I finally found the DIY distortion sound i've been hunting for here I love how this sounds, but it would be nice to have a gain and a level control, does anyone know how i would go about doing this or does anyone know of a pedal which still delivers that thick raunchy rough yet creamy distortion and has those controls?
I only just glanced at it, but my first impressions would be to hook a pot up to the 2.2uF.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
OK, a more definite/detailed answer (i.e. what lugs go where) would be great.

And another question, with the trim pot, with the red cap included in the circuit, could i use a normal pot to be able to adjust the high end filter? kind of like a presence control?
It looks like the FET is being used to clip the signal since the distort similarly to valves (as opposed to harsher transistor clipping) - Dumble amps sometimes used this to get the right sort of tone. Just a quick idea, but increasing the size of the resistor to the left of the red capacitor should decrease the clipping. Just an idea, but if you've already built the circuit it won't do any harm and might be worth a try.
Trim pot question: yes.

As for the 2.2uF, just hook it up so there is a variable resistor. Lug one to Q3, lug 2 to 2.2uF.

EDIT:
Oops sorry, I was thinking Q3 was bipolar. My bad, didn't look hard enough. Stallyn is right, what's going on is that the FET is being boosted into OD by the two bipolars in front of it. Changing the 10k changes the amount of current being sent into Q2, therefore adjusting how much it is overdriven, if that makes sense at all.

You don't need to connect lug 3, or you can bridge it to lug 2.
And read my edit, you're gonna want to replace the 10k with a pot. Add a 5 or 10k pot in series wired as a variable resistor, that should give you a good range.

I just didn't read the schmatic as closely as I should have the first time. Sorry.
thats cool . so the 10K pot up full will be the same as having a normal 10K resistor there right? and what pots are log and lin? all n00b questions i know, but im still settling on my firsrt couple of pedals to build and i'm still learning
I mean in series...
Leave the 10k in there now. This will set the max gain. Now if you add another 10k pot, you can vary the total resistance from 10k to 20k. As the resistance of the pot increases, less current goes to Q2, thus causing it to boost the JFET less. Therefore, less distortion is produced.

Keep any possible questions coming.
hmmm, i'm a bit confused by that, is it possible to have the pot be letting the current from teh 10K resistor straight through untouched, but then also be able to drop the current down a little bit more and maybe also slightly up a little bit more. so i have variation both ways.
I don't know what you mean...if you turn the pot down to 0k, you have the stock pedal at full gain(10k total resistance in that area). As you turn the resistance of the pot up, you get 11k, 12k, 13k, and so on up to 20k total resistance. This will cut the current going into Q2, giving it less gain in that position, and therefore less distortion.

If you want to let more current in for "full gain" just lower the value of the fixed 10k resistor. You can always just have a 25k pot alone, but this isn't as polished as the fixed 10k and pot.

If you're not following, I can draw a diagram.
ah, that just made perfect sense, it was like 2 am when i read you previous post last night, but it makes sense now, would i wire the pot differently or just mount turned 180 degress so that when i turn the pot to the right the resistance decreases so the gain gets higher?