I don't play bass (but I can), but I have a question to all you pick bassists.

Why do you play with a pick? It is, to me, just limiting your playing. You might aswell just play a guitar with four strings. When you play with your fingers on a bass there is so much more you can do.
Because they can. I am not a fan of picks, unless it is a song that calls for it. But people use them I suppose just because they find it easier, and more natural to them.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
If someone who plays a 4 string guitar wants to use their fingers is there anything stopping them? I use both pick and fingers but I prefer pick since the sound fits my genre of play.
You can play faster, it sounds more aggressive... I'm nto a bass player but you don't need to be a genius to figure that out..
i can play faster with my fingers, but it makes a different sound, and depending on what i'm playing, i might need that kind of sound
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
its nothing like playing a "guitar with four strings". pics are faster. double picking a bass sounds you can turn down the highs in your amp, and it sounds just like youre playing with your fingers. you can get speed and sound at the same time. also, you can make a pic sound really good. some people like a clean bass sound, not just that mushy sound you get from your fingers. think before you make such an ignorant comment.
Excuse me asshole, but I didnt make an ignorant comment, I asked a damn question.

And I understand that you can play faster with a pick, but there is so much more you can do with your fingers on a bass.
*shrug* I don't care if theres more you can do on a bass using your fingers

I prefer the sound when I use a pick

I don't care if that makes me less good than you, or a 'fake' bass player, I just do it the way I like best
Whoa people are gettin pretty uptight about this.

I use my figers probly for the feel of it, i get into it more and feel i have more control, i use a pick when i need to tho, (good for agressive sound and fastpickin ect)

edt: oh yeah to the thread starter - it depends on what style u're playin, for some music using u're fingers could limit u.
Megatallica,

If there is any question about picks slowing down your playing, check out Carles Benavent--he's a flamenco bassist who employs a pick. How fast and expressive is he? Well--he plays with Paco de Lucia, one of the most expressive flamenco guitarists out there.

If you play with a pick, you can still use your middle finger, your ring finger and your pinky to pluck double stops, triple stops, arpeggios, chords, etc. And because it is a pick, you have complete control over the dynamics of the transient pluck. It is a different style than fingerpicking, but it is not any slower, nor does it limit your playing abilities.

http://esflamenco.com/product/en37770631.html

Click on "San Juan" or "Michelle" for a taste of his style of bass playing. He uses a 5 string (E A D G C) on these live pieces.

Email me at physicsbuddha@yahoo.com if you would like other mp3 clips from this bassist. I have pieces that will blow your mind beyond what you think a "picked" bass can do. Victor Wooten speaks highly of Carles, so he can't be all bad...
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by Bassman86
With a pick I can play faster and I like the tone I get.

That's why.

you can go faster on one string or one note, but can you go faster than with your fingers with a complex line that uses all the strings? im not trying to start an argument, i really dont know, i suck with a pick. it just seems to me that if your playing a root 5th octive shape or something, you can use your index middle and ring fingers faster in succession than you can get a pick down all of those.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by Megatallica
Why do you play with a pick? It is, to me, just limiting your playing. You might aswell just play a guitar with four strings.

lol
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
You'd use a pick for a different sound, more "punky" maybe. I hardly ever use picks, because they severely limit my ability to randomly throw huge tapping interludes into what i play
The Space Farmer and Co-Founding Bastardo of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
i play pick i am not a fan of the muffled sound of finger picking. and i play alot of hardcore music (norma jean etc etc) and alot of the music in that genre calls for double/triple picking
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Im personally faster with my fingers but fingerpicking gives a more blended tone and a pick has a brighter easier to hear tone.

~ps~ i use both
Quote by crazypeanutman
you can go faster on one string or one note, but can you go faster than with your fingers with a complex line that uses all the strings? im not trying to start an argument, i really dont know, i suck with a pick. it just seems to me that if your playing a root 5th octive shape or something, you can use your index middle and ring fingers faster in succession than you can get a pick down all of those.

I play heavy metal. I can only finger pick with two fingers and when the riff is 220bpms with 8th notes, my fingers can't keep up. Plus as I said before, I can't get the punchy tone I like without a pick unless I spent great amounts of money.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS