass look larger than normal sized HB pickups, what EMG pickups should he get and can he actually change them?

thanks guys

btw here's the pic

Last edited by h0d0g at Aug 7, 2006,
oh yeah since, we're talking about schecter basses, why do they have Active EQ - when the EMG HZ pickups are passive?
I'm noy 100%, but i think their soapbar pickups. I'd wait for more answers though, scince i'm not 100%. Nica bass BTW
those arent humbuckers, they're soapbar single coils.

as for the electronics, you can have any combination of passive/active EQ/pickups. so pas EQ + pas pickups, pas EQ + active pickups, etc etc.

as for upgrading, of course you can, all you hav to do is find soapbar single coils you want to upgrade to.
haha now you mention it, which company makes bass soapbar pickups? if i'm right, seymour duncan does...but i'm not too sure

i'm really confused over that Active EQ thing, so will the bass have active electronics with ACTIVE EQ but with passive pickups?
Last edited by h0d0g at Aug 7, 2006,
bartolini makes some good soapbars...

and most Onboard preamps (Active EQs) are designed to work with passive pickups...so to answer your question yes, a bass will be considered to have active electronics on it if it has an active EQ onboard...An "Active Bass" doesnt necessarily have active pickups..."Active basses" is the name given to basses with Active EQs onboard...sometimes they also have active pickups but thats not really common...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I don't now where you found that, but its not even on the Schecter website. You sure its not a custom shop kinda thing? And no offense, but that thing has nothing on the Elite. From the looks of it, its basically just the Deluxe with V-inlays, and a nicer paint job (by that, I mean black cherry finish <_< ). Unless they're doing something really different all of the sudden, that's just the Diamond bass bridge (Schecter's bottom of the line) and Diamond pickups (also bottom of the line). They aren't even EMGs. If you go here you'll see that the EMG pickups very clearly say EMG-HZ on them, not Schecter. The Elite also has the much more stable S-tek bridge. If he like it for the looks, you can check out the Custom (matte black cherry with black hardware) or the Elite in that pic (black cherry with gold hardware). They both have the same general look to them, but with higher quality pickups, bridge, and construction in general. Here's some links directly to them. I strongly recommend the Elite though, I have one and could not be happier with it. Stiletto Custom-4 Stiletto Elite-4
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by Fett13
I don't now where you found that, but its not even on the Schecter website. You sure its not a custom shop kinda thing? And no offense, but that thing has nothing on the Elite. From the looks of it, its basically just the Deluxe with V-inlays, and a nicer paint job (by that, I mean black cherry finish <_< ). Unless they're doing something really different all of the sudden, that's just the Diamond bass bridge (Schecter's bottom of the line) and Diamond pickups (also bottom of the line). They aren't even EMGs. If you go here you'll see that the EMG pickups very clearly say EMG-HZ on them, not Schecter. The Elite also has the much more stable S-tek bridge. If he like it for the looks, you can check out the Custom (matte black cherry with black hardware) or the Elite in that pic (black cherry with gold hardware). They both have the same general look to them, but with higher quality pickups, bridge, and construction in general. Here's some links directly to them. I strongly recommend the Elite though, I have one and could not be happier with it. Stiletto Custom-4 Stiletto Elite-4

It's part of the export series, so it's like available in any other country but america. I live in australia so if you change the location, you'll be able to see it
whats the big deal if he chooses a lower end bass? i dont know what ur problem is Fett13 but ur just trying to shove that elite down this guys throat and honestly it probably isnt for him anyways.

but soap bars arent that common a configuration, there are a few companies that do, ur local shops probably wont carry anymore than 1 or 2 varieties.
Quote by Fett13

The headstock says "Diamond series" right on it.
I'm 99% sure that those are humbuckers. I have a pair of HZs on my six string, and I think that they are soapbar humbuckers.
I stand corrected on the type of bass, but my points on quality stand.

Quote by SocKo?
whats the big deal if he chooses a lower end bass? i dont know what ur problem is Fett13 but ur just trying to shove that elite down this guys throat and honestly it probably isnt for him anyways.

I'm saying that if he plans to modify it in the first place, why start at the bottom, and have to modify everything, when you can start farther up, and have less to change. If for no other reason that the higher quality bridge, the Custom at lesat is a good idea. I've played a Deluxe (identical to the extreme except for cosmetic differences) and while it is still a very nice bass, the bridge is relatively low quality, as are the pickups. The S-tek is far more stable, and a lot more durable. Oh, and if you had bothered to read my post instead of instantly assuming I'm shoving the Elite down his throat, you'd realize I offered the alternative of the Custom as well. The Custom has a lower price than the Elite, but still has nearly the same color scheme as the Extreme, and has the better bridge/pickups. I pushed for the elite over the custom simply because in addition to that, it has neck-through construction, which I find to be a major addition in its favor. He only wants to change the pickups, so those are irrelevant, but I still think he should go for the better bridge at least. Seeing as how you missed that as being the entire point I made in my first post, maybe you'll figure it out in this one.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
bit of a big ****in pic m8, looks swell though
Quote by samlynch
nothing can beat rhcp albums. not even rhcp albums.