they were one of the first emo bands. then they changed style slightly and became really popular. basically
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
1990's

In the 1990's the genre was really still starting out and few bands actually considering themselves 'emo', it was still just a sub-scene of hardcore, and then around 1993/94 bands started fusing the hardcore elements of emo with alt/indie rock stylings thanks (in part) to influences of Nirvana and the grunge scene (although there were still some sticking to the original sound).

That's from the Emo Essentials sticky, and pretty much sums it up I think
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
JEW started off in the emo scene but brought in a pop-punk influence.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
But they arent emo anymore. Actually, they never were full emo, but yea. Its more of a fuse.
Can You Fill In The Blanks?
Quote by tpen892004
clarity is a classic album

I always liked Bleed American more.

But I don't really think you can exactly label JEW, tbh.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
I think the classification of emo has changed, not the band. I've known about them for at least 6 years and it was through this band that i first heard the term emo. It wasn't an insult back then, just another genre. It was an offshoot of hardcore
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
^ The term has always been a bit of an insult.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by tpen892004
clarity is a classic album

I got a copy of Clarity in the mail by mistake along with a Kind of Like Spitting album I ordered. It's something I never would have ordered but I figured it was too much of a hassle to send it back, so since I had it I gave it a listen. Overall, it's very good. My favorite song of their's is definitely "Lucky Denver Mint".
Last edited by slinks at Aug 9, 2006,
Clarity and Static Prevails are amazing albums. I seriously cannot fault them. and eh, people are like 'omgz emo' but to be honest, JEW are more pop punk now
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by xArCaDiAx
^With "Futures" definitely.

And Bleed American/Self Titled. It's definately less 'emo' than Static Prevails

Quote by metaldud536

Either way they're a better pop-punk band than any pop-punk bands out there
and a better emo band than any emo bands going about right now.
Catastrophe and the Cure
Quote by Not Now
Either way they're a better pop-punk band than any pop-punk bands out there
and a better emo band than any emo bands going about right now.

Most definately

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Keegs22
If I only heard the song Bleed American, I wouldn't have labeledl them as emo.
If I had only heard "No Sensitivity (Acoustic)", I'd have probably lableled them as emo.

Where did you find the acoustic version of No Sensitivity?
Limewire probably?

Quote by metaldud536

Jimmy Eats World is NOT emo at all. They are an alternative rock/pop-punk band. How could you call them emo?! They don't sound like any bands from the late 80s emo scene, or the 90s emo scene or today's emo scene. Emo music has changed it's form over the years though. Well, nevertheless, you seem like you don't really know what emo is. Check out the emo essentials thread. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think J.E.W. is emo.
theres different styles of emo, you can consider weezer sorta emo. Like the thick glasses dorky kinda emo. i guess JEW is one of those styles. not really sure
why is it that a band has to be one thing or another? JEW jump around from one thing to another. I would define "Bleed American" as emo, while others wouldn't, but The Middle is more pop-rock than anything...

they belong in this forum tho, so i guess thats something...
Let's see, they don't show any kind of hardcore roots, really, they don't scream, they don't have emo lyrics...
Quote by bandgeek10
Jimmy Eats World is NOT emo at all. They are an alternative rock/pop-punk band. How could you call them emo?! They don't sound like any bands from the late 80s emo scene, or the 90s emo scene or today's emo scene. Emo music has changed it's form over the years though. Well, nevertheless, you seem like you don't really know what emo is. Check out the emo essentials thread. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think J.E.W. is emo.

Listen to basically any song from Static Prevails, and tell me that its pop punk. its too soft to be pop punk

Quote by metaldud536

I think they've been classed as emo more over here in the UK

Only because the alternate/indie type bands are like Oasis and Arctic Monkeys

And they would never be classed in the same genre as Jimmy Eat World
Blah.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
Listen to basically any song from Static Prevails, and tell me that its pop punk. its too soft to be pop punk

Ok well, I have one of their CD's but it sucks so much, I never listen to it... Maybe once in a while. The only good song is "THe middle." And it's basically like pop rock/ alternative rock. But what are their lyrics like...Are their lyrics emo?? When most ppl think of emo, they think of bands like Bayside, Silverstein, Brand New, etc... Bands that actually have emo lyrics... I dunno, I think i'll look at the JEW CD and see for myself.