one of my acoustic guitars seems to have pretty bad intonation recently... when i play an open string, 12th fret, and 12th fret harmonic, they all sound different. it makes pretty much anything i play sound crappy. so my question... is it possible to adjust this myself on an acoustic guitar (i know how to on an electric), or will i need to take it in to the shop? and what will they do to fix it? adjusting the neck or what?
Usually when the intonation on an acoustic is way off it is because of humidity. If the humidity is too high or too low then it will shag your intonation. thing is, once you ajust it, if the humidity changes again you are stuck getting a new saddle

So 1st thing you need to do is make sure the humidity is somewhere between 30 and 70 percent. If it is higher or lower then that then don't do anything to change the intonation. Next you need to make check the intonation using the fretted note rather than harmonics. When you fret the note on the 12th fret is it off?

The only way to change the intonation on an acoustic is to use a file and reshape the saddle. If you change it then you can never switch it back so it's a good idea to get a luthier to do it if you are not confident you can do it yourself.
Not taking any online orders.
yes, the harmonic is off as well as the fretted note on the 12th fret. about the humidity, my room is fairly humid but i do have a dehumidifier running so i am sure it would be between 30 and 70%. right now its probably around 55-60%. another factor here might be that a while ago the bridge was lowered and some relief added to the neck to reduce fret buzzing (this was done professionally). looking back i wonder if it would have been better to let it stay the way it was. also.. the gutiar is a few years old and has experienced the same temperature and humidity before with no problems. anyways i';ll probably give the shop a call and see what they have to say.
I think that would be best.

Just wondering... Is the intonation high or low?
Not taking any online orders.
the note on the 12th fret is higher than it should be. if thats what you mean. thanks for the help
Quote by pb&guitar
the note on the 12th fret is higher than it should be. if thats what you mean. thanks for the help

The pitch is higher, or is the STRING higher?
change `em
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Quote by MySweetFracture
The pitch is higher, or is the STRING higher?

he said the "note" is higher
"note"... as in pitch. as for changing the strings, they are fairly new.
another thing i forgot to mention before is that one day at school (guitar class) i pulled it out of its case to find that one string was broken and the other 5 were tightened way tighter than they should have been. this could have done some damage to the neck maybe... so now i have a lock on the case.
Last edited by pb&guitar at Aug 10, 2006,