I bought my first tube amp yesterday and I was playing it for an hour or two and at the end of playing that thing was so hot! Even the standby and power switches were very hot to the touch. Do all tube amps do this?
well, the tubes/valves get hot, that's for sure. presumably if they're close to the power/standby they might get hot too (mine don't). If it's on fire, or you can smell burning, there's something wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yea I sued my local guitar center cause I burnt myself while messing around with a Mesa head. I had this huge burn right accross my cheek. But luckily we just settled for 500$
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by cubedeathk
Yea I sued my local guitar center cause I burnt myself while messing around with a Mesa head. I had this huge burn right accross my cheek. But luckily we just settled for 500$

why would you be rubbing your face on it
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
Quote by cubedeathk

are you that much of an idiot? you rub your face against a Tube amp and then sue them? are you seriosuly that retarded?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
I was gettin up in there to make sure all the components were wired right. I didnt want to spend that much on a head and then it turns out its broken.

but still, that was your own fault, i wouldent be an asshole and sue someone for doing something damaging to myself
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
haha that's great. i should do that. i could burn myself on purpose, get the money, and then buy the amp i got burned from!!
Quote by _Buxton_
haha that's great. i should do that. i could burn myself on purpose, get the money, and then buy the amp i got burned from!!

Acctually I accidently unplugged the cab as I jerked away and ruined the amp, so I couldnt do that.

Quote by Dave_Mc
well, the tubes/valves get hot, that's for sure. presumably if they're close to the power/standby they might get hot too (mine don't). If it's on fire, or you can smell burning, there's something wrong.

Well actually. With a brand new tube amp, there'll be an annoying smell the first day or so. Smells like burning, but then it goes away and everyone is happy.
Quote by cubedeathk
Acctually I accidently unplugged the cab as I jerked away and ruined the amp, so I couldnt do that.

you got $500 for braking a $1800 amp, i don't know how GC came to a settlement.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I was suprised as well but I think they just didnt want to get all that media attention of a lawsuit, and they didnt want other people who heard about it to try it themselves.

Quote by TimmyPage06
Well actually. With a brand new tube amp, there'll be an annoying smell the first day or so. Smells like burning, but then it goes away and everyone is happy.

fair enough, i don't think I noticed that smell when I got my new amp (but then my sense of smell is pretty much non-existant from being in a chemistry lab for several years).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
tube amps get hot. the tubes have to get hot to work. and the glass when its new will make a funny smell when they heat up. same with metal.

thats why new ovens smell really bad. i was at the local pizza place when they got new pizza holders (things that go in the oven to keep the pizza off the main rack) and it smelled horrible in there.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
The on/off and standby switches got really hot? That sounds a little weird. Yes tube amps get hot, maybe you were just pushing it really hard. If that continues a good idea would be to half a small personal fan running behind the amp to help keep it cool. It makes a big difference.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by cubedeathk
I was gettin up in there to make sure all the components were wired right. I didnt want to spend that much on a head and then it turns out its broken.

Seems to me that if you didn't realize that tube amps get hot and you shouldn't put your face up to one that has just been used, then you're not qualified to judge whether the amp is wired correctly.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by cubedeathk

And that is why I'm glad I live in the UK... We may have more than our fair share of idiots but at least we don't sue each other over our own idiocy. (yet.)

As long as you don't try and replace the tubes straight after a long practise I've never really had a problem with the heat tbh.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
a few years back, i see my first tube amp, im looking at it, and i touched a tube, burnt my finger. but i kept it to myself, because it was a stupid thing to do (this was before i knew anything about tube amps)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
It's the B-52 AT-212 combo amp. Yeah, I've noticed the funny smell and I figured it was because it was new. but the front of the amp where the switches and knobs are are all metal so the heat kind of spread through them (if you're into computers, then it sort of acts as a heatsink).
Quote by jlhenry
why would you be rubbing your face on it

it is a mesa amp
Quote by rockxwl
Seems to me that if you didn't realize that tube amps get hot and you shouldn't put your face up to one that has just been used, then you're not qualified to judge whether the amp is wired correctly.

haha, pwnt.

Quote by power freak
And that is why I'm glad I live in the UK... We may have more than our fair share of idiots but at least we don't sue each other over our own idiocy. (yet.)

As long as you don't try and replace the tubes straight after a long practise I've never really had a problem with the heat tbh.

gah, we aren't a million miles away from the USA in that respect... give it a few years, then it'll probably be as bad...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
/start of rant

I hate nowadays how people can sue anyone for absolutely anything. "I am fat so I sued McDonald's for a ridiculous amount of money because I have absolutely no self control and I am a fat stupid piece of ****."

Also everyone has to be politically correct. Got forbid someones feelings get hurt. Some people don't want kids playing games on the playground because certain kids lose. Get the **** over it, it is a god damned game. Other people want to change Christmas trees to Holidays trees and people are not suppose to say "Merry Christmas" to people because they might not be christian. Shut the **** up. We don't tell jewish people to call you Manoras(sp?) "Holiday Candlesticks" or Muslims to call their towels or whatever "Religion Hats or Headwear." Jesus christ.

/end of rant

Ok back to the point of the thread. Why did you put your face on an amp? Seriously you must be an idiot. All tube amps heat up, some just heat up more than others.
I've read somewhere that those AT-100 heads melt on the outside after a while... I don't know if this rumor is true though but it wouldn't surprise me if it gets that hot!
Haven't noticed it on mine. The only part that I have noticed getting really hot is the metal grills on the top of the amps.
I have a small fan I use to blow into the top vents to circulate the air. You should do this
Quote by jmac72187

Ok back to the point of the thread. Why did you put your face on an amp? Seriously you must be an idiot. All tube amps heat up, some just heat up more than others.

Like I said I was making sure I wasnt paying that much for a mesa head with replacement crap electronics.

yeah ive heard from plenty of people the B-52's are known for being really hot when you push the tubes. like many people have said before, just get a cheap $5 or $10 mini fan and place it behind it to keep it cool.