im lookin for personal opinion on which you think is better, halfstacks or combos? im looking to buy and want to know what most people like more
people around here say "Halfstack is over kill and makes you look like a douche bag" but if i could afford it i would have one. with a practice amp to haha. got to have one that you can carry.
First off if i know what you u/n means i would like to say Mastodon kicks ass

OK on to topic I prefer halfstacks but combos are just as good. its preference combos take up less space and are generally easier to move Halstacks have a little more to it so you need more space but they look cooler
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
it my personal opinion i would definately go for a combo. it is nice to easily transport your amp. it does depend what you will be doing and how many watts you need.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
i prefer combo's Halfstacks are just too much for me.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
If i were you id do what i did. i bought a combo and then a cabnet. so i can take the combo to practices and use the cab with the combo for shows. i also like to run them in stereo and it sounds really kick ass. that is if you have enough money if not buy the combo you can always buy a cab for it later.
Some amps are better in halfstack, some in combo, like the ac30 for instance ==> combo!
But then the mesa mark IV ==> Halfstack!
tube combos > ss halfstacks.

i like combos and like was said earlier, i get a cab for a gig.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
well im startin to save now, i just want to know what to save for, i might satart gigging by the time i get my money
I think that there is only a point in getting a halfstack if you can get a good one. I'd love a halfstack but I'm not going to get some cheap one just because it's a halfstack, I'll wait until I can afford a really good one. Until then I'll stick with combos.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Well it would be pretty stupid to get a halfstack to play in your bedroom. Unless your playing venues that require alot of sound, ie large bars, auditoriums, etc., a combo is more than sufficient. You can always plug a combo into a cab or mike it as well.
what's your current amp, what music do you play, what guitar do you have, and how much cash do you have for said upgrade?

saying do you prefer halfstacks or combos is a bit like saying do you prefer hatchabacks or saloons. obviously a mercedes hatchback (equivalent to tube combo) is better than a lada salooon (solid state halfstack).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It looks really freaking cool having a sweet halfstack on stage. But it has to be a cool halfstack, other wise i'd rather see a combo. or get a combo and run it into a cab. Like i run my gibson into my orange. Much better sound and looks alot more rock and roll! but there is nothing like going to a club and seeing a DR.Z into an Orange cab or something like that.
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
ok i play metal, slipknot, children of bodom, ynwie malmsteen, dragonforce, trivium.... and i wanna spend $800-$1000 USD
oh and i have a epi lp, schecter damien fr, yamaha rg somethin, and a squier, those are my electrics
^ i'm guessing a peavey 5150/5150 II (or their modern equivalents, the 6505 or 6505+) would be good for those tones, if you can make do with pretty poor cleans. You can get them in either combo or stack form, so I guess it's down to which you can afford and/or find.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's not a matter of "which is better" because you can't really compare combos and halfstacks. If you have a combo and the head version of the same amp, then ideally you should get the same tone, just louder (assuming you have a good 4x12 with it.) All in all, it comes completely down to what is the most logical decision for you. Think of these points...

1. Halfstacks are more expensive, since you need to buy both a head and cabinet.

2. Combos are smaller and therefore (usually) easier for transportation. Although some of the heaviest 2x12's will absolutely break your back if you're not fit.

3. Some people prefer halfstacks because of the ability to "move air" These people aren't satisfied just to have a killer tone. They want to FEEL the sound as well. You can't move anywhere near as much air with a combo as you can with a good halfstack.

4. With tube amps, they only really start to sing once you get those valves cooking by boosting up your volume. In a live setting, you may not get the tone you want with a halfstack because it is way too loud at the higher volumes you need to really let your rig's tone shine. Combos, instead of halfstacks, are often used to record for the same reason.

So as you can see, it comes down to what you think you need. Do you value portability, conveniance, and the ability to crank it over sheer sonic power? Think combo. Do you play large venues and want your tone to just smack people in the face? Think halfstack.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail