ok so basicly i cant keep the thing down when im playing it looks like those english dip****s do when there drinking tea with there pinkey up just kinda flopping around... all the excercises and runs i do slow and controlled and whenever i notice it starting to flop way away from the fretboard ill practice it slowly till i can keep it under control but as soon as i start doing a solo or a jam with anybody its outa control again i dunno what to do... i guess its not that big a deal cause ive seen plenty of shredders with there pinkey all over the place worse than mine is but it still seems like a huge waste of effort especially since i use my pinkey for all those little blues licks and everything that for some reason people insist on playing like they only have three fingers
"my pinkey is a retarted english man"....that is either genious or really stupid im not sure yet
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
my pinky?..... it sticks up way too far when i play?..... its kind of out of control?... how can i fix that?.....
do chromatic exercises with your ring and pinky finger
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
yeah i guess ill try the hammer on pull off thing some more but it seems like every time i have it under control doing excercises even at 160 bpm er faster itl just start ****ing up again as soon as i try to actually apply it to somthing like right now im trying to get through flight of the bumblebee and i can play it clean at about 150 bpm but its just a mess watching my pinky i know that alone could translate to another 10 bpm and alot smoother playing
well, when i'm playing like at the 15 fret, my pinky can't reach the D string

Quote by Aidy Damage
with the thum over the neck, i think the classical position is better, but i don't know how to use that position

also i think i use my strap really low, and, it's not the D string, it's the A

EDIT:no, it's the D string

Quote by Aidy Damage
Last edited by kurt_isnot_dead at Aug 8, 2006,
just raise your strap up to a reasonable level and put your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck directly inline with your your middle finger rather than over the top itl work wonders
Quote by fu man chu
my pinky?..... it sticks up way too far when i play?..... its kind of out of control?... how can i fix that?.....

Couldn't figure it would, what with the paragraph-long sentences and all.

And you didn't really ask a question either...

But anyways. I think your answer is obvious: Do exercises to fix it. How else would you do it? Making a thread about the obvious isn't really necessary.
Looking for my India/Django.
I'm laughing at the thread title

Btw, how long and concentrated are you doing the pinky exercises? If you just do them for one hour and then forget about them.. It won't stick around.. Try it for at least half an hour EVERY DAY for a couple of weeks.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by fu man chu
ok so basicly i cant keep the thing down when im playing it looks like those english dip****s do when there drinking tea with there pinkey up just kinda flopping around... all the excercises and runs i do slow and controlled and whenever i notice it starting to flop way away from the fretboard ill practice it slowly till i can keep it under control but as soon as i start doing a solo or a jam with anybody its outa control again i dunno what to do... i guess its not that big a deal cause ive seen plenty of shredders with there pinkey all over the place worse than mine is but it still seems like a huge waste of effort especially since i use my pinkey for all those little blues licks and everything that for some reason people insist on playing like they only have three fingers

Well you one arrogant s.o.b. And to be honest i'm quite tempted to not say anything to help you but that would just be plain rude. The "english dip****s" phrase was just not funny at all cos i think you were trying to be. Anyway don't use a really rubbish simile like that next time.

Anyway...

To be honest people that use only 3 of their fingers have learnt a very bad habit. Stretches will be poor and you are more likely to do a muted note. But what you should do to stop your pinky being irritating is get your ring finger and pinky finger and just run up and down the frets with just those two, it will make your pinky more independent and gradually you will be able to do very large stretches such as 12th fret to 20th fret easily by 'rocking your hand' compared to a person that uses three fingers and can only get 12-18th fret 'rocking their hand.'

Hopefully you understand what 'rocking your hand' means.

PS. I'm British mate so don't be such an ignorant prick next time.
If you can play flight of the bumble bee at 150 bpm (in how many notes per beat?) you should have done a lot of chromatic stuff already so I'm not talking about that. You are probably pushing to hard with your other fingers and holding your underarm in a bad angle. Experiment to find out how hard you need to push those strings to succesfully frett the note instead of just squeeling the life out of them if you do.
who do you kno that drinks tea like that. If i saw anyone drinking tea like that i would be the first of many to give them a slap
Quote by Ghostmice4542
who do you kno that drinks tea like that. If i saw anyone drinking tea like that i would be the first of many to give them a slap

i would be the second
see what you did threadstarter, once i saw the name of the thread i knew there would be more comments on the "vain attempt to be funny by making fun of an english stereotype" than the actual subject at hand

anywho, the reason why your pinky flies off the fretboard is simply because you're using too much pressure and tension...it's not happening when you practice because you're (hopefully) relaxed, but it's expected that you may get a bit nervous or tense when playing with or in front of someone else, so you just have to relax your fingers and become aware of your whole body, eliminating excess tension in the process

www.guitarprinciples.com
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Haha i'm sorry about the bad simile. I wasen't really trying to be funny. I just thought it was a good visual, to get my point across. I guess im just kinda an insensitive prick cause im always getting in trouble like this. Sorry to all the english blokes on UG i dident mean it offencively, I am aware thats just a bad steriotype, and very few actually do drink tea like that, But those who do are entirely retarted and like somobody mentioned should be slapped. That being said i've seen some great advice on here i do push my fingers too hard i think ill try to relax a bit more, and give that chronomatic excercise a try using only my pinkey and ring. That sounds like a good way to do it. Oh yeah and i play 16th notes on flight of the bumblebee to whoever asked. peace
i dont have a problem with the simile, because i assumed that the threadstarter was referring to 'english guys who do that when they drink tea', and not 'all english guys'. and plus, im sure everyone here, if not most, knew what he was talking out. im not offended, despite being very british in heritage, as long as fu man chu doesnt believe that anyone nowdays drinks like that. 'retarded' i would say is quite offensive though
i need to get a better signature.