Page 1 of 2
i'd have to say
it's pretty cool, but i like my mesa better
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
yea its deffinately up there with the best of em
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I've played out of some mesa boogie stalk and i hated the sound. maybe it was just that particular one.
Great amps. Just too expensive for us younger guitarists, though
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
i like the DSL better, and on top of that, the jcm 900, its less gain but its a lot grittier. You shoudl check into a few similar marshall models. I find the 100watts to be a tad much,, i believe the tsl comes in 60 as well. But still, my favs are still the dsl50 or the jcm900. I always hear of tsl reliability issues on UG, though ive never experienced with my pesronal use or know someone personally that owns one and had issues with it. Great amp still though, yay,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by himforyou666777
best guitars - gibson
best amps - marshall

You have a lot to learn

I played one before, Wan't hugely impressed to be honest. I didn't get a chance to crank it (It's 100watts tube ffs...) or mess around with the EQ much (I was trying out a pedal, not the amp, so that was what got my attention really) But still I wasn't blown away with it like I though I would be.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
You have a lot to learn

I played one before, Wan't hugely impressed to be honest. I didn't get a chance to crank it (It's 100watts tube ffs...) or mess around with the EQ much (I was trying out a pedal, not the amp, so that was what got my attention really) But still I wasn't blown away with it like I though I would be.

Thats a phenomenally stupid and ignorant statement ya fool.

1.They are nowhere near as bad as people say they are.

2.Beaten by other Marshalls a)DSL b)JCM800 c)JCM900

3.Has serious reliability issues.

4.For the price, shop around, you can do a lot better

5.Doesnt crank like old Marshalls do
I don't like the tsl. They aren't the same as the dsl's, the dsl's sound more vintage, but still kind of modern.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i got one and i love it but i hav to admit i had to get to love it with time.

it's not really a plug in and play amp, you do hav a lot of knob-twiddling to do on it but it will reward your efforts.
Quote by controlfreak
i got one and i love it but i hav to admit i had to get to love it with time.

it's not really a plug in and play amp, you do hav a lot of knob-twiddling to do on it but it will reward your efforts.

It IS a plug and play amp. Theres not alot to it.

They are bland and not as good as the older marshalls. Fizzy distortion. the lead distortion is weak.

Its a better option to boost the crunch channel with an OD.
Quote by himforyou666777
best guitars - gibson
best amps - marshall
Kill yourself, now.

IMO, 900 > DSL > TSL
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Aug 8, 2006,
Quote by himforyou666777
best guitars - gibson
best amps - marshall

you have no idea what your talking about, i'd take a low end Grestsch over a high end Gibson any day, and there are so many amps you can get that are better than Marshall's
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
They are bland and not as good as the older marshalls. Fizzy distortion. the lead distortion is weak.

Biggest load of crap ever!I own one and the distortion is sex...sure there are higher gain amps out there but this amp is perfect for everything i play....and i play alot of different styles.
Well, the 900 is no longer in production, so you gotta get one used. It has less gain than the dsl and tsl and less features. But IMO, was the last "marshall" sounding marshall made.
The DSL has more gain and is more modern sounding, but it's possible to get a "vintage" marshall tone out of it.
The TSL has even more gain and is even more modern sounding.

IMO an 800 (even more vintage than the 900, less gain.) or a 900 with a good overdrive pedal and an EQ is where the versatillity is at.

Single channel 800 + ts808/ts9 = Tone.
These go to eleven...
Quote by himforyou666777
best guitars - gibson
best amps - marshall

Gibsons are overated and over priced.
Marshal stopped making good amps a while ago........and they're over priced.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Well, the 900 is no longer in production, so you gotta get one used. It has less gain than the dsl and tsl and less features. But IMO, was the last "marshall" sounding marshall made.
The DSL has more gain and is more modern sounding, but it's possible to get a "vintage" marshall tone out of it.
The TSL has even more gain and is even more modern sounding.

IMO an 800 (even more vintage than the 900, less gain.) or a 900 with a good overdrive pedal and an EQ is where the versatillity is at.

Single channel 800 + ts808/ts9 = Tone.

haven't tried the 800's or 900's (but that sounds about right), but you're spot on about the dsl and tsl. you can get a decent, but not amazing, vintagey tone out of a dsl, but you're really struggling with the tsl to get anything more vintage than 80's thrash- you really have to work at the eq etc..
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
haven't tried the 800's or 900's (but that sounds about right), but you're spot on about the dsl and tsl. you can get a decent, but not amazing, vintagey tone out of a dsl, but you're really struggling with the tsl to get anything more vintage than 80's thrash- you really have to work at the eq etc..

Have you actually tried ANY vintage amp or any good pups, you just seem to suggest items and then say you havent tried 'em?
In most cases it's general knowledge, you don't have to be a gear critic to reccomend stuff. You can go from information from others, it's not a bad thing. Anyway, Dave said he hadn't tried the 800 or 900, but he didn't reccomend them. And I know full well that he's tried a DSL.
These go to eleven...
Quote by davedoom
Have you actually tried ANY vintage amp or any good pups, you just seem to suggest items and then say you havent tried 'em?

well, I've tried plenty of boutique amps aimed at vintage tones, and I've tried a jtm 45, a JMI AC30, and plenty of vintage reissues. and I've tried swineshead and bareknuckle pickups. I've tried pretty much all the "common or garden" Dimarzios and Duncans, and I've tried most of the EMG's.

Problems?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually, here's a list of what I've tried over the last 4 weeks:

Godin Freeway (classic?)

through

Orange Rockerverb 30 combo *
Randall RH50 head and cab (all-tube)
Randall RM100 combo with Plexi, Recto and Deluxe modules

ESP George Lynch (older model, not LTD).
ESP MII (again, older model- not LTD).
Ibanez J-Custom RG (older model).

Through Marshall DSL100 head and cab.

Yamaha AES620
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
PRS Tremonti SE
Ibanez SZ320MH

Through Marshall DSL100 head and cab.

Washburn X50pro (with duncan custom custom and '59)

through

H&K Triamp MK II
H&K Switchblade
Peavey 6505

Gordon Smith Gypsy through JMI AC30 (i was trying OD pedals here- the others were just in the chain )

Maxon OD808, Maxon OD9, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive, Crowther Hotcake, T Rex Alberta, Mudhoney, EHX Big Muff, Pro Co You Dirty Rat, HBE Big D, Visual Sound H2O, Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus.

Fender 90's strat with lace sensors through a vintage marshall jtm45 (i think).

HBE power screamer
HBE uno mos
Klon Centaur
Blackbox X-ray

Ibanez RG1570

through

Cornell Romany Plus*
Cornford Hurricane*
Koch Studiotone head and 1x12*
Wolftone head and 2x12 cab*
Second-hand Chinese Vox AC15CC*

Ibanez PGM 301 (Paul Gilbert, with paf pros)

through

Laney VC30**
Laney VC15**
Laney LC30 II**
H&K Edition Tube**
Peavey Classic 30**
Engl Screamer
Fender Blues Junior**
Mesa Lonestar Special**

Ibanez Jem 77B
Ibanez JS1000
Musicman Luke

through

Mesa F100

PRS standard 24 20th anniversary
PRS McCarty 24
PRS Custom 24 with artist pack, 20th anniversary (about £3000 )

through

Mesa Roadking

Washburn X40pro

through

Krank Krankenstein and Revolution (both with Krankenstein Cabs)

Ibanez RG1570

through

Rivera Pubster 25 Combo*

G&L ASAT
G&L Tribute (that's the str*t one, right?)
Gordon Smith GS (LP Junior-style)

through

Marshall JTM60

Gordon Smith SG
Gordon Smith Graduate (LP-style) (p90's)
Gordon Smith Graduate (LP-style) ('buckers)
Gordon Smith Classic S (str*at style) (humbuckers)

All through a Hiwatt head (not too sure of the model).

Cort X-Custom (invader/jazz)
Thunder (i think) with evos

through Genz Benz El-Diablo 60 Combo*

Blade Texas Pro (str*t)

through both the diablo and a traynor YCV 20*.

Vintage V100 (LP) (p90's) through Traynor YCV40

Fender USA Standard Strat
LTD Kirk Hammett LP

through

Mesa Lone Star Special*
Mesa Rectoverb
Mesa DC5 (only the clean channel worked though)
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Fender Twin
Mesa Roadking Combo

happy now? and that's only the last 4, maybe 5, weeks, mind. I've probably left some stuff out too. And * = I got to crank it a bit, but not fully, while ** means it was fully cranked.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 8, 2006,
Yeah you're right, Dave_Mc hasn't tried any gear

I haven't tried that much stuff in my entire life...
^

Btw Dave, What was the Cornford like?
Ouch Dave you've got a lot of time on your hands.

Sorry to go off-topic but I notice you've tried an AC30CC, a Laney VC30 and a Fender Blues Junior. These are among the three amps I'm looking at, any chance of a brief summary/comparison?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
(crack of the UG whip)

Jesus...........and IIIIIIIIIIIIIII have a lot of time on my hands?

Fooooooooooookin hell!

BTW, JCM800:ends there my friend! History in a box
I love my TSL, but I also like a more modern sound. I'm not trying to get a vintage sound out of it. It also has it's problems. I just had the output transformer changed on my 60 watt. My amp tech was telling me how they use the same size O.T. as they use in an 18 watt Fender. This causes them to blow easily. Marshall has been getting cheap lately. Even so, I'm very pleased with the tone I get from it.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
to tell yall the truth i wasnt too impressed with TSL, actaully, i wasnt to impressed with many marshalls at all, xept the 900/800/JMP/JTM45
Quote by Erock503

(I was in London for most of that, I used a lot of the time to try stuff I couldn't normally, I'd been there last year anyway, so had seen most of the sights already anyway)

Quote by GNR4EVER

Btw Dave, What was the Cornford like?

Awesome. Seriously, I want one bad. Well, actually, I want to try the other lower wattage cornfords as well, just to see. and obviously everything else I can get my hands on. I can sense another trip to London in the not-too-distant future.

Quote by SamDking
Sorry to go off-topic but I notice you've tried an AC30CC, a Laney VC30 and a Fender Blues Junior. These are among the three amps I'm looking at, any chance of a brief summary/comparison?

Well, I tried the ac30 last year, and I think my ear for tone has changed drastically, since I've been trying stuff this last while that I'd have hated last year... I liked the ac30 last year, but I tried the ac15 this year, and didn't like it much (it was compared to the cornford, wolfetone and cornell, though, so maybe that was it). But anyway, the vox has a sparkly clean, and nice classic rock overdrive.

The laney is pretty nice- if you get one from gak for £300, it's excellent value. nice warm cleans, nice classic rock crunch.

The blues junior is nice too, but over-priced compared to the laney (the laney is actually less, for the 30 watter!).

I'd say the laney is the pick, in my opinion, on a value thing. but you'd want to try them to see, if you can.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
holy **** you get around!

i've tried my marshall (DSL 401) and a old JCM800. like a first year of produtcion 800, basically a plexi. it pwned.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
why does everyone equate a good amp with a vintage sounding amp?

why does everyone look for that 'vintage' sound. it's the sound that has been around as long as electric guitars have. i admit that some modern sounding bands are appaling but there seems to be a stigma attached to anything that vaguely tries to cover new ground.

why do amp manufacturers bother making new amps when we could all play a JCM800 or JMP? Let's all join a clapton or hendrix tribute band!

will everyone not sound the same? and i know tone isn't ALL about the amp but you know what i mean.

everyone hated the Mode 4 cos it dared to tread on new ground. people ignored that it has some of the best cleans of any marshall in production.

i love my TSL and do give two sh1ts that it doesn't sound as 'vintage' as the 900. does anyone think that if you're playing a gig to 200 people thru a house p.a. the punters will think "Hmmm, he could sound a bit more vintage, you know"

meh anyway...that's my spleen vented
Last edited by controlfreak at Aug 9, 2006,
i just prefer the DSL because it doesn't sound as over compressed as the TSL.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by controlfreak
why does everyone equate a good amp with a vintage sounding amp?

why does everyone look for that 'vintage' sound. it's the sound that has been around as long as electric guitars have. i admit that some modern sounding bands are appaling but there seems to be a stigma attached to anything that vaguely tries to cover new ground.

why do amp manufacturers bother making new amps when we could all play a JCM800 or JMP? Let's all join a clapton or hendrix tribute band!

will everyone not sound the same? and i know tone isn't ALL about the amp but you know what i mean.

everyone hated the Mode 4 cos it dared to tread on new ground. people ignored that it has some of the best cleans of any marshall in production.

i love my TSL and do give two sh1ts that it doesn't sound as 'vintage' as the 900. does anyone think that if you're playing a gig to 200 people thru a house p.a. the punters will think "Hmmm, he could sound a bit more vintage, you know"

meh anyway...that's my spleen vented

Well done, take on those bastards!
Page 1 of 2