So, i was playing guitar last night and i was having a little trouble playing the intro to "sweet child o' mine" because the action on my guitar is a bit too high. I already lowered down the bridge on the guitar as far as i can without getting any fret buzz, but it's still kinda high cuz of the nut. how can i lower the nut on the guitar so that the strings are lower? do i just sand it down or what?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
is there a way i can do that myself? i'm trying this thing where i want to mess as much as possible with my guitar to eventually learn from my own mistakes.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
is there a way i can do that myself? i'm trying this thing where i want to mess as much as possible with my guitar to eventually learn from my own mistakes.

Use a file?
mmmk.
Quote by jmt
Shave the nut. Hehe.

tee hee

anywho try just filing it
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
If you have a vice and a sanding block, that's probably the way to go. I'd say start with medium grit paper and then smooth it off with lighter grit.

Or just practice more.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

but take it out and sand the underside. Otherwise, get a set of special files made for working on guitar nuts, and deepen the string grooves a tiny bit. Also, try using a lighter gauge strings, you might find they are better, action wise. If you are already using super slinkies, first off, stop and get something other than ernie ball (they work for some, but I broke the g string all the time, even on like 52's and stuff). I tried to change my nut, but broke it. Then I tried to use a heat gun to loosen it, and before I even thought about it, the nut melted all over the strings that were loose, but still on the guitar. When I stoppe dheating it and tried to hammer it out again, it just kept shattering on me, so I caved and paid the local shop to fix it and file the grooves right on a new nut.
Quote by evening_crow

yea dude, its really simple, all you do is take a nail file, and file down all of the grooves.
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
Quote by MsterofPuppets7
yea dude, its really simple, all you do is take a nail file, and file down all of the grooves.

ignore this prat.

first rempve the nut but heating it up. how you do that is your concern. but the glue will start to weaken and then it can just be pulled out. onc it's out clan both the nut and hole of glue residue and place the nut into the slot. make a mark on it to show the origonal height andthen gently sand the bottom taking care to do so evenly. aslo pop it back in every so often to check the action height. once it is correct glue it back in string up and play. it should only need a millimeter or so off, two at the extreme outside.