Page 1 of 2
depends what ur definition of practice is
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Quote by pawnluv
depends what ur definition of practice is

bingo. how much do i sit and actively practice? probably not much, id say less than an hour of good solid practice. i play more than that though, often quite a bit more. just playing through songs i know, working on songs im writing and just messing around isnt practice, so i dont count it as such.
I go from 30 min. to 3 hours. It's not really a set thing. Basically, it depends on whether or not I have anything to do/feel like it or not.
it depends really, but as far as just music goes... writing, playing, other instruments

all of my free time
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
Well, I mean, it depends what you call practice. I sit down at like 10:30 am and I say " I'm going to work scales for an hour" I end up soloing to nothing for 17 minutes. So I usually just mess around for a while, and then actually start practicing. Probably 2 to 4 hours a day
1-2 hours..sometimes more if the juices are really flowin'
"The guitar is just a wonderful instrument. It's everything: a bartender, a psychiatrist, a housewife. its everything, but it's elusive." -Les Paul
hmm, i PLAY guitar about 3-4+ hours a day, some of it is actual practice, some of it isnt.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

umm used to play 4 hours a day, some days i dont play because im busy and **** but now i play like 3 hours and 0 some days. most of the time 3-4 hours a day
I try for 2 hours.
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

All of my free time is spent playing one instrument or another, guitar gets anywhere from 4 to 6 hours a day.
all of my free time so like 6-8 hours a day on school days, weekends friday and saturday 3-5 depending on when i go to bed, sundays usually 10+ hours
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
I am another Mikael Akerfeldt, I hardly ever pick the thing up unless I have an idea, but it started out at about 8 hours a day. . . . for about 3 or 4 years. . . .then I slacked up. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
1-4 hours (that's all my spare time, when i started playing i use to practice laleasy 4 hours a day)
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
right now im trying to get at least one hour of scales and technique practice and then after that ill just jam along to my favorite songs. but i pretty much play when ever i can making sure i put at least an hour into actual practice and not just playing.
i used to do like 8 hours a day, then i got a life

now i will play guitar for maybe 3 hours a day.
Its all either playing songs while singing, or writing a song.
I try to write something everyday.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I have a 6 hour "proper" practice schedule. Then I just mess around and groove freely. I take some days off so I don't burn myself out on the instrument.
I play for say a hour or so then i practise for an hour just learning new solos mainly cos im happy with the speed i have just short on licks sometimes
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Last edited by bonzo_lives at Aug 9, 2006,
I pay like continuously til something stops working (like my neck from being infusiastic) Usually i play about 8+ hours a day. I have no life
About 3 hours of pure efficent practice. everday and i mean everday. I also jam a aweful lot and noodle around for hours on end. I actually enjoy reading music theory so that dosn't really count
Quote by Jimbo999
I pay like continuously til something stops working (like my neck from being infusiastic) Usually i play about 8+ hours a day. I have no life

we all know that if a guitarist has a life then he's not a real guitarist!

mostly 3-4 hours a day, 6+ hours if i'm improvising or getting bit by the inspiration bug...it's highly unlikely that anyone who practices for 8 hours straight has correctly and efficiently practiced the whole time without forcing it...unless you have a load of inspiration and/or you've worked up to 8 hours
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Well I guess going by your definition of practice I dont ever practice. When I play its either going through my playlist, or just jamming with my friends. I always just pick up my guitar and start playing songs :/

oh, and to answer how many hours I play..
**** sometimes not even an hour.

I must say i've played with some really great guitarist, none of which who practiced for what some of you guys are saying.. i really dont understand how anyone can play like that..
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Aug 9, 2006,
I don't think a lot of people here have a good concept of time. 8 is a lot of hours to be doing a single task. If I played guitar for 8 hours on a school day, once I got home from school I'd play guitar nonstop, not doing a single thing else, until midnight.

I'd say I played from about 1 to 3 hours a day.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

To anyone who does 8 hours of practice:

1. Are you able to keep up that kind of schedule EVERY day?
2. Do you do anything else in your life (school, friends)?
3. Is your playing actually interesting, or just chromatic 16th notes as fast as you can?
4. Have you taken the time to read music, learn theory, and work on things OTHER than speed?
5. Do you really think that you will stand out as a musician if you are trying to shred like so many others? Keep in mind there are many people that are way better at it than you. Try some new styles, make your own sound!

Anywho, I try to maintain a consistent hour or two of technique everyday, then I work on my reading skills and practice chords. Also, I occasionally read up on some theory.
Quote by thenordstrom
To anyone who does 8 hours of practice:

1. Are you able to keep up that kind of schedule EVERY day?
2. Do you do anything else in your life (school, friends)?
3. Is your playing actually interesting, or just chromatic 16th notes as fast as you can?
4. Have you taken the time to read music, learn theory, and work on things OTHER than speed?
5. Do you really think that you will stand out as a musician if you are trying to shred like so many others? Keep in mind there are many people that are way better at it than you. Try some new styles, make your own sound!

Anywho, I try to maintain a consistent hour or two of technique everyday, then I work on my reading skills and practice chords. Also, I occasionally read up on some theory.

I don't practice that much anymore, except on the odd occasion - but I used to have a strict practice session a few months ago where I'd practice eight hours a day for a week, then slow it down a bit, and 8 hours a day the next week - so I have the experience, so I'll answer your questions anyway.

1. No, lol. Not anymore. But, at that stage - yes. Definitely. I wanted to practice 8 hours a day, so I did. I enjoyed it and saw results. It wasn't a case of 'keeping it up' - that implies it's a struggle. It wasn't - it was just practice. 8 hours, 1 hour, 10 minutes... it's all practice. So, yes.

2. At the time, yes. I was in college and working on the weekends - friends kind of mixed in both of them - I'd see friends at college and have a pint with them after work. I guess you're asking if it got in the way of my 'social' life (or lack thereof)... the answer would be no.

3. Chromatic 16th notes are interesting. I'm not sure I get this question... I can't be a judge and say my musics interesting, that's subjective to the listener. If you want to know, click my signature.

4. Yes. Speed didn't cross my mind when I practiced. Improving technique has nothing to do with speed. Where did you get that from? Speed was never and has never been a motive for me. I didn't go stick on the metronome and play along at snails pace because I wanted to shred - I wanted to make the music I wanted to make and that's why I practiced. Seriously, if you think everyone who goes into a practice session for 8 hours is concentrating on being able to play fast, you're a fucking idiot.

5. Yes, I do. I have my own sound. My own style. Of course there are people better than me, what the fuck... ? You think that's going to stop someone maknig music? If everyone stopped making music because people were better at it than them, Steve Vai would be the only one making music (hehehe).

Anyway, these days I practice when I want and for how long I want, no set time schedule - pick it up when I want and put it down when I want. It keep my mind clear knowing I don't have to nail this certain piece before this certain deadline and blah blah blah, it's just a mental thing that's let me feel more relaxed about my improvement. Don't get me wrong though, I still practice 6+ atleast 2 days a week, I might do 30 minutes on Sunday and 7 hours on Wednesday, I don't know - so, to the question 'How much do you practice in a day?'... Whatever I feel like
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day, and to do this I had to time warp by playing over 400 notes per second I was allowed to go back in time to practice an extra couple of hours to get that 63 hours a day.

I don't go back in time anymore because I kinda age a lot faster and I would usually kill mankind in the process by imploding the earth and destroying all mankind as we know it, which is...not really good for album sales if noone's around to buy them.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Meh i prolly did sound like somewhat of an arse in that earlier statement, i generalized way too much. I don't have anything against chromatic 16th notes or atonal exercises (I practice them myself), but i was just saying if thats ALL you play (trust me, ive seen it) than you should take a look at what you're doing. About the speed thing...i obviously dont think that EVERYONE who practices 8 hours a day is only focusing on shred, but there are some who worry only about speed (youtube "shred" videos and "shredding" audio clips from dmusic come to mind..).

About my question #5: When i said there are people better than you it is not to discourage you from playing, it is to discourage having an ego. I used to think i was going to be the most uber-fast shredmaster in all the galaxy and thought i was the ****, until i got out and heard some great guitarists and realized i was sloppy as hell. Maybe I am the only person to ever have an ego like that, but I just put that there for anyone who possibly does.
depends...it could be 2, 3, 4, 5+ hours. Not really a "set" time.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
To those playing for hours on end........

Respect for doing that peeps and for having the dedication, but don't you take time out to rest your, wrists, fingers, muscles etc? Cos if you don't I'm sure your on the way to carpal tunnel or RSI or something......

It's just that a friend of mine some years back used to do that, go to school, come home and then play guitar for 4, 5,6 hours sometimes even more. He did that same thing, everyday, for a couple of years then over a period of like 2 months he just lost the use of his fretting hand, not total, like 80% of his movement had gone. He went to the docs and it was all the tendons in his left wrist had been damaged because of the amount of time he spent thrashing the guitar everyday.....anyway, at the end of it he had to pack in the guitar for the thick end of 18 months and even now when he plays, every now and again he will get twinges that hurt like hell.....apparently.....

Sorry, just thought I'd throw it in the ring.
I play about 9 hours a day..or more, since I play whenever I am on the computer, watching tv, going to the bathroom, eating. Basically all the time Im home. And its not practicing, its like jamming. I spend like 4 minutes memorizing a tab, then when I get a chance Ill play it
Page 1 of 2