M-II Bolt-On
M-II Neck-Thru

So I'm trying to decide which one of these would be better for metal shred. I'm pretty sure I want the maple neck and a maple fretboard. I never really cared for them until I actually heard how much they can cut through and how "clearer" they sound to me. That or ebony I suppose. But not rosewood.

The bolt-on wouldn't have as good of upper fret access for me due to my smaller hands. But on the other hand, the neck is unfinished and would be faster than a painted neck-thru. And the price factor, replaceability, ect.

The neck-thru would have supposedly better sustain unless the neck joint is very tight on the bolt-on M-II, and MOST IMPORTANTLY better upper fret access. My les paul can give me nightwares with repeating licks past the 15th fret. But the neck is finished and could slow me down. At least the neck on my lp tends to sometimes.

I can't find list prices on either, but I've seen the neck-thru to cost as much as $1000 more, though I can't verify that. If that were the case though, does anyone think the All access neck joint on a jackson sl2h would be worth the $500 some bucks more?

I've been considering the M-II, or even the LTD JH-600 jeff hanneman model, or even a prestige ibanez like the RG2620 or whatever its called, though I think an ibanez neck would be too small for me. I played a midrange ibanez and it was way too uncomfortable for me, but my les paul neck can get pretty awkward too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would go for the bolt-on simply so both of my 81s wouldn't sit in a block of maple and be even brighter and treblier than they already are.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
The neck through is prettier. I like neck through's for the sustain. But really, it's personal preference.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

How would the duncans in a maple neck-thru sound? Would they be intolerably bright like you said the emgs would be? I can't imagine they would put the 2 emgs in a maple neck-thru if it would sound bad.
prices will vary depending on who you shopping from and depends on which duncans and which amp your playing through
In America, you can only get the M-IINT in rosewood.

The M-II is available in maple.

Both are alder bodies.
haha
I'm not sure if you can order it through a japanese dealer with maple neck-thru, though I'd rather actually play the one i would buy. It's been a while since I've played a bolt-on, though I know it offers much more room than the set neck on my lp.

I've basically narrowed it down to this guitar, but I've also been looking at:

Jackson SL-1. Though pricey, I absolutely love the neck joint. I've only seen joints like that one on guitars like the esp jeff hanneman signature. It seems all other guitars have a "fatter" neck joint than this one. The Sl3 seems nice, though I feel like I'd be disappointed with it.

Also been considering the ltd jeff hanneman. Seems to have great features for the price. Though I'd like to have an actual esp.

It's basically between the ESP SV and the M-II maple w/ EMGs. The SV seems to be the best flying v for what I need at my price range of $1000-$1500ish.

If anyone has a different recommendation, here are some specs I need:
double-locking, excellent quality OFR.
Excellent fret access (I have smaller hands, and for reference, a fender and LP neck are uncomfortable for me)
Ebony or maple fretboard

As far as my amps go, I've got a marshall dsl100 half stack, and peavey 5150 combo, an epiphone valve junior, and a crate gfx212. I'm pretty much going for only metal: 80's heavy metal (maiden, priest, scorpions) up to modern metal styles. I've seen many metal bands use the duncans (or so I've never seen open-coil emgs), so I was curious if I could still get as heavy with the duncans, or if I should go emgs with it. It would be nice to have a different sounding yet still very heavy guitar, but if emgs are the only way, then be it.

For reference, I've never liked an ibanez rg series guitar, they are too thin for me, and I'd rather not have to switch out the pups, and I don't like the tones from basswood.

Thanks for the opinions, and does anyone know any US dealers that sell the esp rv or even the M-II? I think somewhere in my state (KS) there is a single (lol) esp dealer, but I would probably be hard-pressed for the sv.
Do you want sustain or do you want tone? You like the maple neck-sound and the feel, am I right? If yes go for it. It wound take long before you get used to the bolt-on.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I'm not sure if you can order it through a japanese dealer with maple neck-thru, though I'd rather actually play the one i would buy. It's been a while since I've played a bolt-on, though I know it offers much more room than the set neck on my lp.

I've basically narrowed it down to this guitar, but I've also been looking at:

Jackson SL-1. Though pricey, I absolutely love the neck joint. I've only seen joints like that one on guitars like the esp jeff hanneman signature. It seems all other guitars have a "fatter" neck joint than this one. The Sl3 seems nice, though I feel like I'd be disappointed with it.

Also been considering the ltd jeff hanneman. Seems to have great features for the price. Though I'd like to have an actual esp.

It's basically between the ESP SV and the M-II maple w/ EMGs. The SV seems to be the best flying v for what I need at my price range of $1000-$1500ish.

If anyone has a different recommendation, here are some specs I need:
double-locking, excellent quality OFR.
Excellent fret access (I have smaller hands, and for reference, a fender and LP neck are uncomfortable for me)
Ebony or maple fretboard

As far as my amps go, I've got a marshall dsl100 half stack, and peavey 5150 combo, an epiphone valve junior, and a crate gfx212. I'm pretty much going for only metal: 80's heavy metal (maiden, priest, scorpions) up to modern metal styles. I've seen many metal bands use the duncans (or so I've never seen open-coil emgs), so I was curious if I could still get as heavy with the duncans, or if I should go emgs with it. It would be nice to have a different sounding yet still very heavy guitar, but if emgs are the only way, then be it.

For reference, I've never liked an ibanez rg series guitar, they are too thin for me, and I'd rather not have to switch out the pups, and I don't like the tones from basswood.

Thanks for the opinions, and does anyone know any US dealers that sell the esp rv or even the M-II? I think somewhere in my state (KS) there is a single (lol) esp dealer, but I would probably be hard-pressed for the sv.

SV Standard for you americans will be hard pressed to find but luckily there is a shop in the US that does sell ESP guitars but i forgot the link. M-II you should really be able to pickup from a Sam Ash or even a guitar center. and SV will cost more than 1000-1500usd
The difference in sustain between bolt-on a neck thru MII will be negligable. But due to the different construction and materials, the tone will be compeltely different.

On the NT version, the maple neck also makes up over 1/3 of the body, making the guitar sound a lot beefier, more solid, and brighter. Since the part of the guitar that the pickups and bridge mount to are maple, it will be the dominant wood in terms of where the instrument's tone comes from. The body wings are alder, and serve more to color the sound of the maple.

The bolt-on has an all-alder body. Alder is bright with extra emphasis on the midrange, but doesn't have the tight low end maple does, and it doesn't have the bite and sizzle of maple either. The maple fretboard will add brightness to the tone, but not a significant amount like the neck thru would. In this case, the bridge and pickups sit in alder, so it's the dominant tone wood of the guitar.

Now I can't speak directly of these MII models, but I did play both a bolt-on and a NT KH-2, and I can definately say I preferred the NT version's tone. But in terms of sustain, there was no real discernable difference. The difference was so small as to render it insignificant.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor