Page 1 of 16
well...since this was moved from the 80's rock, shred, and progressive thread (i dont understand why) i guess it'll go here
Geddy Lee, bassist, singer, keyboardist, guitarist...rock god?

feel free to discuss,banter, argue, criticize and praise Geddy or anything to have anything to with Geddy.

if you are a true fan feel free to join the club :P
CO-Founder of the Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Member#15 of the RushClub
and Alex Lifesons biggest fan

Pm Maet to join

Proud Member of the Yes Club
Pm TheHeartbreaker to join
Geddy rules as a musician.

I love his sig bass and will likely purchase one after I sell my Jazz (The Harmonster, one of the best basses I've ever played... but it's time to move on)
haha
Geddy is one of my fave musicians and Rush is my fave band but i like the Rickenbacker he used to play back in the day than his sig bass...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Geddy and MacGyver - two of my favorite people, watchingmefall.

Geddy's hair back in the day was awesome, probably a Mac 10 (Mac being short for "MacGyver," and 10 meaning Season 10. I know, there was no season 10, but his mullet got bigger every year, and Geddy's was bigger than MacGyver's ever was).

They're the nerdiest band I know of. Somebody on SongMeanings.net commented "2112 really sets the mood for Dungeons and Dragons."

Haha, yeah, Geddy Lee is awesome.

Has anybody heard that Geddy Lee's solo album is widely considered "Rushes best album?" (is there more than one solo album?) My friend told me that...
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
I'm not much of a Rush fan. I just have never really heard any of their stuff. I love YYZ, and thats pretty much all I've heard. Which album should I get that has some of Geddy's best stuff, but will also turn me onto them? I read through an interview with him in Bass Player magazine a while back, and that really sparked an interest in him. I play some keyboards in my band as well as bass, so I thought he would be a good person to get into...

Did anyone else realize that Wolfmother's bassist pretty much acts the same way as Geddy? He plays keyboards and a Rickenbacker, and even the way he moves on stage looks similar.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Well theyve got different sides of them, some albums show off their prog side, some their less proggy catchy side, some the synth side, etc.

what do you want inky? lol.

either way i'd suggest Wikipedia'ing them for good info on their albums and some cool facts.

I love wikipedia

EDIT: I find it stupid that they'd move geddy lee into bass guitar. Everyone makes Yngwie, Vai, etc. threads in the Shred/Prog forum, but once its a bassist "Oh its got to go in teh bass forumz!!!" (dont mind the last emoticon LOL)
Yeah I dunno what their problem is in the prog. rock forum

and how the **** are Rush nerdy??? (besides the fact they wore tights for a concert or two...)
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
I'm not much of a Rush fan. I just have never really heard any of their stuff. I love YYZ, and thats pretty much all I've heard. Which album should I get that has some of Geddy's best stuff, but will also turn me onto them? I read through an interview with him in Bass Player magazine a while back, and that really sparked an interest in him. I play some keyboards in my band as well as bass, so I thought he would be a good person to get into...

Did anyone else realize that Wolfmother's bassist pretty much acts the same way as Geddy? He plays keyboards and a Rickenbacker, and even the way he moves on stage looks similar.

check out a show of hands, thats got some pretty cool lines. he's an extremely melodic player, which i guess at that time wasnt being done, especially in rock, i think thats why he's so popular.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
^

i love chris squier...

both him and geddy are high up on my list lol. i just rather Yes over Rush i guess.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I have been listening to Rush for well.... three days I guess and wow Geddy is already my hero and in my opinion has the best groove of any rock/prog (whatever they are) bassists.

lol i can understand where you are comming from
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
oh and jazz do us a favour and put the PM RIC4003 or timmEh to join **** in your name for me... cheers mate
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Geddy lee > All

I have had my Lee bass for the past 2 years and I use nothing but it for gigging and studio work
Plus, lee as a player is amazing!! intricate and skilled...

I'm not saying more, too tired
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
what band was he in? what era was he in?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE

try 2112 for starters...its amazing
that or fly by night, a farewell to kings is good too though
or you could get a greatest hits
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Pm Maet to join

Quote by myself101
what band was he in? what era was he in?

he was in Rush, a band that defines prog rock
they wrote albums startin in the 70's and still are today, i think theyve written like 16 albums or something like that

EDIT: sorry make that 19 albums not including greatests hits or live albums
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Pm Maet to join

Last edited by timmEH at Aug 14, 2006,
Yes if there are any questions about Rush, Geddy, Alex, or Neil then ask 'em here... we are the Rush knowitalls
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Quote by RIC4003

and how the **** are Rush nerdy??? (besides the fact they wore tights for a concert or two...)

"We are the priests of the Temples of Syrinx...."
Who writes a song about Bastille Day? A nerdy band, that's who.
Well, that's all I can think of right now. Really, I guess 2112 is the biggest thing. It's just so sci-fi.

And that Niel Peart is a big Ayn Rand fan, and that influences their lyrics a bit.

Probably a better word than "nerdy" would be "intellectual." Their songs have a lot more to think about than most others.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
^ true

i would call their sound almost...sci-fi
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Pm Maet to join

well i can live with intellectual
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Thats what I think defines good proggressive rock is that it makes you think and listen rather than alot of other rock where it's just easy listening Rush has alot of "in a car" type songs that all you have to do is listen to music and nothing else. Example: Hemishperes 18 minutes of a symphony like rock song, pure gold right there. 4 parts, totally seperate and amazing but you have to listen.
You have to admire that there are only three people in this band and yet they can pruduce an incredible sound between them... I have heard people call their style of music Math Rock what that means i don't really know but I am pretty sure it's simply referancing how a small amount of people (Rush) can do like three or four things on stage each and still produce an amzing sound... example Geddy Lee- Vocals, Bass, Synth, and Bass pedals sometimes all working together at one point or another (I find it amazing)
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Pm Maet to join

I just bought Test For Echo last night and it really surprised me. I expected it to be like Counterparts, but it was super-heavy.

I'm such a dork- I've got 9 Yes albums and 14 Rush albums.

I have just as much reverence for Alex and Neil as I do for Geddy, though. Neil's lyrics are just unbelieveable; you've really got to sit down and listen to it rather than just "play" it.
True true ^^
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
timmEH: im about... 70-80% sure that Math Rock (or Math Metal) is a term used to describe music where the time signature often changes, and the use of odd time signatures is so common thats its rare in a song NOT to have an odd signature.

i wouldnt call all of their stuff math rock, but some if it yeh.
Quote by mangablade
timmEH: im about... 70-80% sure that Math Rock (or Math Metal) is a term used to describe music where the time signature often changes, and the use of odd time signatures is so common thats its rare in a song NOT to have an odd signature.

i wouldnt call all of their stuff math rock, but some if it yeh.

heh i agree with you actually, that was my buddy(RIC4003) on my account at my house. But some of their songs with time changes are actually really fun to play.

*farts in RIC4003's general direction*
PM me or RIC4003 to join

Pm Maet to join

yeah yeah yeah blame it all on me oh and thx timmEH
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Anyways back to the Geddy Lee/Rush thread
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Quote by mountaindew88
I just bought Test For Echo

Geddy is the man, an awesome player and vocalist, and so passionate about the music. He seems so sincere and true, Rush are totally about the music.
i hate rush.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by RIC4003

Perhaps the fact that the rythm to YYZ is morse code for said title... that is pretty nerdy.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
well remember YYZ is a tribute to their home town (Toronto) and YYZ is the airport code for Pearson Airport (in Toronto) still i do admit they are a slight bit nerdy but like TestForEcho ^ said they are all about the music...
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
YYZ is such a crazy song to play.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
true true
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Last edited by RIC4003 at Aug 6, 2006,
I too, am a very big Rush fan. With kindness I say "I think I'm going bald" is just a terrible song.

Anyway, for those not in the know, Rush is pretty much THE prog rock band from back in the day, and they are still going.

Neil Peart (Say it:Peert) is one of the best rock drummers today. Not only for his skill but immense versatility.

Alex Lifeson is also an amazing guitar player, in the sense he rarely gets caught up in the pyrotechnics of playing , and instead plays what needs to be played, often having very atmospheric solos.

Geddy Lee is the triple threat. Keys, Bass, and wonderful vocals. What more can you say? Although, it's my personal belief his bass playing has matured the least compared to Alex and Neil, he is still a force to be reckoned with.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.