Hey guys. I'm in the process of attaining my goal rig right now. My Blues Junior will be mine within a few weeks and I want to make sure my guitar is completely set up the way I want.

It's a Dean flying V, and its always had a rather "punchy", strat-like quality to it. So I would like to put a coil-split humbucker into the neck position for those warm, buttery blues leads. Is there a humbucker that sounds like an actual single-coil strat when split? I have no expirience with coil-splitting and I am unfamiliar with the tone it produces.

I was leaning towards a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 (neck). Would that give me a strat-like blues tone when coil-split? Thanks for any help.
^ yeah, but then presumably your humbucker tones will suffer (duncan also make a model similar to the AMP).

simple answer is, you're gonna have to compromise with either the humbucker or single coil tones. Or else get a guitar with both humbuckers and singles.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I have a Washburn WI66 Pro and the stock pickups are a Duncan SH-1 59
in the neck, and a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge.

Just so happens that there is a demo video of the guitar on the Washburn
site. Here's the link.

http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/idol/media/wi66proclean.wmv

He's definitely playing through the '59 in this video, and demostrating the
Washburn VCC tone controls, which are supposed to give you a more single
coil sound from the humbuckers when you turn it down (basically, just a coil
splitter according to some)

Now...if only I could play like this dude
I used to be a necropheliac who was into sadomasochistic bestiality...

...'til I realized I was just beating a
dead horse.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, but then presumably your humbucker tones will suffer (duncan also make a model similar to the AMP).

simple answer is, you're gonna have to compromise with either the humbucker or single coil tones. Or else get a guitar with both humbuckers and singles.

So you're saying that by coil-splitting the humbucker, I'd be diminishing the sound quality of the pickup alltogether.. even when played in humbucker mode?
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
So you're saying that by coil-splitting the humbucker, I'd be diminishing the sound quality of the pickup alltogether.. even when played in humbucker mode?

No, you'd have a real singlecoil sound, but the Humbucker sound would be different to (not necessarily worse than) a regular humbucker in sound.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
No, you'd have a real singlecoil sound, but the Humbucker sound would be different to (not necessarily worse than) a regular humbucker in sound.

I guess this is one of those things you've just gotta commit to doing.. then see how much you like it.

What if I split the 'bucker but decide I dont like the resulting tones in either SC or HB mode? Is the process reversable? I'd probably only be willing to do it if I knew I could always reset the humbucker back to it's original state.
What are those EMG's people like K.King use and all those newish metalers?

Theyre like EMG buckers but two single coils stuck together, ive never bothered to find out?
Quote by SuburbanCowboy

no, you misunderstand.

a regular humbucker, split, will not affect its humbucking sound.

But the A.M.P. (and duncan equivalent) are manufactured more like two single coils stuck together (with rod magnets, rather than bar (which are used in regular humbuckers), as far as i know), so they won't sound like humbuckers when not split.

For the same reason, but vice versa, you can split regular humbuckers, but they won't sound just as good as "true" single coils.

So yeah, you basically have to decide, which do you use more? if single coils, get something like the A.M.P. and put up with brighter, more single coil-like humbucker tones. If you use regular humbuckers more, get a regular humbucker, and put up with slightly compromised split tones.

bear in mind, I haven't tried the A.M.P. or its Duncan equivalent, but I'm going by my general (lack of) knowledge of pickups- physics won't let it sound exactly the same, as it's not exactly the same...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no, you misunderstand.

a regular humbucker, split, will not affect its humbucking sound.

But the A.M.P. (and duncan equivalent) are manufactured more like two single coils stuck together (with rod magnets, rather than bar (which are used in regular humbuckers), as far as i know), so they won't sound like humbuckers when not split.

For the same reason, but vice versa, you can split regular humbuckers, but they won't sound just as good as "true" single coils.

So yeah, you basically have to decide, which do you use more? if single coils, get something like the A.M.P. and put up with brighter, more single coil-like humbucker tones. If you use regular humbuckers more, get a regular humbucker, and put up with slightly compromised split tones.

bear in mind, I haven't tried the A.M.P. or its Duncan equivalent, but I'm going by my general (lack of) knowledge of pickups- physics won't let it sound exactly the same, as it's not exactly the same...

I see what you're saying now. And I think I'm gonna stick with the coil-split SD '59. I know I'm not playing a strat, so I think I owe it to myself and the guitar to have a nice fat, humbucker neck tone. With the option to have a more-punchy single-coil tone when I want (although not strat-sounding unfortunatley )

Thanks for the answers, guys. I'll definitley post clips whenever its finished of both humbucker and coil-split modes.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?