Hey, I did a quick search for this, but I couldn't find anything interesting, so shortly before flaming me if this comes up every five minutes, could you direct me to some threads?

Basically, I'm in a band and I'm not exactly the secondary guitar, but I'm the one that doesn't generally solo. The other guitarist has his guitar pretty high so he can get easier upper fretboard access n stuff, but because I don't have to worry about this as much, I have my guitar slung a lot lower. This is great because, unlike the other guitarist, this means I can actually move, pull power-stances, basically prick about on stage and have a laugh.

However, in an upcoming gig it looks like I will have a solo. I can solo fine sitting down, but standing up a different matter. I can almost manage it using a few power stances, but its nowhere near as tight and often falls apart, and my hand is is a spaz-arse position.

I was watching a Godsmack DVD a few days ago and noticed that both the guitarists in that manage fine. Does anyone else have any problems, or any ideas of how solo-ing low is made easier, or good positions, or if I will just have to tighten my strap or whatever? Thanks in advance...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
its just practice practice practice, you get used to it . if eventually isnt soon enough, just raise your strap.
Just make your strap shorter, problem solved. The sound is more important than the look. Also if you still want to wear it low...Never practice too long sitting down?
Quote by orangeacid
Hey, I did a quick search for this, but I couldn't find anything interesting, so shortly before flaming me if this comes up every five minutes, could you direct me to some threads?

Basically, I'm in a band and I'm not exactly the secondary guitar, but I'm the one that doesn't generally solo. The other guitarist has his guitar pretty high so he can get easier upper fretboard access n stuff, but because I don't have to worry about this as much, I have my guitar slung a lot lower. This is great because, unlike the other guitarist, this means I can actually move, pull power-stances, basically prick about on stage and have a laugh.

However, in an upcoming gig it looks like I will have a solo. I can solo fine sitting down, but standing up a different matter. I can almost manage it using a few power stances, but its nowhere near as tight and often falls apart, and my hand is is a spaz-arse position.

I was watching a Godsmack DVD a few days ago and noticed that both the guitarists in that manage fine. Does anyone else have any problems, or any ideas of how solo-ing low is made easier, or good positions, or if I will just have to tighten my strap or whatever? Thanks in advance...

Dont watch MTV. First mistake. Play your guitar where its comfortable on your body, man. Start to sound good before you try to "look" the part.
Trust me, I used to play with it up around my nipples before I loosened the strap...lol.
Comes with time.

Look at Angus Young.
raise your guitar a bit for that one song? or kneel down on one knee and rest the guitar on your thigh whilst playing the solo, that would look pretty cool live on stage.
Gear:
LTD EC-50 w/ EMG HZ H4's
Maverick F-3
Digitech Metal Master
Boss CE-5
Marshall MG10CD
bring your guitar closer to you and practise the solo, everytime you play it move your strap down a bit. Do this over a couple of days, so then you hopefully wont notice the difference
Quote by steamin'
raise your guitar a bit for that one song? or kneel down on one knee and rest the guitar on your thigh whilst playing the solo, that would look pretty cool live on stage.

Lol I did that at a gig in school once with my old band. It went down pretty well, but everyone was on raised seating... no-one would see me in the pit at this place where our next gig is. Thers this little wall in front of the stage.. hey, perhaps I could put one foot on that?

Thanks for the advice people...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by Maj_Tom
Just make your strap shorter, problem solved. The sound is more important than the look. Also if you still want to wear it low...Never practice too long sitting down?

Thats the advice I was gonna give. Just practise only standing. I have my guitar a with the trem cavity a bit below hip-height, so not very low but lower than sitting. The trick is to play until it feel natural to have the guitar where you have it. Admittedly, the only way to get the soloing happening properly, is to raise the guitar, there are limits to the human wrist.
Stand like the lead singer from Trivium.

Lets wide apart, something like stand-squat, raise your guitar neck high and well, play/
Put one of your feet on the monitor or something similar and balance the guitar on your leg. It looks pretty cool.

Anyway, that's a quick fix. If you play often enough when standing you'll get the hang of it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
prop your leg up on your amp or on a speaker and hold the guitar up higher by resting it on your knee.
I found that if you really do wanna do the whole slung low approach ( i mean compare looking at james hetfield and kirk hammet play and the guitarists from maiden and imo the low slung guitars of metallica look way cooler) do the thing that tallica do (i'm not trying to be a fanatic here) but bend your knee's and rest the guitar on your knee and lean over to play it, or do a hammet and raise the guitar in the air when u play a solo.

Hell whatever works for you, but image is an important part of performing live btw, don't let anybody kid you about it not, if they just wanted to hear you they'd play you in their home stereo's, but when you're compensating for a ****ty pa, the fact that you're not exactly comfortable, and the fact that there are people facing you and looking at you, yes image is important (not to say it should overshadow your playing).
Marty
Quote by Invictious
Lead Singer from Trivium stance FTW

A little off topic, but wtf does FTW mean?

and to suicidalmoose: Image IS important but ease of play comes first and image is more than just wearing your guitar by your knees.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by demea
Play your guitar where its comfortable on your body, man. Start to sound good before you try to "look" the part.

I agree
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
It means for the win. And while some of those stances are good ideas, they may be just as weird to get used to as playing it low slung, so I suggest you raise your guitar for that song and lower it for the others (as already suggested) and keep practicing it low slung or with whatever stance you prefer for the future unless you have enough time to get used to it by that gig.
Make the strap a little higher, try the solo, and keep doing that until its comfortable. Im sure you can find a safe medium. OR if you have more than on guitar & strap, assign one for the song with the solo, and wear that one high, and the other low.
Quote by Neon Knight
A little off topic, but wtf does FTW mean?

and to suicidalmoose: Image IS important but ease of play comes first and image is more than just wearing your guitar by your knees.

it means, F*** The World
I personally can not stand playing it low. It makes it so much harder to play. You shoul play with it standing, the same height it is when your sitting/
My Gear

ESP/Ltd EC-1000 w/EMG 81/60
ESP/Ltd H-500 w/ JB/59 Duncans
Fender MIM Strat w/ Hot rail in Bridge

Traynor Custom Valve 80watt 4x10
I agree with the guy who said do 'tallica stuff like raising the guitar up or resting it on your leg.....You can always get it like right by your face and scrunch your face to look like your feeling the music so much you just came in your pants.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by withgunstoglory
it means, F*** The World

WTF? You brought back a year old thread just to post that?!
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fatboythin

Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
your gonna have monitor amps right? or are they like one of them earphone ones?
wel if you have monitor amps, put your foot on one of them like john petrucci always does, or if you dont have any monitors, your can always um,bend down, spread your legs, and rest the guitar mostly on your left leg, and raise it a little bit,

EDIT: GAWD MAN, DIDNT NOTICE THAT THIS THREAD WAS MADE WHEN THE DINOSAURS LIVED !!!
Last edited by sum_ugly_man at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by Neon Knight
do the Zakk Wylde stance

+1
This is the first(and, hopefully, the last) time I will suggest doing something the way Zakk does it.

But, when you get to the solo, put one of your feet on a speaker or something as tall at the front of the stage to raise your guitar up.

It'll work perfectly. Plus, it'll still look badass.

Edit - Dammit. This thread is like a year old. Can a mod delete it or something? I'm pretty sure the problem has been solved by now.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by fatboythin

lmao, and it doesn't even mean that. It means For The Win..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.