Ok I had a good chat with a fellow UGer who suggested for my metal tastes getting an OD pedal and this amp..my only dilemma is the amount of money i have..i only make about 170 canadian a week as I am a student and work P/T..this amp goes for about 8 canadian+taxes...so can this do metal pretty well? whats the most inexpensive OD pedal that would give me a nice metal tone, dont suggest nothing mesa or anything please...i just cant afford that...the traynor will probly be as high as I can go...and i dont have a visa so cant use ebay or anything...thanks..so to sum up just asking can that setup do metal decently? better then most ss amps anyway? thanks again
I need heavier then maiden...think Machine Head,Silent Civilian or The Black Dahlia Murder? I am also looking for a used 5150 combo, but if that doesnt work out, I want to know what the Traynor is like
hey, I dont have any suggestions on that but your gonna do the monthly payments right? cause then you get it right away and you just keep on paying it
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
you might want to consider getting one of the 40 watt traynor's, the ycv40 or wr. i have the wr and it can do a pretty good metallica tone w/o a pedal at low volumes.
then It picks up and gets dirtier at higher volumes (like a tube amp....who wouldve guessed) and its plenty loud. You would be able to get a better quality overdrive with the money you save getting ten watts less. It's quite a bit cheaper, I got my wr for 5 something with taxes canadian used. Definitely compare them and see if it'll make a huge difference.
The old get old and the young get stronger,
May take a week and it may take longer
yea man , you can pay it off in a certain amount of months, alotta stores do it. I think you have to pay it off in 12 months.
Quote by King ofKumbucha
well if thats the case that would be pretty crazy...it would certainly open up my eyes, i could throw down a little 400 dollar downpayment and get a f-30 combo or something? thatd be so sweet..anyways ill give them an email..thanks giorgio...
lol yea your welcome man thats what im planning on doing to get a PRS and a traynor YCV80
Quote by King ofKumbucha
sweet..i still dont wanna pay too much tho, but i guess with that theres no rush to get it all out of the way and wait..so maybe by the end of the month ill have 400 and go over and snag a nice combo
cool
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Hey, D, I think Traynors (the YCV series) are modelled after Fender amps, I think, so the clean tone is what they really value. I'm not trying to discourage from buying one as I'm considering one myself. I just thought you should know.

As far as I know, the Peavey line of amps are pretty popular with metal players. The 5150 and 6505+ amps and stuff like that are worth a look, maybe? There are combo versions for those amps. Check craigslist for used amps.
thanks, i just called long and mcquade giorgio, they have 2 interest rates, 17% or 24, that is ****in nuts man, thats horrible..if i bought like a 1300 amp id get murdered...
oh yea, sorry I didnt know about those rates, try another local store cause the store I go to(gear music in downtown oakville) also does it and maybe the smaller stores dont have such huge interest rates
Quote by King ofKumbucha
will do...theres 1 more store in my city, they just carry marshall/vox/crate so ill probly have to drive to next city who has peavey and all that...thansk anyways

EDIT: i keep think 17% off of the cost of the amp..but if say i saved up half or more of the down payment on the mesa combo, like 6 or 700...id be paying 17 percent on like 500, theyd only be making like 85 off me in interest terms, so i guess the key is big down payment and ill be fine, so i guess ill start savin and try out some combos in the mean time..
Last edited by d_byrne23 at Aug 8, 2006,
ok good luck
Quote by King ofKumbucha
If its more distortion and overdrive you need then get the ycv50blue over the ycv40. The 50blue has el34 power tubes which are going to give you a little more headroom. On the boost channel with the gain dimed and your bridge pu rolled all the way up it screams very nice. I'm sure if you wanted to throw a tubescreamer or sd-1 it couldn't hurt.
^

thats exactly wut i do, cept i play on about the master at 1.5, channel volume on 9, gain at like 6-7, boost on, then my SD-1 on but with the gain at 0 so it just gives it that little extra kick and it gives me a really good lead metal tone...in my opinon anyway
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue
is this amp well suited for calssic to hard rock. I was looking at maybe the ycv50blue with a 2x12 v30 equipped ext cab???? sorry to but in.
ya this amp can defanitly do classic rock, i would say that it is probably mainly geared for that and hardrock. with the boost off and the gain at around 6 u get like that dirty clean tone that is very classic rockish. If i were u i would just buy the amp and get the extension 1 12 cab(it has a v 30 in it im pretty sure)
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue