Anyone here a big fan of Chris Poland?. I think he is an exceptional guitarist (especially with Deth)
Yes,,,and it was a pity that Dave kicked him out,,,but had he not we may have never gotten the guitar majesty that is Marty Friedman.
true-Jeff Young got in the way of both. I just loved his fusion solos over thrash..especially my namesake
yeah well chris is workin in some rehersal studio in LA now so he could hardly turn him down. Everyone hates Dave-Menza, Ellefson, Friedman,Metallica, Dimebag & Pantera, Slayer, Korn...
i still think friedman kicks ass, i mean tornado of souls, and holy wars... those solos kick ass

but poland does deserve lots of credit, i mean peace sells, that was an AMAZING album. i mean has anyone actually payed attention to the fills in peace sells? and wake up dead??!
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Poland is great, i really like his solos and playing. However I do think Marty is better, but thats just personal taste. I also like Jeff Young, but like said Friedman is better. Infact all Megadeths guitarist own / have owned (including Dave), dont know about Drover tho havnt heard any of the new material.

As said Poland owns, listen to the Peace sells album to prove my point (although Dave does a lot more solos on that then he did when Friedman was around).
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Really, all of the Deth guitarists kick ass. Usually so many lineup changes seriously make a band suck. But no matter how different the style of all those lead guitarists are they still all managed to kick some serious ass.

And I see that no one has mentioned Al Pitrelli yet. He seems to be the forgotten Megadeth guitarist. I personally love him. He brings a more classical style to his solos. He's particularly awesome on Rude Awakening.

I can't wait for the new album either. I didnt like the demo for Gears of War that much (the lyrics and main riff awful) but the solo was totally intense. There seems to be hope for Mr. Drover.
Moved, and yes, I quite like him.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
Moved, and yes, I quite like him.

I'd appreciate it if you would be so kind as to recommend me something
I like his fill-in in Ashes of The Wake by LoG...

Anyway, Marty owns him IMHO !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Chris Poland's nephew lived down the hall from me when I was in college.
^Was he good at guitar ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by The_Cory

Awesome.

Anyway, I just got Return to Metropolis. I'm liking it so far...
Quote by The_Cory

Liar until proved non-liar
I can't find it in any stores. Try itunes or something. I know they have it.

Someone helps me with the melody of The Fall of Babylon! I can't get the way he gets from note to note right. It's so smooth...
If Poland is the one playing the end solo on the Take No Prisoners demo (from the RiP remaster), then I'll have to tip my cap off to him. He's singlehandedly responsible for my using the term "scary" to describe a solo – that one.

I mean jeez, listen to it... sounds almost hellish!
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
I can't find it in any stores. Try itunes or something. I know they have it.

Someone helps me with the melody of The Fall of Babylon! I can't get the way he gets from note to note right. It's so smooth...

He's supposed to be really good at big stretches because of some finger injury, might that be the case?

check this out
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=46CpzuEVrjQ&mode=related&search=
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Last edited by eviledge87 at Sep 16, 2007,
Thanks for actually replying I heard on an interview with him on www.smartassradio.com (August 11th) that his finger limited him more than helped him, but helped him develop his own style since that's the only way he could play.

I think I've figured it (the melody for The Fall of Babylon) out. I just need to be a bit quicker with my prebends - assuming that's how he does it. I can't find any videos of him playing anything from Return to Metalopolis or Chasing the Sun.

On a side note, I finally figured out the intro for Hip-Hop Karma on bass
Does anyone have any idea how he got his tone in Megadeth? It's so dark and sinister, yet cool. He's an incredible player. One of the most unique shredders to be sure.
Quote by bluespunkmetal

Anyway, Marty owns him IMHO !!

Marty is a great stylist and really unique - love his exotic scales and weird bends but never in a million years does he own Chris Poland! Chris exists a couple of levels above Friedman when it comes to mastering the guitar.

Poland was BY FAR the best guitar player to ever play in Megadeth. There is a reason why Mustaine kept asking him to come back - including right before he offered Friedman the gig. And then asked him again to come in on TSHFailed.