Can someone plz tell me the diff between the chromatic scale and the major scale .....i read the article learning music theory by slash_pawns ....was awsome ...but got compleately confused on this part....for ex as we all know the C major scale has the notes CDEFGABC ...but when it somes to the chromatic scale the sharps are also included ...which one should i follow ?
the chromatic scale uses all 12 tones (Ab-G) and all the half steps

a major scale is a diatonic, or seven-tone scale, using only 7 notes, which in the case of C major would be C-B

not an entire review of the subject, but the extremely basic idea of it
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
A Chromatic scale contains (basically) every note from the root to the next octave so in c it is C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C. The c major scale is within the chromatic scale (the bold ones) because the chromatic is every note.

In other words....

Chromatic scales are just half steps up until you get to the octave, major scales are in this step sequence: root, whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole, half step back to root. Use chromatic scales rarely because they dont usually sound that good over most chords because they contain alot of notes outside the key.

Hopefully that made sence, and hopefully i didn't mess anything up