Hi i have two guitars that i would like to buy new bridge pickups for.

First one, Ibanez RG321, basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, bolt on neck, 25.5 scale neck. I'll plan to use this guitar for standard tuning mostly, i'll be playing a lot of old school metal type stuff on it like megadeth, early slayer, Manilla Road, Iron Maiden, Kreator and such but i'd also like to be able to play some post rock type stuff like Pelican, Callisto and others. Basically its gotta be able to do metal well. I am a lead player also so it has to cut through the mix, oh and i'd like plenty of harmonics too please
I think i'll have 10-52 gauge strings on this guitar not sure yet

Second i have a Maverick Species 2, basswood body, three piece canadian maple neck, grade AA Indian Rosewood fretboard, set neck, 25" scale. I plan to use this guitar for the low tuned stuff. I'd really like a tight punchy more modern tone for this, i am talking about bands like early In Flames, Children of Bodom, Meshuggah, basically tight punchy melodic stuff is what i want to play on this guitar, again it has to cut through the mix and not sound muddy at all. I plan to use 12-56 gauge strings with this guitar

I am not even certian which i will choose as my downtuned guitar yet so any suggestions on that would be great too.

Oh and one more thing, i don't want active pickups so livewires and emgs are out of the question and i would like a decent clean tone from all of my guitars if possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
try some dimarzio for the downtuned! I'd recommend the drop sonic, it's really fat!
or have a look at some seymour duncan distortion...they're good at clean areas, too!
I can't recommend you more specific pickups cuz it's up to you!
My Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520 FM DAS (DiMarzios)
Ibanez RG 2020X (EMGs)
Ibanez RG 1570 (EMGs)
Epiphone ZW (EMGs)
Peavey 6505+
TT Cab (Eminence Delta Pro)
Quote by BcRichOwner
whats wrong with actives?

I heard actives sound bad in solid state amps? I tried an emg 85 the other day through my bandit and my Jb sounded much better
Quote by Sepulturick
I heard actives sound bad in solid state amps? I tried an emg 85 the other day through my bandit and my Jb sounded much better

hmm not really true, all depends on the amp. Oh and the 85 is more of a neck pickup where as the JB is a bridge pickup really, so that's probably where they sounded totally different
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by fwibble
hmm not really true, all depends on the amp. Oh and the 85 is more of a neck pickup where as the JB is a bridge pickup really, so that's probably where they sounded totally different

The 85 can be used in the bridge or the neck. Lots of people like them in the bridge.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
i'd probably use the ibanez as the downtuned guitar, as it has a longer scale length, and so the strings won't turn into rubber bands as fast when you tune down.

for the pickups: what amp do you have, and how much cash are you willing to spend?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably use the ibanez as the downtuned guitar, as it has a longer scale length, and so the strings won't turn into rubber bands as fast when you tune down.

for the pickups: what amp do you have, and how much cash are you willing to spend?

My amp is a Peavey Bandit II the newest model, its great for what i use it for which right now is just bedroom use and to jam with my friend who is a drummer.

I would be willing to pay no more than £50 on each pickup.
wow, i have an EMG-81 in the bridge, and an EMG-85 in the neck, and i have a solid state. the clean tone is BEAUTIFUL through both pickups, and my amp actually sounds good for once!!! im geting a carvin v3 though, so hopefully itll sound even better. EMGs are the way to go, but im just saying that becasue i have some. you're right about livewires though, because with the livewire metal, you cant get a clean tone. if you get the set though, it comes with a livewire classic for the neck, and its really good for clean tones.
Quote by Sepulturick
My amp is a Peavey Bandit II the newest model, its great for what i use it for which right now is just bedroom use and to jam with my friend who is a drummer.

I would be willing to pay no more than £50 on each pickup.

swinesheads.

www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

i'm guessing either an xbucker (darker, a little higher gain and more modern) or venom (brighter, a smidgen less gain) for the bridge, coupled with a runaway (better cleans, still good distortion) or warthog (better distortion, not as good cleans) in the neck.

if you're getting for both guitars, I'd probably get one with the venom + runaway, and one with xbucker + warthog.

Though email swineshead to see what jon says, just in case one or more of those doesn't sound at its best in basswood.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i got 2 emg 81s in an epi les

works well for me at least... has decent clean tone- i had to adjust the pickup height , and it took a while cus i needed to get a balanced volume area so when i switched it wouldnt be from whisper to lion roars... i have alder/mahogany body and not sure about neck... this is all me though... I play death/black metal often so i like the heaviness in all my pickups... so i have a separate strat for all clean stuff with a humbucker in bridge
Quote by Sepulturick

EMGs tend to get a very bright sound with SS amps. A lot of pick ups do even my stock Gibson pups on my LP Classic. Try a Dimazio Tone Zone in the brigde. Good hard sound.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
EMG's are definitley the best pickup i have heard. The clean tones are amazing and the distortion just takes it to a new level. Buy an 81 and 85 u wont regret it, especially if u play metal.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
^ er, EMG's are about double his budget. Seriously, for £50 a pickup, I defy anyone to come up with something better than a swineshead. And my swinesheads, in my opinion, own EMG's.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
my budget may only be £50 a pickup but i would get a second hand pickup if i had to.

Swineshead look very interesting, only an hours drive from my home aswell!! though postage is only 95p!

I'll tell you some of the pickups i have been considering before suggestions were even made. Duncan Distortion or Duncan Custom, Dimarzio Super 3, Dimarzio Drop Sonic or Dimarzio X2N, Swineshead Venom and Bill Lawrence L500XL.

But i am open to any other suggestions so everything suggested so far is up for considering, jeez its not easy to choose, i can't even really try many of the pickups out first thats the problem, at least i can sell em on ebay if i don't like em
^ actually, the postage is free (i think, though it frequently changes) if you order over £60 worth of stuff.

aye, it's a total disaster to try pickups, it's a total lottery most of the time.

if you can get to machinehead in hitchin, they had a washburn x40 pro (duncan distortion bridge, 59 neck), and nuno models (bil lawrence l500, though that's the mass-produced version, and not even the right model, lol), but yeah, other than that, you're struggling.

i'd go swinesheads, but obviously that'd be an easier choice for me as i've tried them (not those models, but I have 3 different models, and they're all good)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ actually, the postage is free (i think, though it frequently changes) if you order over £60 worth of stuff.

aye, it's a total disaster to try pickups, it's a total lottery most of the time.

if you can get to machinehead in hitchin, they had a washburn x40 pro (duncan distortion bridge, 59 neck), and nuno models (bil lawrence l500, though that's the mass-produced version, and not even the right model, lol), but yeah, other than that, you're struggling.

i'd go swinesheads, but obviously that'd be an easier choice for me as i've tried them (not those models, but I have 3 different models, and they're all good)...

which Swineshead do you have? are any of them useful for metal at all?
^ i have the warthog bridge, spotlight middle, and condor neck. The warthog will do metal, but it's a hard rock pickup, mostly- it'll do metal with a metal-enough amp, basically. depends what you mean by metal, too. It'll do maiden and megadeth no bother, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i have the warthog bridge, spotlight middle, and condor neck. The warthog will do metal, but it's a hard rock pickup, mostly- it'll do metal with a metal-enough amp, basically. depends what you mean by metal, too. It'll do maiden and megadeth no bother, for example.

Oh right, well the warthog might be up for consideration. thanks for all the suggestions guys, i will let you know what i end up doing and tell you how i get on. thanks again
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dimarzio Tonezone and Paf Pro is a very versatile set up, from metal to cleans
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
^ swineys are better (IMO), AND appreciably cheaper here too. he'd probably have to go second hand to get those dimmy's.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I have a Swineshead Warthog.

It's great! The gain is just right for me. It's very versatile. I can can anything from Pearl Jam to Trivium. As for metal. It deals well with Metallica and Trivium, but no so well with heavily scooped bands like Pantera. It responds well to a bit of eq-ing, so if you have a eq it could help. Its like a JB but better and more balanced. Not muddy, but can be if you don't eq it right (my amp is very bassy anway.) Everything in my band was recorded with one, so check out my sig. (They are rough and not good quality, but at least you get an idea of the sound.) However I have it in a Maple-bodied guitar, so it may be slightly different to basswood.
^ i have mine in basswood, it's grand.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A JB would work for old school metal, and definately for rock. A bit on the trebley side tho. Check out some X2N's for the modernish stuff.
Hi guys, just an update on my situation, i managed to buy an x2n from ebay for 26 quid!!!! not sure what guitar to put it in yet though. I do actually have a dalmedo jb v pickup in my drawer not doing anything, i bought that off ebay trying to get hold of a duncan jb sound for cheaper (the rrp of the dalmedo jb is actually £70). Anyway its pretty good so i may try that out again. Anyone head of em? they have a website but no clips.

my search goes on
hi guy, another update on my situation, tried the x2n in the ibanez and it was just too powerful for my amp. The power basically killed the tone. i tried lowering the gain and the pickup height but still wasn't happy. The x2n is now on ebay, cool pickup but just not for me. I am now considering either a swineshead warthog, venom or a duncan full shred. Whichever i get i plan to order it today, swineshead suggested the warthog to me though i thought they would suggest the venom. i have copied the email i sent and my needs in the gear section of this forum. thanks guys
Quote by timi_hendrix
The 85 can be used in the bridge or the neck. Lots of people like them in the bridge.

O Rly. I believe mine is in the neck.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Swinesheads ftw!
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
imo, id use a dimarzio dsonic for the drtop tuning guitar, like moi. theyre very tight and stop your sound turning to much
high output pups: dimarziox2n, bill laurence, EMG,motherbuckers,bkp's
Quote by schecter1971
O Rly. I believe mine is in the neck.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sepulturick

That goes for every pick up, but yes, yo get more "EMGtone" through a real tube amp.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?