Ok so lately ive been going to another guitarists house to play guitar with him the thing is he can play tabs alot better than me he can play really fast songs with great accuracy more than i can but the thing is he knows no theory or chords scales or any thing but i know alot of theory and he wants me to teach him so what things should i teach him first and then after that just please give me a list of ur opinion any help would be appreciated
Quote by saband
Ok so lately ive been going to another guitarists house to play guitar with him the thing is he can play tabs alot better than me he can play really fast songs with great accuracy more than i can but the thing is he knows no theory or chords scales or any thing but i know alot of theory and he wants me to teach him so what things should i teach him first and then after that just please give me a list of ur opinion any help would be appreciated
I guess the first and most obvious question would be: How much theory do you know?
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
i have a very good understanding of modes, i know all about the parent major scales and the intervals in all of them like dorian b3 and b7. i know the pentatonic scales i know all chord formulas know all the key signatures and alot more
Start by teaching him the major scale. Everything else either comes from the major scale, or will be compared to the major scale. Then you can show him how chords are constructed. Take things as slow as he needs.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
Teach him the C major scale and all of the intervals of the C major scale. From there, teach him how the root major chord is formed, and then teach him the modes as they apply to the C major scale (D Dorian mode, E Phrygian mode, etc.) and then the natural minor scale, first.