Okay, I've been playing guitar for about 8 months. I've been improving all 8 months by learning all the songs I like, and learning how to improvise, also scales and so on. I've gotten to be a decent guitarists but I'm not sure what to do now. I want to get really good, but I don't know how to do that other than do the same thing I've been doing...I guess I'm trying to ask how do I get to be able to play like crazy Van Halen, SRV, Jimi Hendrix songs. Because I can't keep playing the same skill level songs, so...does anyone know any like challenging songs I could play, but would be challenging. I'm into blues rock, classic rock, and grunge as in Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Please don't say Stairway to Heaven.
Gear:

1996 Fender Stratocaster Jimmie Vaughan Edition
Ovation 1860 Balladeer Acoustic/Electric
Miller Electric
Indiana Jones Acoustic

Kustom Amp
Alive by pearl Jam its not overly complex mind but its got a decent solo at the end.
Or sit down and learn some zepp note for note
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Last edited by bonzo_lives at Aug 8, 2006,
Yeah, you definitely can't expect to play that kind of stuff within the first year or so, but some songs like "Seek And Destroy" by metallica (minus the solo) and "Alive" by Pearl Jam was stuff i was playing when i was about as far along as you are.
Write yourself some little licks that use akward fingerings and try them - try writing your own funky chord progressions that pinpoint your weaknesses.
I know its probably not your style but Under The Bridge By RHCP is pretty good. It'll help with Hendrix type stuff. It doesn't have a solo but its got some uncommon chord shapes and it'll challenge you.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
haha, no that's definitely my style, I love RHCP...but I already know that song
Gear:

1996 Fender Stratocaster Jimmie Vaughan Edition
Ovation 1860 Balladeer Acoustic/Electric
Miller Electric
Indiana Jones Acoustic

Kustom Amp