well at the moment ive got a squire strat starter pack and its pretty crap and im giging with it (not the amp) and any way im going to upgrade to a epiphone les paul, marshall(probably) 100w amp and a multi effects pedal which i will spend up 2 about $800 australian. now i was orginaly going to buy it all new but its going to cost alot so should i buy the amp and the guitar 2nd hand.
Quote by GUNZI
well at the moment ive got a squire strat starter pack and its pretty crap and im giging with it (not the amp) and any way im going to upgrade to a epiphone les paul, marshall(probably) 100w amp and a multi effects pedal which i will spend up 2 about $800 australian. now i was orginaly going to buy it all new but its going to cost alot so should i buy the amp and the guitar 2nd hand.

Amp Second hand but test it out
If the Marshall youre reffering to is an MG or an AVT...I would seriously reconsider. And also I would skip the multi-FX..

But thats just me.
im not sure exactly how much the AUD is worth but if you want that much stuff on that kinda budget i dont think you have much choice but to go second hand.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i'd get the guitar second hand, and get a cheaper amp instead of a used one.

consider using multiple single effects instead of a multi. i think it sounds better this way.
I would NEVER get an amp 2nd hand. You just never now what's been done to it, and you might not find out until much later, and when you do, you have next to no chance of fixing it.
2nd hand guitars are okay, if they feel, play and sound right, there's nothing wrong with them.
multi effects things are okay, but i would concentrate more on a good amp (meaning not an AVT or MG), try out a Fender Hotrod, they rock.