I need help with string skipping. i just cant seem to do it at all. should i just keep precticing it or should i try something else to get better at it? I dont actually know what its called but heres what it looks like:

e |-------------------|
B |-------------------|
G |-----9--7--12------|
D |-----x--x---x------|
A |-----7--5--10------|
E |-------------------|

those are octaves and you mute the string in the middle of the frets your fingers are and and strum down youll get eventually just kepp practicing
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
thats not string skipping thats octaves. just lean back the finger thats fretting the lower note to mute the string in between and strum it all at once
or if you cant get the leaning thing down you can use a finger in between your two fretting fingers to lightly mute the middle string.
I did the same thing, i've been playing about 2 years, sadly, i figured out it was octaves about a year ago.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if you wanna learn how to skip strings and not octaves, look up wes montgomery. hes the god of skipping strings and jazz guitar
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
Umm, just pick the 5th note, and pluck the 7th with your middle finger.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
some people said to pluck the other note with your middle finger---no no no thats not what you want to do. it gives a completely different sound (kinda like popping on the bass) and why would there be the x's on the middle string to show you mute it? anyway, yea thats not called string skipping.

funny thing is, i was listening to that AWESOME AS **** string skipping part in erotomania when i saw this thread.
A good easy way to practice and to play octaves is to learn the American Idiot solo. If you don't already know it.
Quote by flogrock
some people said to pluck the other note with your middle finger---no no no thats not what you want to do. it gives a completely different sound (kinda like popping on the bass) and why would there be the x's on the middle string to show you mute it? anyway, yea thats not called string skipping.

funny thing is, i was listening to that AWESOME AS **** string skipping part in erotomania when i saw this thread.

With distortion you wont hear it , it most certainly wont be sound like no bass popping.

In some situations, plucking is the best way to do it. In others, maybe not.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
plucking wouldnt be good, i play trivium, atreyu, bullet for my valentine, **** like that, fast stuff.