Forgive me if any part of this question is stupid, but could anyone suggest some good melodic basslines? Nothing intensely hard, but I'm not afraid of anything that's only somewhat difficult. I've found that singing and playing at the same time is otherwise a bitch, and though that won't stop me from practicing it- I think some melodic bass to play while singing would be a nice place to start.

Edit: Forgot to mention my preferences are classic rock (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath), punk rock (think The Clash, Sex Pistols) and Britpop (Oasis and Blur mostly) and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Well that's not all but it's a good idea of it.Not that I'd turn down any other suggestions....
Last edited by HeyBulldog! at Aug 8, 2006,
i love the bass part in the beggining to wet sand by the red hot chili pepers it makes me feel all at peace lol check it out if ya wanna.
were all a bunch of brothers livin in a cool way along with 6 million others in a place called L.A. --out in L.A. by rhcp
Quote by Applehead
For melodic basslines, look no further than Paul McCartney. The master.

My thoughts exactly. Check out "With a Little Help From My Friends". Led Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song" is another good one.

Check out a lot of the stuff from John Paul Jones and Paul.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
poochy, lemon song is a VERY good one, if you can remember the entire thing, which ain't easy (i find). Californication by the Chilli's is a good one. If you want to sing and play something easy, try Are You In by Incubus. It's got a cool little swing-feel happening.
REM-Orange Crush, Exhuming McCarthy (kinda), Losing My Religion
RHCP-Californication, most of the newer stuff
Anything Beatles. I like With a little Help from My Friends, Rain, and, well pretty much all of it is perfect.
of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM kmbuchamushroom to join.

Member #4 of the Truthiness Club, PM Zeppelin08 to defend all things truthiness.
Quote by Casual Karma
.....pretty much all of it is perfect.

Amen to that, brother.
Santeria by Sublime, is rather melodic, I think. Truthfully, I don't know the real meaning of melodic, but that strikes me as something like it. Maybe Here in your Bedroom by Goldfinger, too. Probably not as much as the Sublime song, though.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
best melodic lines are from the jam band scene, especially phish and greatful dead. listen to any dead song, and you'll be amazed at phil lesh.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Ohh! I forgot. Try out some Van Morrison. Brown Eyed Girl, Moondance, Wild Night, Domino... all excellent.

Simple rig fan.
Quote by poochy
Ohh! I forgot. Try out some Van Morrison. Brown Eyed Girl, Moondance, Wild Night, Domino... all excellent.

who's the bassist for van morrison? your right, their songs have such strong melodic lines, i love it
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
If you want something melodic but nothing too complicated, Paul McCartney is the man. He wasn't trying to be a virtuoso, kept melody the prime objective, and he did it effortlessly.

"I've got no kick against modern jazz,
Unless they try to play it too darn fast.
And lose the beauty of the melody,
Until they sound just like a symphony."

--Chuck Berry

It's great to be able to play super fast, but at some point it becomes pointless and self-indulgent. Does the audience really care that you can play 30 notes a second in every song? Yawn... probably not.

Melody and mood--that's where it's at. And silence between the notes--without the silence there would no time for the listener to appreciate why you choose the notes you do. Tony Levin is a master of balancing silence with melody and timing--listen to his basslines on Peter Gabriel's So album and on King Crimson's Discipline album.
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Quote by crazypeanutman
who's the bassist for van morrison? your right, their songs have such strong melodic lines, i love it

John Klingberg for Moondance... I'm not sure on any other albums...

Simple rig fan.
some parts in "Astronomy" by Metallica (Original song by Blue Oyster Cult) are melodic.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
um, i'd ocnsider around the world rather melodic hahha.

other rhcp would be uh..
scar tissue, this velvet glove, the zephyr song, dosed, and i hav to second wet sand, it is an amazign song.
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Of course, doesn't mean this thread had to die. But I didn't want everyone to think that I just dropped off the face of the Earth after asking that question- I appreciate the help.
*keeps thread alive*

REM - The One I Love (it's so repetitive, but so beautiful)
RHCP - Otherside, Californication, Leverage of Space...a lot of their more mellow stuff has melodic basslines
Muse - Hysteria (I dunno if it's melodic, but it's freakin' awesome)

A lot of Tool songs have melodic basslines as well, but there are too many to list. These are just a few of my favorites, though.
Oh crap!
believe it or not, i find the bass line to "Mourning Palace" by Dimmu Borgir very melodic.. it's a little different than paul mccartney and john paul jones, but lets be open minded here not very hard to sing to until you get towards the end
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.