I am slowly but surely improving. I started practing sweeping about 3 days ago and I can already do 5 string sweeping arpeggios!!!

But what I want to be able to do is just sit down and shred away without a care in the world!!!!

What should I start doing, other than training my chops to a metronome? Like what scales are great for shredding in, and how should I go about knowing them all over the fret board, in any key?
shredding varies:
personally id learn speed an finger stretchin first
then apply them to scales

if youve got guitar pro you can get a shredding exercise tab
or find a backing track riff an practise scale movement over the top of that
[more interesting than a metronome atleast...?]
=MAY THE HAND OF GOD STRIKE THEM DOWN=

+Rip Dimebag+

Gear:

Ibanez RG170
Epiphone SG Standard G400
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Boss Metal Zone MT2
Boss V-WAH
Digitech Whammy
Spider Line 6 II 30W
I'm a minor person myself, like so why did the pianist get arrested? because he finger A minor. . . I love pentatonic sweeps and stuff, but yeah. .. . . practice makes perfect so you are on the right track. . . just don't let form defeat function.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
thats a big order, if you already know some music theory and scales yer set, if not then i would recommend learning some, another thing, if you can have some backing tracks to improv over that would help immensely, i used to have this crappy tape record that i used and i loved it cuz i could write a guitar piece and practice solos over it and know exactly what they would sound like. training to a metronome is definately good, practicing scales over it (as repititious as it seems) can work wonders, and i would also recommend playing the scales out of whack (as in don't just run up and down the scales, play the notes out of order to gedt your hands used to moving all over the place) as far as knowing them all over the fretboard in any key the only thing there to do is practice and perhaps memorize the notes on the fretboard so that you can say " ok this group of notes is in this scale and here is where they are" i personally prefer the major/minor scale in any of its 7 positions, there are lots of altered scales out there based on this/these that sound great too, another favorite of mine is hungarian minor (which basically has a #4 instead of a 4) also harminoc minor (has a major 7 instead of a minor 7, i along with many others use this for neoclassical type improve, it lends itself to having a major 5 which gives a very classical feel
What scales are good for a neoclassical sound, really epic and emotional?

And any tips on shredding, because I usually just find myself aimlessly running up and down a scale, and then bending a note, repeat..........
Quote by Megatallica
What scales are good for a neoclassical sound, really epic and emotional?

And any tips on shredding, because I usually just find myself aimlessly running up and down a scale, and then bending a note, repeat..........

z4twenny answered both of your questions

you have to remember that speed isn't everything, and that you should learn phrasing, improvising over backing tracks, and overall expanding your musical horizons so that you don't sound like another Francesco Farreri (not bashing him, just stating that he plays ridiculously fast for too long)

i mean, as musicians, our goal is to create music, not speed, right?

if you want to shred like mad, fine by me, head here for some technique exercises and all that jazz to get your chops up

www.shredaholic.com
www.chopsfromhell.com
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Your barriers to becoming a "shredmaster" are likely many. Probably the biggest
hurdle you'll have right now is overcoming your physical limitations on playing note
runs at speed with fluidity, dynamics and relaxation. That is basically technique
work which can take a long, long time to really get good at. A few days of sweep
practice is but a drop in the bucket.

Then you will need to know how to get around the fretboard and play the notes you
want over a chord progression. You'll need some theory to do that. But, for rock
it's not much more than some basics.

There's books I'd recommend, but I'm sure you can find plenty of material on your
own.

The best advice I can give you is learn to play well. The speed will come to you.
If you're mainly just learning to play fast, it's very likely you won't become very
good.