Page 1 of 3
Are you aware of any bands that steal unproduced songs and claim authorship even though the song arent theirs? or have you ever noticed any resemblance between a song (of one band) and a song of an other band?

*If this thread is inapropriate or pisses you off , please notify me immediately so i can delete it and not get 3d degree burns from the flaming if you dont like it *
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Last edited by Necrolust at Aug 8, 2006,
i've stolen decapitated-spheres of madness and made a pretty cool rip-off.

the fact of the matter is that most bands steal from either maiden, sabbath, led zep (more true for rock, but most certainly also metal) or any of the founding fathers of metal. just think of how many drummers just blast the whole time. metal isn't about being unique, just being able to create a cool atmosphere.

it's all been said and done before.
I didnt realise Agressive Perfector was the same as Hit The Lights :O

I'm gonna go listen to them!!

But what year was Kill Em All released? 1983 i thought?
Quote by evolutionised
my words of wisdom:

if you're over 18, click "I agree"
if you're below 18, also click "I agree"
well, just go out and buy Jets first CD. Every song on it is a great example of that.
well much of Sum 41's "Grab The Devil By The Horns And **** Him In The Ass"
sounds alot like Metallica's "The Four Horseman"

and Metallica's "Creeping Death" is actually a song written by Kirk Hammet's band before Metallica, they just changed some of the lyrics.
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
Quote by Vin2254
well, just go out and buy Jets first CD. Every song on it is a great example of that.

We're talking about metal, buddy.

I've been told that Deicide rip off Deicide a lot.
Quote by Scourge441
We're talking about metal, buddy.

I've been told that Deicide rip off Deicide a lot.

well either way, you know hes right.
PeaceLoveUnityRespect
There is ofcourse the possibility of a very famous and rich and powerfull band to steal a song they like from a small band . or buy it , i dont know . the thing is that nobody asks aybody for the stealing or the buying of the song , u see two bands releasing the same exact song and you go :"hey , what the funk" ?
and there is the possibility which was said above that bands steal old metal or rock that has faded out .
Megadeths Mechanix is Metallicas Four Horsemen with different lyrics but thats only cos Dave Mustaine had a part in writing both but you'd think he'd just write another song to go with the Mechanix lyrics really
You do realize that Hit the Lights was written before Slayer were even formed, right?

Kreator's Total Death and some old Destruction song (Forgot its name) have an almost identical riff.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
audioslaves cochise has the same riff as bad seed by metallica
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
Quote by dead-fish
You do realize that Hit the Lights was written before Slayer were even formed, right?

Aggressive perfector was the first original song of slayer and it was written in 1979 !
Quote by Necrolust
Are you aware of any bands that steal unproduced songs and claim authorship even though the song arent theirs? or have you ever noticed any resemblance between a song (of one band) and a song of an other band?
For instance I recently noticed that The intro of hit the lights-Metallica is actually a slayer song called the aggressive Perfector which was written and released earlier than Kill 'em all .
So , have you ever noticed a song which is exactly the same or similar with another song of another band?

*If this thread is inapropriate or pisses you off , please notify me immediately so i can delete it and not get 3d degree burns from the flaming if you dont like it *

Man, I used to think you were cool from your Savatage appreciation.

If you knew your thrash, you'd know that Slayer's speed on Show No Mercy was inspired by Metallica.
Kerry and Jeff saw Metallica in late 82/83, and were actually inspired to play faster because of this. Dont give me this "Metallica ripped off Slayer" ****, if anything, Slayer just jumped on the bandwagon.

Quote by GizmoKaKa
and Metallica's "Creeping Death" is actually a song written by Kirk Hammet's band before Metallica, they just changed some of the lyrics.

That band was Exodus, and no it wasnt. The intro for that song was written by Cliff, evidenced in the minor chords after the power chords.
In 1982, I highly doubt the atmosphere would have been right to write a solo like that of Creeping Death.

Quote by Crisp Shoes
Megadeths Mechanix is Metallicas Four Horsemen with different lyrics but thats only cos Dave Mustaine had a part in writing both but you'd think he'd just write another song to go with the Mechanix lyrics really

No, Dave wrote the song you know as "The Four Horsemen" - it was originally called the Mechanix, and the version of Mechanix of Megadeth's debut is the original version of the song - very much in NWOBHM style, as most of Metallica's original stuff was, evidenced on their first demo's - most notably the Jump In The Fire E.P.
When Kirk joined the band, he added the interlude and following solo.
ALL THE SOLOS ON KILL EM ALL WERE WRITTEN BY DAVE.

If you really want to get Metallica involved in rip offs, start by listening to Rush and Thin Lizzy - Metallica ripped them off, especially Rush.

****, i hate noobs.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by Necrolust
Aggressive perfector was the first original song of slayer and it was written in 1979 !

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Sorry for double post, but this deserves a ****ing reply of it's own.

Quote by God Book

HA!
EDIT: ^ i like this guy.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
Opeth's Benighted is a rip off of a Camel song who's name I forget
theres another song, i forget which, but its on the Lamentations DVD, which Mikael says is a rip off of a Camel song, and i found the Camel song and listened to it, and the similarities were so subtle that you wouldnt have noticed unless he'd pointed it out.

ripping off is part of music. you listen to music, it influences your writing, and invariably you are going to come up with something which, intentionally or not, is a rip-off of another song.
Quote by Alucard II
theres another song, i forget which, but its on the Lamentations DVD, which Mikael says is a rip off of a Camel song, and i found the Camel song and listened to it, and the similarities were so subtle that you wouldnt have noticed unless he'd pointed it out.

ripping off is part of music. you listen to music, it influences your writing, and invariably you are going to come up with something which, intentionally or not, is a rip-off of another song.

The other song is Ending Credits and it isn't really a rip off of a certain Camel song, just the Camel style.

There is a Camel song which is almost identical to the beginning of Benighted though, if only I could remember the song
Quote by twentyextysixx
Man, I used to think you were cool from your Savatage appreciation.

If you knew your thrash, you'd know that Slayer's speed on Show No Mercy was inspired by Metallica.
Kerry and Jeff saw Metallica in late 82/83, and were actually inspired to play faster because of this. Dont give me this "Metallica ripped off Slayer" ****, if anything, Slayer just jumped on the bandwagon.

Then I guess I am A dumbass , sorry for the stupid approach , i didnt know , I 'll go read some wikipedia and then post bull****... U can flame me now for my first statement, i deserve it.
Quote by Necrolust

Hetfield wrote the first version of Hit the Lights in one of his high-school bands. If I'm not mistaking, Dave Lombardo hasn't even met Jeff, Kerry and Tom in '79/
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Yeh twentyextysixx what u said was what i meant just may have come out wrong.

Dont say I dont do what I'm talkin bout when it comes to Metallica. Dont no bout the Slayer/Metallica thing think Slayer were after Metallica but they both have their own sounds so you cant really call it 'ripping off'
Apparently Behemoth's Conquer All riff sounds identical to an Anthrax song.
Quote by dead-fish
Hetfield wrote the first version of Hit the Lights in one of his high-school bands. If I'm not mistaking, Dave Lombardo hasn't even met Jeff, Kerry and Tom in '79/

I already apologized and deleted the first stupid statement i made .. I need to be informed better before posting nonsence like these . You can still post about bands you think they steal or have stolen songs. the thread is still active .(I just deleted the idiotic statement i made , sorry for it I had a brain malfunction , thats why i posted it :P)
Last edited by Necrolust at Aug 8, 2006,
Quote by dead-fish

Nope it was written with Lars.

You're thinking of the song "Phantom Lord", which was never actually a written song until 1982, but the name of one of James' high school bands.

Quote by God Book

HA!
Quote by twentyextysixx

You're thinking of the song "Phantom Lord", which was never actually a written song until 1982, but the name of one of James' high school bands.

Oh yeah, got confused. Thanks for correcting
Sum 41's song "The Bitter End" actually IS Battery. I'm sure of it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by twentyextysixx
Nope it was written with Lars.

Actually I'm pretty sure Hit the Lights was originally written in one of James old high school bands. They basically just rehashed the main riff and made it into what is now known as hit the lights. It was also an instrumental I believe in James' high school band. You're correct about Phantom Lord though.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
hetfield on sanitarium
''The riff for that song was lifted from some other band, who shall remain anonymous.''

I'm pretty sure the riff was taken from the song rainbow warrior by bleak house

plus there was on the ug news click
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Everyone probably knows this one already but...

The only blatant song rip-off that I know of, is Trivium's Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation. The main riff sounds exactly like At the Gates' Blinded By Fear.
I thought this was interesting:

Listen to Iron Maiden's "Flash of the Blade" at around 2:01. Hear the harmonized lick? Now, listen to Manticora's "Playing God" at 2:23. It sounds exactly the same, except the endings.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
The Camel song that Benighted was stolen from is called "Never Let Go"

ill go check it out...
That new Metallica song sounds an AWFUL lot like a Damageplan song I've heard..."Wake Up"?...I don't remember heh
Opeth have ripped Camel bad in a couple of songs (Ending Credits, Benightened)

I'm listening to Never Let Go by Camel right now (I own their discography), and it IS Benightened...like exactly
-Mike
Quote by Crisp Shoes

No dude, that was Mustaine having kept the song the way it was truly written. That song was originally sex through the metaphor of auto parts and stuff. Then when he was removed from Metallica, the new line-up of Metallica changed the lyrics and added in the whole Queen/ Skynyrd epic part.

But as was said before, metal is an art of cut and paste. Drums blast away with the same beats for seemingly every song, and add fills you know you heard somewhere else. The bass, most times you don't hear, but it's likely they are playing what the guitar plays. And the guitars likely took riffs off of several artists, or were playing the song by someone else, messed up that riff, and stumbled upon something new(er). The only unique parts of metal are the vocals and solos, which are slowly starting towards monotany again. Cause there is only so much low growl and stupidly fast solos you can take before losing interest.

to the dude below me
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Last edited by hethamulburton at Aug 8, 2006,
Eh you could say there's a lot of stealing in metal, but every other genre is the same.
-Mike
In Mastodon's Megalodon, the riff after the little bluegrass guitar fill sounds just like the fast part in Metallica's Sanitarium.
Quote by <><
Oh, King'sXfan590! Is there anything you won't say?

There, now you can quote me and put me in your sig.
The bass intro to My Friend of misery. Im sick of hearing so many versions of it. The odd things is, the bands ive heard "using" it. Arent "metal" by UG's standards.
Seemann - Rammstein
Overburdened - Disturbed
System of a down - Mr. Jack
Seriously, it sounds like they've changed 3 notes in all. Same with, The intro to The doctor is calling by Megadeth and One, and the thorn within by Metallica. Theres a riff in This was my life by Megadeth and Phantom Lord by Metallica. The list goes on. And i can not hear the similarity between Aggressive Perfector by Slayer and Hit The Lights by Metallica.
Page 1 of 3