Hey people just want your advice im just starting to get into the gigging scene after 3 years in the bedroom i need a decent stage amp as an alternative to a 15 watt fender practice amp. I was considering getting the CRATE GLX212, and I would like to know if any of you guys here at UG have had any problems with it, or advice to give me regarding it cheers
I have a similar crate amp, basically the same thing without the effects. Here's my rundown of it:
The clean channel is pretty decent, not sparkling cleans, but it's pretty good, the reverb is pretty good as well.
The Rhythm channel is absolute garbage imo, not enough gain in that department. The only thing it's really used for is to change the EQ settings since the solo channel and rhythm channel have shared EQ.
THe solo channel is very good, more than enough gain, the shape knob is pretty fun to mess around with. Overall the amp is pretty decent, it does have a lot of feedback, but it's pretty good for the price.
Yeah i have the glx212, and its good, the solo channel is beast, the shape sounds good especailly with scooped mids. Good price and good amp, give it a go.
thanks for the advice guys, would it be suitable for my sort of style, i play mainly vai esque stuff, classic rock, alternative and ska punk? and would it be suitable to use at clubs and pubs?
I had the GFX for years. Not exactly the same but close enough. I agree with what has been said already, but I warn you to be careful if you are mic'ing up the amp. The solo channel with the shape knob turned way up comes out terrible through a PA system if you don't know how to use it. I figured it out and it worked pretty well, but a friend used it one time for a large outdoor concert and the soundguy just had to shut the mic in front of the cab off, it was horrendous.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
ive got a GT212, same as the GLX just with out the effects. and to tell you the truth, i dont like it. the cleans are good and is mainly used for running effects, and the distortion is alright, manily classic rock and some modern rock, nothing that heavy though. but the dirty channels buzz really bad, even with a noise gate. and when you turn it up, the tone breaks up like all solid states. if your gigging, look into a tube combo, youll be a lot happier
Quote by lp_dude_2
ive got a GT212, same as the GLX just with out the effects. and to tell you the truth, i dont like it. the cleans are good and is mainly used for running effects, and the distortion is alright, manily classic rock and some modern rock, nothing that heavy though. but the dirty channels buzz really bad, even with a noise gate. and when you turn it up, the tone breaks up like all solid states. if your gigging, look into a tube combo, youll be a lot happier

hey, whats wrong with the metal master?? i was thinking about getting one... and i have the same amp.. not a good choice?
Quote by McLeet
hey, whats wrong with the metal master?? i was thinking about getting one... and i have the same amp.. not a good choice?

depends, if your just gonna be jammin in your room by your self or maybe with a friend, it sounds good just as long as you dont turn it up that loud, cause then i gets really thin and weak and makes you want to ripe your ears off. since ill be gigging soon i need a tube amp to have awesome tone at high volumes.
Quote by pierce34celtic
^ Agree 100%, all the crates are basically the same, some have effects some don't but the rest is the same, once you turn them up past 3 or 4 you get tons of feedback and it's just plain nasty, and not in a good way.

3 or 4? hell mine buzzes like a mother ****er at like 2.
Quote by pierce34celtic
Maybe I got lucky with mine I can turn it up a 1/4 of the way before it turns into a useless piece of crap.

maybe its the fact that its a XT and not a GT like mine. oh well, in the end, they all suck.
Quote by pierce34celtic
Yeah, within another 4-5 months probably. I have to get the cash first, but my plan is to hopefully swing a used mark IV on ebay and probably a used recto cab as well.

nice. ive got a B-52 AT-212 wait for me at guitar center. im trading in my crate and throwing in about $350 and its mine. i was going to get a dual recto but i couldvt find one locally that was used, casue new is way to pricey for me, and id still have to sell my crate, and we all know how hard that would be. so trading it in for the "poor mans recto" as someone called it seems like a better plan. and if i ever want to up grade to the dual recto, which i probally well later on down the line, itll be easier to sell the B-52 since its a nice all tube amp.
Quote by pierce34celtic
True, how much did they give you for the Crate?

the guy said he'll give me about $250 of credit twards it. the amp is used and is marked for $600. and thats pretty good since i paid like $350 for the crate
Quote by pierce34celtic
that is a good deal, they knocked off 200 of the new price, and they're giving you a good amount for the crate so you're saving a lot of money.

yeah i know. its a win win situation, i get rid of my crate and get a nice tube amp for less then half the price.
i have a crate vtx212 which is pretty much the same thing only it looks different, it is great and i love it. my only thing is i've had it for a year and i had to have it repaired because i fried the effects circuit and the clean channel is messed up because it goes from ridiculously quiet to horrifyingly loud and it sounded like ass but i think it was just my amp because the other vtx's were fine...all in all i would recomend the half stack version because its a stack lol... ps all the other guys were right, the solo channel does have alot of balls..it sounds tubey
Ive only read like half of the thread but yeah... regarding Crate amps: Their all tube amps are decent. Not GREAT, but good/meh. I have a GT500H. Its 50watts tube...and it rules. It a really cool little amp. But their SS stuff sucks bad.
I got a Crate RFX 212. Like Ive seen with all Crate Amps, the cleans are alright before you try turning it up loud. The rhythm channel is horrible and the solo channel is alright but not for my style. I bought it when I didnt have an ear for tone. Cant wait to trade it in for a Fender Blues Deluxe.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste