I'm having a very hard time with this run:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------12-15-14--|
|--------------------------------------------------12-15-------12-15-----------|
|--------------------------------12-14-------12-14-------12-14-----------------|
|--------------12-14-------12-14-------12-14-----------------------------------|
|--------12-14-------12-14-----------------------------------------------------|
|--12-15-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Now, it's only 16th notes at 125bpm. I can play 16th note triplet runs at 200bpm. It's just the fact that it's only a two notes per-string run, so I feel very uncomfortable when alternate picking it. Essentially, I'm experiencing the 'inside the box' problem that John Petrucci explains in his Rock Discipline DVD. This is a massive problem for me though, and it's aggravating me that I can't play this damn run past 70bpm. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to improve on this problem quickly?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Take it super slowly and build your way up. Cliche I know...but it helps. You just have to move your wrist properly so that you can continue to alternate pick and not lose momentum.
Quote by rockon1824
Have you tried barring your index finger across the 12th fret and using your ring finger and pinky to fret the other notes? That's the only thing I can think of...

I wouldn't try that, because I think the strings keep ringing that way..

Smokey Amp: Perhaps do every second note on the same string with a hammer-on?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
I wouldn't try that, because I think the strings keep ringing that way..

Smokey Amp: Perhaps do every second note on the same string with a hammer-on?

I'm not a massive fan of legato, especially for runs like this that should be picked. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
well, like kirby said, you have to take it slow and build up from there...try minimizing the amount of pick movement because this can cause you to slow down, especially when crossing strings...isolate the difficulty, break it up and play it independently with both hands...first play it with just your left, then just focus on the picking motions with your right hand...perhaps it's the mechanic behind the picking that's throwing you off i.e. leading with a downstroke...maybe it's that your coordination between your hands isn't quite right...i can't tell you for sure, but just evaluate yourself and figure out the problem, and make a separate exercise for it
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.