Pretty stright up question. I need help finding out how to get the key of a chord progression so I can solo over it. (Example F5 C5 G5 A5) or (Gadd9, Dm, Cadd9)
It just kinda confuses me.....
Would it be the starting note/chord of the progression?
My girl, my girl, don't lie to me,
Tell me where did you sleep last night
I listen for what i think the progression resolves to, in the case of the power chord progression it sounds like A minor.
I was kinda hoping to be taught how to fish...not handed the fish :P
My girl, my girl, don't lie to me,
Tell me where did you sleep last night
Quote by seasofcheese
Pretty stright up question. I need help finding out how to get the key of a chord progression so I can solo over it. (Example F5 C5 G5 A5) or (Gadd9, Dm, Cadd9)
It just kinda confuses me.....
Would it be the starting note/chord of the progression?

For the first one it could be in C Major, A Minor, or if you threw in a Bb somewhere F Major or D Minor.
For the second could also be C or A Minor.
I would find out the notes of each chord, line the up in a logical order (A B C, Not C B A), compare your notes to those of all majors scales, find a major scale that uses those same notes, find the relative minor if you want.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
^ wow thats a lot of work, i'd think it'd be easier to learn elementary theory and instantly know the root key.....
Well it's one way of looking at a chord progression without knowing too much theory. In my opinion it's easier then trying out root chords, and seeing if the other chords fit into that root.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!