Page 1 of 2
This is my theory on why Dave Brownsound left Sum 41.

Deryck Whibley said that Dave lost interest in the band after their album 'All Killer No Filler'. Their next album 'Does This Look Infected' was considerably heavier than their previous material. I think that Dave made Sum 41 go a lot heavier so he wouldn't leave the band, because the other members knew they couldn't do without him. Their next album 'Chuck' was even heavier than 'Does This Look Infected' so that shows that Dave wanted them even heavier. After 'Chuck' when they started writing for their next album, Deryck mentioned that it was going to be way different from 'Chuck' so then Dave left because he wanted to be in a metal band. He saw that Sum 41 would never become one.

The end
Chuck was a crap album anyway, they should have just stuck to what they were good at, Brownsound was there link between metal and punk so yh they did need him.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by untitled039
He left about 2 months ago and some songs on Chuck were heavier than DTLI

Maybe 2-3. That's about it. But overall, Id say DTLI was heavier than Chuck.
Can You Fill In The Blanks?
um. i think you over-thought that one. he left because he didn't like the music they were making. end.
Chuck was heavier..

Sum 41 is actually one of my favorite bands (cue flames ) We'll see how they do without Dave
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
He said he left because he thought they became to dark. I think he actually liked the stuff off of AKNF & HHOP.
I'm such a loser I couldn't get laid in a womens prison with a carton of cigarettes!
Quote by untitled039
He left about 2 months ago

Really?!
They're screwed without him...
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
They were getting worse with every album. Dave realized this. Now he's gone.

Fin.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Apparantly Deryck wrote most of the riffs on Chuck, so he was the one making them get heavier, not Dave.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Weeeird, I used to like Sum 41 alot and I thought Dave's metal influence worked well with the overall poppy sound they had.
Quote by emomints
Green day have to be one of the biggest emo bands in the world (and I still love them). Which do you lot think is there most emo song 'coz me and my friend can't decide lol
His metal infliuence made them sound like a cheap Metallica rip-off. Sum 41 are crap. Which is too bad, because I liked them for a couple years. I wish they would stop stealing riffs and try and write a decent song on their own.
Quote by andrewbiles
Really?!
They're screwed without him...

I am curious to see how much the sound will change though I loved chuck.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by fake_sk8r182
Admitidly, they aren't much without Brownsound, BUT hopefully it might mean a relapse into the style of the older albums, which would be brilliant IMO

What do you mean they aren't much? There was something other than solos in the songs. Ok, he's a good guitarist, but if he wasn't writing most of the music, it shouldn't be much different.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Yeah Deryck wrote most of the progressions and riffs if I remember rightly from my days of Sum 41.

I'm not quite sure how it'll affect them as a band, I'd be interested to see how they sound on their next album..
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

RHCPhysco is right i really liked the first two thought the next was ok and hated chuck...
if i was a guy i would be gay!

member of the Seinfeld Fan Club --PM the_experience to join

WOOTERS!
well i heard somewhere that he was making a band called the "Brown Brigade" with his cousin, who is probably also brown.
Quote by Black Hole Sun
Apparantly Deryck wrote most of the riffs on Chuck, so he was the one making them get heavier, not Dave.

The bitter end is basicly a rehashed version of battery by 'talica so it shows they were desperate to bring in the 'talica sound.
I didnt think it was good album because it was too heavy for the pop punkers and too poppy for the metallers.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Thats right, the Brown Brigade consist of Dave and Vaughn who I assume is his cousin and I heard they just found a singer aswell
Quote by soccermom
The bitter end is basicly a rehashed version of battery by 'talica so it shows they were desperate to bring in the 'talica sound.
I didnt think it was good album because it was too heavy for the pop punkers and too poppy for the metallers.

I think it was a good album, it bridged a gap between pop punk and metal, two so different genres, and it really worked well.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Quote by xArCaDiAx
Maybe 2-3. That's about it. But overall, Id say DTLI was heavier than Chuck.

Chuck was like, 100 percent more faux-metal than DTLI.

Songs like We're All To Blame and The Bitter End document that well.
Quote by Black Hole Sun

That's exactly right. I reckon they will be okay without him, but it's a shame he left. Oh well, **** happens.
Because he realized he's part of a shitty band and has exiled himself in shame? (this may be wishful thinking on my part).
Quote by Spaceman_Spiff
His metal infliuence made them sound like a cheap Metallica rip-off. Sum 41 are crap. Which is too bad, because I liked them for a couple years. I wish they would stop stealing riffs and try and write a decent song on their own.

yeah good thing he left. i think all killer no filler was a great album, and hopefully after dave's gone sum 41's gonna get back to their same old style. many riffs and solos of the Chuck album sound similar to that of metallica....which sucks...
Quote by Dabey
yeah good thing he left. i think all killer no filler was a great album, and hopefully after dave's gone sum 41's gonna get back to their same old style. many riffs and solos of the Chuck album sound similar to that of metallica....which sucks...

I lol'd.

Sum 41 used to be my favourite band, now I've progressed my tastes a lot, I still listen to DTLI? a fair amount still, but the rest has worn off. I really want to hear anything Dave does in the future, and it will be interesting to hear Sum 41's next output, they will probably get more 'emo', there were definite hints of it in Chuck (especially Pieces, which was just rubbish)
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
as a Sum 41 song it's ****ing terrible when you compare it to their earlier works but on its own I suppose it's okay.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by sonixon
Chuck was like, 100 percent more faux-metal than DTLI.

Songs like We're All To Blame and The Bitter End document that well.

Haha. Faux-Metal. I just like the way it sounds .

Anyways, ehh, Ill have another listen to both. But with the exceptions of those 2, there aren't many more. Maybe, Im just saying that DTLI had a more heavier all-around feel.

And that album cover...so hardcore2daxtreme

Quote by duncang
they will probably get more 'emo', there were definite hints of it in Chuck (especially Pieces, which was just rubbish)

They will NEVER be emo. They will just progress gradually down the Pop-Punk road if they choose not to remain heavy. Maybe even getting out of Pop-Punk and moving in to Pop-Rock...but that's a maybe.
Can You Fill In The Blanks?
holy crap......

dave's decision to leave the band was to further his career in a band with a more classic metal style (such as metallica). i found that out on wikipedia(dunno why i was on there)

How can you say chuck is crap?? i listen to a fair bit of metallica and i can say for sure that sum 41 are not a cheap rip-off of them. the only song that sounds alot like metallica is bitter end. but the rest of the albulm is a different metal style, more similar to that of avenged sevenfold.

anyway, all of there albums have been good and i can't wait untill the new one is released, whether it be punk or metal.
She turned me into a newt!!!......
I got better
I use to be really into them a few years back, went to see them about 3 times live, I've still not heard chuck. Oh wells, so long as they are still going im always interested to hear what they have next. Lol, I always like Half Hour Of Power best.
Page 1 of 2