http://www.rondomusic.net/al2800unifprofilesilverb.html

I'm going for a cheap way out to get a Adam Jones look for my Tool cover/ Original band

I was wondering what should I do to that guitar to make it better

Obv pup's but what kind

any other suggestions would be cool
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Alright!! Adam jones!!, anyway I have a gibson Angus young sig pickup, In the bridge of my guitar, I pump it thru my vox valvtronix, with tweaking I got my guitar sounding pretty close to jone's Sounds, High treble, punchy sound, if you don't Want to by all that stuff, Try looking for a High output pickup thats listed as punchy and has a good mid range attack, Like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SH5-Duncan-Custom-Pickup?sku=300040 Try looking for adam jones on wiki-pidia to check his setup
Mesa Boogie F series, i get teh exact sound 100% no BS, its the same sound Tool had on 10,000 days. I run the F-100 through both a B-52 and the Carvin 810 and the diffferent tones mixing gives it the tone. I played a XXX for about 4 hours yesterday and got a great clean tool tone, the disortion was a little harder to dial in but when i run it through bass speakers it sounds much more like tool

For amp settings,
For Heavy Tool boost mids/treble and cut back on the bass and crank the gain to 11.

For the lighter distortion (guitar in begging of schism tone) Clean amp channel Bass:5 Mid:8 Treble:10 Reverb:2 Gain 5, use a distortion pedal on top of that with settings Bass:8 Mid:4 Treble 8 Gain:3 I'm using the Dime MXR distortion pedal BTW

and clean stuff like Right in Two just get a warm clean tone and then add reverb

I hope that helps you, thats my settings and setup.

As for the Adam Jones pickups, i'd go with just burstbucker pros. I'm not real sure what he uses but those seem like Gibsons star pickups. If those are a little too pricy, i'd check out dimarzio's pickups, medium gain, preferrably coverd pickups, and a lot of mid range.
I believe he has Seymour Duncan pickups, specifically a SH-2 Jazz in the neck and a SH-4 JB in the bridge.
I was under the impression he used a lower output pickup, something more classic sounding like a pearly gates...but I could be way off. Great tone regardless.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
he also doesn't really channel switch very much, but regulates the distortion/clean with his guitar's volume and tone knobs. I have the jazz/jb combo, and the jb is fine, but I'd get something other than the jazz for the neck pickup, because it sucks.
check out youtube.com for adam jones or tool covers and there should be videos of some guy covering tool songs and he has a really accurate setup, guitar, amps etc.
Last edited by the_invince at Aug 8, 2006,
^ That would be "opiateofthemasses" if I remember correctly.. He has a Gibson LP Silverburst and a Diezel head, but not the same model that Adam uses..
alright cool...thanks guys.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone