Any suggestions?
I want something flexible that will sound decent enough playing from blues to metal.
My price range is up to around $500.
So far I'm considering a mexican Strat, Epiphone Firebird(which I most likely won't get since I haven't heard anything about it), and an Epiphone Les Paul.
Last edited by aeginotu at Aug 7, 2006,
actually epihone makes an explorer thats really good. the firebird is a nice guitar 2. but try the Goth Explorer by epiphone or the normal Explorer.
Naw, get an Epiphone les paul. Beats the crap out of the explorer.

Jason A.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
epiphone les paul is awesome, also, have you considered a PRS SE? that might be a tad north of your price range but they're good
Well, I don't mind saving up a bit more cash if the PRS SE is a good step up from the epiphone stuff.
Ibanez S470, or a Strat.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
The S470 looks pretty good, but I've never really heard anything about Ibanez as a company.
Have you been living in a cave?
It's Ibanez man, it's like saying you haven't heard anything about Fender !!!

The S470 is very good, i played it, i own an RG 350 but wouldn't recommend it if you wanna play blues.

Do you want a tremolo in it or not? (Whammy bar i mean)
get a fender hsss strat. there really versatile
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
you could probably get a really nice jackson dinky for about 500 if you didnt mind buying off of ebay
Well, I don't need the tremolo, but I would like it if just to screw around with.

So of PRS SE, S470, and the Epiphone explorer which would be the best and would last the longest until I put more money into a better guitar?
^ Id go with the s470. The PRS isnt a bad guitar either.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
id go with the PRS, Ibanez guitars arent really that flexible and gennerally have really ****ty pickups.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ The s470 isnt flexibile? H-S-H , thin mahogony body, 22frets and aanj.

What you smoking, and PRS SE pups suck as well.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
If I'm going to get either of them I should replace the pickups then?
What are some decent intermediate-level skill pickups?(two humbuckers and a single in case I decide on the Ibanez)
Depends on your style...

Classic Rock? Blues? Metal? Shred?
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Well. I play mostly classic rock and metal, but I do play blues and shred.
Some sort of Schecter would be perfect for you.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
If you want to go down the les paul route, get a Tokai. They absolutely blow the epiphones away in almost every aspect.

Where could I get the Tokai?
Also, it seems that Musicians friend sells a Korean made S470, which isn't as good.
Should I get it from a specific place?

Also, bump!
The s series is korean made, but its still a aquality guitar.
Look around on ebay for tokais.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
If I'm willing to buy used stuff, what kind of higher level stuff worth buying comes into the price range?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Shadow-Electric-Guitar?sku=512295

My freind has a michael kelly, that model exactly, i played that guitar i dunno how long today, it has a finished neck, but its satin so you dont have to worry about not being able to slide and the neck bowing foward.

The pickups sound excellent and it has coil tap where you can split the humbuckers into the individual coils in them to give it a cleaner Single coil fender tone.

It has a mahogany body so it has sustain for days. 22 frets, abalone square markers.

my only complaint is the wieght, and the fact where its the les paul setup (3 pickup selector at the top and 4 knobs that are way too far away from the bridge)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
well the mexican strat is probably the best guitar that you mentioned, but it can't do metal so i'd probably say the les paul or maybe the prs i've never played one of the se models but they're supposed to be good
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Cocnut Rag
well the mexican strat is probably the best guitar that you mentioned, but it can't do metal

strats can do metal, just swap out pups with lace sensor reds/seymour-duncan hotrails

on a clean channel those pickups would prolly give you a slighty overdriven bluesey sound
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Well, if I get a Strat I can upgrade the pickups(IE a Lace Sensor Red).
I'll probably go strat and buy the LS-Red, are the Noiseless pickups worth buying?
i'll sell you my epiphone les paul.
it has a duncan 59' and a dimebucker
also signed my michael angelo batio!
if you'd believe me i'd tell you everything
Quote by aeginotu
Well. I play mostly classic rock and metal, but I do play blues and shred.

Fender HSS strat

i have one and its good for all of those except i dont know about shred cause i cant do it
yeah.