I'm looking to buy a new guitar and amp and I only have $1,200 - 1,500 USD. I play classic rock, some blues and jazz (occasionally) and the only metal I play is Iron Maiden and Metallica. I have some idea of what amp to get but as for electric guitars, I have a couple. I've wanted a Gibson LP for the longest time so I found a Gibson LP vintage Mahogany, but if I buy one I will have very little cash for a good amp (1st link). Or possibly an Epiphone LP custom so I can have more cash for an amp (2nd link)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=518350

And I'm also thinking about getting a PRS. My neighbor who's been gigging for about 10 years or so just got a PRS Santana and says its favorite of the 7 guitars he has. I found a PRS SE custom (1st link below) or a PRS Santana SE w/tremolo (2nd link below)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Santana-SE-with-Tremolo-Electric-Guitar?sku=519902

The amps I'm thinking about getting are, a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410?sku=480508

And a Marshall amp (Can be up to about $750 USD post if you know any good marshall tube amps around 50 watts)

Post ideas on guitars you think have a good classic tone as well amps. I'm also thinking about getting a Boss ds-1 distortion pedal.

First post.

*side note* I've been playing for 2 and a half years and been stuck with an acoustic and I can't really save up more than the $1,200 - 1,500 USD because my friends and I are starting a band and will begin to practice by December (that's also when I will be getting the money). And there is NO WAY my acoustic will stand up to our drummer.

I play chords also so, I'd rather something that sounds better with chords than lead.
Last edited by Dilweed at Aug 7, 2006,
I would go the PRS with trem. Then you can just bring your guitar into a store and try out all the amps you can afford.
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting a used Marshall, but at the same time I've always wanted an LP and I love the sound of them, but at the same time, I do need a decent amp.
I would personally go with the prs w/ trem. As far as amps, for blues and classic rock I would go with a Fender Hot Rod Deville. But those are just what I like for my tastes. As always go into the store and try both guitars and amps out to see what YOU like best.

amp>guitar.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Have you ever played an LP?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I would say spend most of the money on a very nice tube combo, seeing as a majority of your tone comes from the amp, and buy maybe a 500 dollar guitar or something.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
You should plan on splitting that money down the middle and spending about as much on the guitar as on the amp. The amp is the more important of the two since it's what really gives your guitar its tone, ultimately. PRS SE's aren't really in the same league as their big brothers, although I'm happy with my Soapbar II SE. You should give them a spin. Also check out the high end Epiphone Les Pauls (cheap Gibson LPs aren't good instruments), Schecters (good quality for cheap, Super Strat body design, well appointed with features), a higher-end Mexican-made Fender with a humbucker (a couple weeks ago I saw a big band jazz ensemble and the guitarist was using a 2 humbucker Strat through a Roland Jazz Chorus; awesome sound). For amps, check out used Marshall JCM 800s or 900s or maybe a used Mesa/Boogie Mark III (I've seen them for about $550-600). You could also get a new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille (which would need an overdrive pedal for heavier sounds) or a Traynor.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by uterus
I would go the PRS with trem. Then you can just bring your guitar into a store and try out all the amps you can afford.

yea do that
I would personally go for a Ibanez S470, its only 499$, then put the rest of that money into a tube amp/cabinet.

S470 has a mahogony body, ZR tremelo system, its more versatile than the LP, MUCH better fret access then the lp, and alot cheaper. Plus its got a Wizard 2 neck, very thin.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Of course I'm going to try the guitar and amp both in the store, but I'm just looking for suggestions. Also, I play chords, so I'd want a guitar good for chords, someone else in the band is getting a standard strat (single coil) so I'd want something to sound good with that.
Quote by ClassicAxe
I would personally go for a Ibanez S470, its only 499$, then put the rest of that money into a tube amp/cabinet.

S470 has a mahogony body, ZR tremelo system, its more versatile than the LP, MUCH better fret access then the lp, and alot cheaper. Plus its got a Wizard 2 neck, very thin.

Yeah, ibanez are fairly good guitars, but I don't really like the style of ibanez. But I do play some Metallica and Maiden, but not much and they sounded good on the ibanez.
Last edited by Dilweed at Aug 7, 2006,
^ Floyd rose has nothing to do with heavy stuff.

Using the bar is an excellent way of vibrato, and if you ever wanna throw in some divebomb squeals or anything like that its there, plus with that ZR trem your **** aint NEVER going out of tune.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
so it's always going to be out of tune.

I personally don't like Ibanez guitars.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
so it's always going to be out of tune.

I personally don't like Ibanez guitars.

+1 I've played them and they are decent, but I much rather get a PRS or LP. But I can say, the ibanez's I played were light.
They're basswood, which is good for tone, but soft, so it takes damage easy. As far as design goes, Ibanez, IMO, have nothing to them. They're flat. And for an extra $1,200, you can get one with an absolutely useless monkey grip. Woohoo! The thing I like least about them is what shredders like the most - I hate the Wizard neck. I need something with a little chunkiness to it. I love the neck, for example, on the '52 Telecaster reissue.
Hi, I'm Peter
I tried the peavey classic 50 and it was really good, and fits classic rock and blues.
and then you can get that prs with trem.

the ibanez s might be a good decision, but for my curiousity can the zr trem go as high and low in steps as the floyd rose?(to classic axe or someone else wwho knows)
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by mw7 at Aug 7, 2006,
Quote by Dilweed
My neighbor who's been gigging for about 10 years or so just got a PRS Santana and says its favorite of the 7 guitars he has. I found a PRS SE custom,

Just goes to show you should just buy the one YOU like best. My PRS Custom 22
is one of my LEAST favorite out of my other 14....
Quote by edg
Just goes to show you should just buy the one YOU like best. My PRS Custom 22
is one of my LEAST favorite out of my other 14....

/\ Very true. But I tried his PRS (Not the custom SE that I want yet though) and I definitly liked the feel of it. I also like the inlays, but trapezoid inlays are still my favorite.
Does anyone know some good amps btw? (assuming I have.....about $700 USD)
Quote by Dilweed
/\ Very true. But I tried his PRS (Not the custom SE that I want yet though) and I definitly liked the feel of it. I also like the inlays, but trapezoid inlays are still my favorite.

Well, if you like it buy it. I'm just saying don't buy one because someone else
happens to think they're the best guitar on the planet. Everyone has a different
opinion. You're the one that's gonna be playing it.
Quote by edg
Well, if you like it buy it. I'm just saying don't buy one because someone else
happens to think they're the best guitar on the planet. Everyone has a different
opinion. You're the one that's gonna be playing it.

Of course. I'd never buy a guitar without trying it. As well as an amp.
Quote by Dilweed
I'm looking to buy a new guitar and amp and I only have $1,200 - 1,500 USD.

You seem to be complaining that you only have about $1500. I'd be happy to have $1500 to use in guitar products. Sorry I just had to get that out of my system.

Anyway, the Fender DeVille seems like a good idea. I'd say go with the Fender.
Sent from my iPad.
guitar-wise, the prs se would be worth a look (you'll probably want to switch the pickups though, they're pretty awful!), or alternatively, washburn make some pretty nice guitars in the same price range- the x50pro, or washburn wi65/66 pro would be worth a look. They come already loaded with duncans, so you wouldn't have to switch the pickups. Over here, they're a similar price to, if not cheaper than, the prs se, though it'll probably vary a bit in the states.

For the amp, I'd take a look at the traynor ycv50blue, or the ycv40 if you want a more fender-y tone. they're great value over there. Much better than the equivalent fender amps, in my opinion. rivera are quite nice too, they might be worth a look, though possibly any with a high enough wattage may be well over budget. a pubster/clubster 45 might not be, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say the Washburn x50pro absolutely toasts the PRS SE models, but that's not to say they're bad. They're quite good, just, the Washburn is better.
get the X50, you will love it.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Dave_Mc
guitar-wise, the prs se would be worth a look (you'll probably want to switch the pickups though, they're pretty awful!), or alternatively, washburn make some pretty nice guitars in the same price range- the x50pro, or washburn wi65/66 pro would be worth a look. They come already loaded with duncans, so you wouldn't have to switch the pickups. Over here, they're a similar price to, if not cheaper than, the prs se, though it'll probably vary a bit in the states.

For the amp, I'd take a look at the traynor ycv50blue, or the ycv40 if you want a more fender-y tone. they're great value over there. Much better than the equivalent fender amps, in my opinion. rivera are quite nice too, they might be worth a look, though possibly any with a high enough wattage may be well over budget. a pubster/clubster 45 might not be, though.

Alright, I'll try out the washburn x50pro and most likely the wi65/66, I'm going to guitar center today actually, and I'll post here what I like there. I like the fact they're already loaded with duncans and I'll try the traynor as well ycv50blue for sure and possibly the ycv40. I'm really looking for a marshall tone, but marshall's are a bit expensive (even used) other than MG's which I'll NEVER get. But, I have heard good things about traynor and I want something in my price range and around 50 watts so idk about the rivera.
To Danno and tubaplayer:

Which x50pro are you talking about? The quilted top or flame top? MF doesn't say the flame top comes with duncans so I assume the quilted top which is more in my price range anyway . I'll be sure to try it today it sounds like a great guitar, it doesn't neccessarily look like my type of guitar, but the sound and the feel are more important. I'll be sure to try it today.
Quote by paintITblack39
You seem to be complaining that you only have about $1500. I'd be happy to have $1500 to use in guitar products. Sorry I just had to get that out of my system.

Anyway, the Fender DeVille seems like a good idea. I'd say go with the Fender.

It's ok I understand, but the reason I posted I ONLY had that much money was because I can not go over that price range, so people will not say, well for ONLY 100 more than $1500 you could get this. I will most likely have 1,300. And the DeVille is my favorite amp in my price range so far. However, I do like the Traynors.
Quote by SG-Newkronic
U could get a Vox valvetronix AD100VT or a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package its only $600.00 USD

marshall- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100HDFXMG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package?sku=482807

Vox- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD100VT-100W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482623

Both amps looked fairly good, but idk, I really don't need 100 watts..... Were either of them tube though? They might be but I couldn't find it on the MF page.
FWIW, i think the traynor ycv40 is nicer than those fenders, but that's just me. I haven't tried the ycv50, but from all accounts, it's more marshally (it has el34 power tubes, for a start). Try everything you can, including those riveras (I don't know where stocks them, though they'll have a dealer list on their website).

also, neither the marshall mg (awful!), nor the vox valvetronix (haven't tried, but by all accounts better than the mg) are all-tube. by all means try them to compare to those tube models, though. Better that YOU decide they suck (or indeed, that they don't!), than us tell you and you don't even try them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dilweed
To Danno and tubaplayer:

Which x50pro are you talking about? The quilted top or flame top? MF doesn't say the flame top comes with duncans so I assume the quilted top which is more in my price range anyway . I'll be sure to try it today it sounds like a great guitar, it doesn't neccessarily look like my type of guitar, but the sound and the feel are more important. I'll be sure to try it today.

the quilted. the FE is flamed with real EMG's. (81/85)

and i dont think you will be able to find them at GC unless they were traded in.

however, sam ash has them.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!