I'm a complete idiot when it comes to equipment. I have a crate GXT-212 amp(I think I got that right), a digitech GNX4 sound board, and I am looking for an equipment update. I don't need help necessarily on the equipment, I know at least I'm looking for a marshall amp that can be loud enough for gigging. However, mainly what I want to know is what amp heads/cabinets are, what are their uses, and (slightly unrelated) what is a PA system and how do I operate/make one? Thanks a lot!
The only Marshall heads worth getting are the tube heads. Dont bother with MGs or AVTs. Also dont bother with their matching cabs, theyre not good either.

HEAD: pre-amp+power-amp
CAB: box+speakers

Plug your guitar into the head. Plug your head into the cab. And make noise.

A PA system is a "Personal Amplification" system. Basicly: MIC>MIXER>POWER-AMP>SPEAKERS.
What exactly does a head contribute to your overall sound? Is it really necessary outside of gigging/serious guitar work?
A head MAKES your overall sound.

[edit] just cause youre a serious gigging musician dont mean you HAVE to have a halfstack or a fullstack. and just because youre a bedroom warrior doesnt mean you HAVE to have a small amp. Its all a matter of tone.
Quote by Funkeh Muchacho
What exactly does a head contribute to your overall sound? Is it really necessary outside of gigging/serious guitar work?

As opposed to what? A combo amp? A head and cab setup supposedly "looks cooler" and allows you to move a head around and use any cab lying around and still get your sound. However, not many people have a cab lying around, so you just end up with a big hassle if you need to move your amp around alot. I would argue that combo amps are better for gigs, because they are more mobile.

I've never owned a head, cab, or any combination of the two. However, I don't think it would sound much better than a nice combo amp unless you're getting into the high-end heads and cabs.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by auranos
As opposed to what? A combo amp? A head and cab setup supposedly "looks cooler" and allows you to move a head around and use any cab lying around and still get your sound. However, not many people have a cab lying around, so you just end up with a big hassle if you need to move your amp around alot. I would argue that combo amps are better for gigs, because they are more mobile.

I've never owned a head, cab, or any combination of the two. However, I don't think it would sound much better than a nice combo amp unless you're getting into the high-end heads and cabs.

So given your answer, I'm assuming that if you're playing a functioning amp without a head, it's safe to assume it's a combo amp?
Basically a combo is a head and cab together. Instead of having two separate parts (the head on top of the cabinet), they come together in one unit.
Quote by auranos

A half stack is supposed to make you look cooler??
Lets get something straight here, guys. Playing a head/cabinet setup is out of necessity or having to have a particular tone. For example, I have two exact same models of JCM 900, the 4502 combo and the 50W head through a Carvin Legacy 4 x 12 cabinet. Both produce the same tone, to a certain degree. Both JJ EL34 tubes. The combo sounds WAYYYY thin next to the half stack at the same volume, gain and eq settings. Without an attenuator, if I turn the head volume past 4, the rig becomes unplayable at small gigs, practices, etc. Not to say the combo is a slouch, just a bit more tame at 50 watts.
And as for moving yor head around to play with any cabinet, again not true. Different cabs produce different acoustics. Speakers produce different output.
Dig???
For the most part, the sound would be the same to the crowd / audience, but to the guy playing the rig and used to using V30's or G12T-75's or something. He's going to be pissed.