I find it awkward picking back and forth so have adapted to picking just down, which i dont find any slower, but prob just cause im only playing easy stuff.

just wondering how abnormal it is.
Hrmm, depends what you're playing I guess. I hardly ever use a pick. I prefer to use my fingers to pluck, and just my hand to strum chords. If it's a chord filled song, I usually also use strum up and down, depends on the rhythm of the song.
Eventually, when you get onto harder and faster stuff, "down picking only" will hamper your learning.

Alternate picking is tricky at first, but if you keep at it, eventually, you'll get used to it.
Been away, am back
I never had lessons and picked up guitar by playing along to James Hetfield - he uses only downstrokes for most of his rhythms. I can do it just as fast as anyone I know who uses alternate picking, but I found i eventually had to learn alternate/economy picking for shredding/neoclassical stuff. If you're just starting out I'd recommend you learn "proper" techniques now as it'll be easier than starting again in a few years.
Dave
Its not abnormal.Metalica(kirk Hammet),They are all about downpicking.To be good dont go with wat people say is the right way. Find things of for yourself.
the first thing a learned on my guitar was the up-down strike it really helps you in your both hands to work together and if you wanna play fast you just cant do it with picking down only.
its better to teach yourself to do down and upstrokes as this will improve your speed which u will need when playing fast stuff practice by picking a scale like the major scale and play through it with up an down strokes and do this daily and gradually get faster each day.
I used to play downstrokes only, but then I started playing with fingers... Then a month ago or so I started to play with picks and fingers and I started playing alternating up and down wich was awkward the first day, then I got used to it, I reccomend practicing alternating....
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
ok well i feel better about practising down strokes, i can play minor penatonic as quickly with either or both now. whatrs something else i could try a little trickier?
metallica use down picking where ever they can. i know someone who says he dont need to do alternate picking becasue he thinks he's fast doing downstroke, then when i played with him i played the same as he was and i use alternate picking to show the speed you can get and now hes going to spend his time learning how to alternate pick. i must say alternate picking came to me naturally, i see people trying to do it and they look like retards. its really isnt as difficult as people make it seem.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
Na its normal i use dont use downstrokes all the time but the more you get into it the more your picking will change, and eventually alternate picking will come naturally
^Indeed.

It'll make you twice as fast and it will be less effort on your part.

A con, though, is that all downstrokes will be stronger sounding. Like in Master of Puppets. So if you want a constant hard-sound use downstrokes in riffs, but the difference isn't that noticable,especially to the untrained ear.

If ou get into soloing, you won't make it with only downstrokes, especially if you plan on playing faster solos.
Man if its powechords and moderatly fast riffs you wanna play (depending on your style) alternate picking isnt neccesary.

However, if you wanna whip out a solo now and then, alternate picking is pretty much essential.
I used to, but then realized it was a lot easier and i could do a lot more by using alternate picking.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/alternate_picking_technique.html
Thats a good article with fairly simple stuff you could use to help alternate picking speed, and gradually you'll get better and better.

-Alex.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
cool thanks.

i find its not coordination i find difficult, its sometimes i miss the string on the up stroke.

interesting reading, Pat Metheney picks with round side of plectrum. see i find it hard missing strings with the plectrums pointy end, but find it easier with plectrum turned on its side.
Last edited by fiztech at Aug 7, 2006,
i started when all down strokes and i wish i learned up and down but playin all down strokes i play just as good as the people playin up and down
i find blues is easy (not saying blues is easy to play haha) with down strokes, but shredding is getting hard.
I downstroke most stuff.. just cos it's cool. lol. But I alternate pick if downstrokes are just inappropriate, or if it's chords and that kinda thing.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
Quote by Wyld Stallyn
I never had lessons and picked up guitar by playing along to James Hetfield - he uses only downstrokes for most of his rhythms. I can do it just as fast as anyone I know who uses alternate picking, but I found i eventually had to learn alternate/economy picking for shredding/neoclassical stuff. If you're just starting out I'd recommend you learn "proper" techniques now as it'll be easier than starting again in a few years.
Dave

You will never be able to Tremlo pick with down strokes. And Trem picking is used very often.
If you don't learn to alternative pick, there's a smaller limit to what you will be bale to play, you'll get used to it. Practice it, and even if you don't like it or if it's not neccisary don't use it, but it's good to know.
DANCE BITCH!!
ok one thing im finding very hard from the lesson posted, is muting the strings. i find this very hard in rythm too. how do i place my hand at my FR bridge and manage to pick at base of my neck? also why mute? u cant hear anything.