I took the neck off of my guitar yesterday because I was going to paint the body. However I changed my mind and put the neck back on. Now there is something very wrong with my guitar. I put some new stings on it today and I had to raise the bridge up super high just so the strings were not touching the fretboard. Also even after I tuned it to standard the strings were still exremely loose.

I think this may have something to do with the fact that when I was bolting the neck back on, one of the the screws became re-tracked. Either that or I left it stringless for too long and the neck bowed but it doesn't look very warped.

Can someone please help me?
With a name like Yakult, it has to be good. Vote Yakult.

Member #11 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie
Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp

Roland Deschain of UG's Heroes and Villains Clubs.
At the top of the neck there hsould be a alon key slot which you need to tighten. This will reduce the bend on the neck which is why it would seem to be too close to the strings. Its hard to explain without diagrams. But I think thats probably whats wrong with it.
if you're going to mess with your truss rod, make sure you don't turn the wrench more than an 1/8th of a turn per hour. I've heard you can really screw up your neck.
www.myspace.com/theflyingelderly
We're Progressive Funk Rock (Frog Rock)

Founding Member of the Vermont Cult
PM Me to join

Quote by magnus_maximus
MAD should do its job and it'll all be hunky-dory.
After reading about it, my neck seems to have back-bowed.
With a name like Yakult, it has to be good. Vote Yakult.

Member #11 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie
Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp

Roland Deschain of UG's Heroes and Villains Clubs.