All of these assume right-handed playing. If you play a left handed bass, reverse the hands--DUH!

Gimmick #1: Double your notes

Mute the strings with the palm of your right hand. Hammer the note with your left hand and then immediately follow it with a downward pluck from your first finger. It sounds like an echo of the hammered note. If you do this right, you can play some cool 80s style techno bass stuff.

Gimmick #2: Snare sound on your bass

On a four string, take the first finger of your left hand and drag the D string over the G string at the 10th fret and hold it there so that the strings cross and make contact. Now pluck the D or the G string--it sounds like a snare. If you coordinate this with a muted E string, you can make it sound like a kick and snare. This technique is borrowed from flamenco guitar technique. If you use it on a looping effects box (like a Line 6 Delay Modeler or a Boomerang) it sounds really cool!

Gimmick #3: Sliding harmonic on a fretless

Hit an open harmonic on any string (place your fingerpad of one of your left fingers on the harmonic point of a string and pluck the string with your right hand fingers). When the harmonic rings out, push the string down onto the fingerboard at that point and slide your finger either up or down. The harmonic will still play, but you can slide the harmonic up or down. If you slide it up fast enough, it sounds like a whistle or a musical saw.

These are my "signature" gimmicks. I have a few more, but these are generally fun to do to impress folks.

If you have a really cool bass gimmick that you would like to share, please feel free to post it here!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
anyone? anyone?? Bueller? Bueller??
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by GiantRaven
We need....gimmicks nowdays?

"The whole world is a gimmick. Think of war and napalm bombs"

yeah, we need gimmicks

That's sort of a Hendrix quote... I don't remember the exact quote.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
You must suck. I didn't really try any of those because I'm to lazy to screw around with my crappy amp. It sucks when you sell an amp to get a better amp because the time in between you don't have a good amp.

Kirbyrocknroll I was kidding about how you suck.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
Quote by bassplayer91
You must suck. I didn't really try any of those because I'm to lazy to screw around with my crappy amp. It sucks when you sell an amp to get a better amp because the time in between you don't have a good amp.

Kirbyrocknroll I was kidding about how you suck.

What was this supposed to mean??? Explain or be warned for flaming.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Um... okay. The whole point was to share little unusual tidbits to help expand your bass abilities. C'mon, I know you folks are more creative than that in here.

Gimmick #4: Soft transient notes

Instead of plucking the bass with your fingers, use the pads of your fingers to tap the string about 1/2 inch away from the bridge. This will give a warmer note without a transient pluck sound.

Gimmick #5: Square wave tremelo

Using a bass that has a 3-way pickup selector, turn down the volume knob of the neck pickup. Set the pickup selector switch to the middle position and play a note. Now, with your right hand, quickly move the selector switch over to the neck pickup position. If you time the toggle nicely, you can hammer notes with your left hand and sound the notes with the right by using the switch. Hey, it worked for Eddie Van Halen, why not you?

Gimmick #6: Balloon trick

I saw the guitarist for The Psychodots do this one. Take a balloon and blow it up. In the middle of your solo, place the balloon over the strings right above the pickup so that the balloon is in contact with all the strings. Now hunch over and plant your face into the balloon and start screaming. The pickups will pick up any vibrations made to the strings, so the screams will be transferred to the pickup. It helps if the bass is turned up all the way, and you have the amp set to high gain.

Gimmick #7: The power massager

I used this one for a guitar solo, but it works for bass too. Take an electric power massager (the vibrating kind you plug into a 120V outlet for use on your shoulders) and turn it on. Bring it closer to the pickup while the bass is plugged into an amp. It should give you a really noisy sound, but when coupled with fingered notes, it sounds like the most raunchiest bass tone you can ever hope to get. Heck, you can even try to use the massager to "massage" a few notes out of the bass by letting the massager contact the strings. It doesn't have to be in contact with the strings to get that horrific rasp. The next time your guitarist shows off by shredding a loud and annoying guitar solo, surprise him with this gimmick. Even better, surprise him during his solo by bringing the massager near HIS pickups. Ah yes the visual of the bass player chasing the guitar player around onstage with a power massager...
Jaco de Lucia.

^lol that made me laugh about chasing a guy around stage. Thanks for making interesting threads to jaco de lucia, a bit of a change of pace.

I'll give some of these a try at some stage, and I can't really recall any gimmicks I can do but I do mess around from time to time try out different things, but not usually with other tools etc.
One I stole from a guitar playing friend is something I call 'two-way bending'

play any fretted note and bend it, once it's bent, take your right hadn and bend lower down the string in an oppisite direction. you get some funky sounds out of that.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2