I have been quite frustrated recently at my inabilty to further my shredding even though I have been practicing slowly, with a metronome, through various scales.
I'm not asking whether that means i'm retarded or not, because I already know what the problem is, i just need a full-fledged shredder to point me in the right direction!

Well, I assume I know what the problem is anyway.

I have been watching videoes of shredders (Rusty Cooley, Zakk Wylde, Jeff loomis, random japanese guitarists on youtube) recently to see if i can learn anything. I have noticed one thing they do at speeds; they hardly move their fingers from the fretboard! This never hit me before, but my fingers spider-about like mad when I up the speed... For example, whenever i use my little finger it inadvertantly lifts itself up from the fretboard (as far as it can go) and slams down on the fret to make up for the distance it created, which makes it physically impossible for me to shred.

So far i can control my finger at SUPER-slow speeds, but at speeds I lose control completely and it has a mind of its own. I have NO control! I didn't see this early enough!

Please help. Excersizes? Tips?

Thanks.
I had the same problem when I first started years ago. You just need to play slow at speeds where you can achieve this and slowly speed up. It may take a while but guitar is about patience.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Quote by Mortanimae
I have been quite frustrated recently at my inabilty to further my shredding even though I have been practicing slowly, with a metronome, through various scales.
I'm not asking whether that means i'm retarded or not, because I already know what the problem is, i just need a full-fledged shredder to point me in the right direction!

Well, I assume I know what the problem is anyway.

I have been watching videoes of shredders (Rusty Cooley, Zakk Wylde, Jeff loomis, random japanese guitarists on youtube) recently to see if i can learn anything. I have noticed one thing they do at speeds; they hardly move their fingers from the fretboard! This never hit me before, but my fingers spider-about like mad when I up the speed... For example, whenever i use my little finger it inadvertantly lifts itself up from the fretboard (as far as it can go) and slams down on the fret to make up for the distance it created, which makes it physically impossible for me to shred.

So far i can control my finger at SUPER-slow speeds, but at speeds I lose control completely and it has a mind of its own. I have NO control! I didn't see this early enough!

Please help. Excersizes? Tips?

Thanks.

practice your finger movements without actually playing until your fluent and dont have to think too much
Play 16th notes at the fastest tempo you can master. Then slowly increase the speed.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Okay here something you need to know, if you don't know this all that other stuff you read a about will do crap all for your speed.
The less movement the faster you are. So just get perfect techique, then practice tech exercises to keep make sure you keep playing with it. Amen.
If you have bad techique you will never be able to shred.
http://www.cyberfret.com/classic/index.htm
Scroll down to techique.
e; 0----1----2--3--4-
B; 0---1---2---3--4
etc etc........ every string for strong fingers......
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
don't play anything at a speed where you can't play it absolutely cleanly and without mistakes...you shouldn't start playing slowly and all of a sudden jump up 100 bpms and try to shred like mad...play at a speed where you can play cleanly, then slowly increase the bpm and repeat...once you reach top speed (or when you start making mistakes) drop down 20 and repeat...it takes great patience, but you can't expect to shred overnight
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
In my case, i improve my picking (not a big jump, but noticeable) practicing constanly for about 3-4 months, maybe not what i expected on that period, but i improve. So, take your time...
yngwie barely moves his fingers, alot of reverb helps to sound clean, Petrucci has alot of finger movement for as fast as he goes but he plays very cleanly without alot of reverb to help wash out slight mistakes.
Practice, Practice, Practice

Custom, get on MSN, i got some ideas
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
holy **** i have the same ****in problems!

its not that you cant play fast or anything... it has nothing to do with speed it has to do with finger coordination... just find a movement that makes your pinky weird and practise it like mad
Quote by frube999
practice your finger movements without actually playing until your fluent and dont have to think too much

well, then you have to teach your right hand how to follow, its ok if its legato, but its better to just focus on one hand while using the other one.

when your practicing, do chromatics. its 4 notes in a row, playing to a metronome, you build your speed up slowly, i'd start at probably 90 and really focus on small fingermovements and small pickstrokes while keeping a extremly tight focused and controlled playing.

this site as gay as the cartoon is is actually quite helpful www.guitarshredshow.com

and this vid is pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTTHS9hwvU
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
umm he means 100 beats per minute on a metronome?
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
whenever i use my little finger it inadvertantly lifts itself up from the fretboard (as far as it can go) and slams down on the fret to make up for the distance it created, which makes it physically impossible for me to shred.

I have this same problem: my three stronger fingers stay almost glued to the fretboard, but my pinky seems to lift up all the time. Most shredders I see keep all four fingers only slightly above the fretboard. However, I looked at the John Petrucci video, and discovered something weird... he does the same thing (he always has his pinky off the board and "slams" it down when he needs to... in fact it seems as though he uses his 3 other fingers and only uses the pinky when he's desperate).

Just wondering if this is common among shredders or if it's just an anomaly (in other words, should I/anyone else be working on keeping that pinky down still? Or is it not as important as I thought?)
Quote by CustomCustom
yngwie barely moves his fingers, alot of reverb helps to sound clean, Petrucci has alot of finger movement for as fast as he goes but he plays very cleanly without alot of reverb to help wash out slight mistakes.

This only hides your mistakes...

Playing sloppy and adding alittle delay will make you sound okay.

Playing accurately and adding the same delay will make you sound like a monsterous guitar playing machine.

Don't practice with large amounts of reverb or delays.
Quote by squier_4_life
I have this same problem: my three stronger fingers stay almost glued to the fretboard, but my pinky seems to lift up all the time. Most shredders I see keep all four fingers only slightly above the fretboard. However, I looked at the John Petrucci video, and discovered something weird... he does the same thing (he always has his pinky off the board and "slams" it down when he needs to... in fact it seems as though he uses his 3 other fingers and only uses the pinky when he's desperate).

Just wondering if this is common among shredders or if it's just an anomaly (in other words, should I/anyone else be working on keeping that pinky down still? Or is it not as important as I thought?)

watch MAB's fretting hand while playing...that's how you're fingers should be
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.