It would get rid of unwanted ring. something you normally have to be very careful aobut with the positioning and pressure you apply on the bridge with you picking hand
I really dont think it does anything. Just simply because he is not playing any open strings. But I suspect it might be lowering his action higher up on the neck, and that is what he is using it for.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
It stops open strings from ringing... if you've got a lack luster sweep technique, it's going to make you sound like Frank Gambale.

He's using it to stop unwanted string noise and make his piece sound 'cleaner' - it's make up for bad technique in this sense.
Quote by Johnljones7443
It stops open strings from ringing... if you've got a lack luster sweep technique, it's going to make you sound like Frank Gambale.

He's using it to stop unwanted string noise and make his piece sound 'cleaner' - it's make up for bad technique in this sense.

Correct.

Dampeners and capos are very different.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Johnljones7443

Not always true. In this case he may be due to laziness, but many famous well known guitarists use string dampeners of some sort because if you don't rest your pick hand on the bridge and let it "float" instead, then it's almost impossible to eliminate every possible string that's ringing in sympathy.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Lies From Satan!!!!!!!!!!!
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
Quote by Bryan52803
Not always true. In this case he may be due to laziness, but many famous well known guitarists use string dampeners of some sort because if you don't rest your pick hand on the bridge and let it "float" instead, then it's almost impossible to eliminate every possible string that's ringing in sympathy.

Bry

or your playing a double guitar like michael angelo
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by Bryan52803

Bry

Which is why I said... 'In this case... '.

In any case, there's no reason that a person who floats can't mute the unwanted string noise with his picking hand across the strings - not anchoring doesn't mean your hand has to be in mid-air 100% of the time.