My friend asked me a question today I couldn't answer and I'm hoping 1 of you guys can. He was wonderng what would happen if he used an ENGL SE Tube Preamp which is 35 watts, with say a Marshall power amp thats rated at 20, 50, 100.

How would that work out? Thanks
Who's dumber?
The cat that plays with a piece of string for 30 minutes,
Or the guy who dangles the string for 30 minutes?
are you sure the engl se preamp is 35 watts? surely being a preamp, its power output depends on what wattage of power amp you use with it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the preamp may consume 30 watts of power but shouldn't technically pump out that many watts as far as i know. prove me wrong.
Marty
^ if it did, would it not be 100% efficient, and thats impossible!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
my point exactly! he probably mixed the operating wattage of the pre up with it's output. A preamp output is more like a line strength output, same sort of strength as what you might get out of RCA plugs or an MP3 player, it's the power amp that takes that signal and amplifies it with brute power and whats and pumps it through some passive speakers or whatever you've got.
Marty
if it says "120 volts, 35 watts" on the back, thats its consumption of power. not output.

my bass amp (1000 watts out) consums 250, while my JSX (120 out) consumes 400.

the output should be around a volt, and less than a watt.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
ah, yes, so it would. my bad
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...