I know the 7 modes of the major scale, and know the characteristic of each and why it is so. Yet, im not entirely sure how to play in a specific mode. I understand that in order to play in lydian for example, you want to be expressing that sharp 4th, but how so? does it matter on what you resolve on? and how to you prevent turning it into Ionian?
how does everyone learn what to resolve to? i mean i can sometimes just hear it, but i want to actually know... is there some sort of,,, i dunno, thread? that could possibly.... maybe... list, these... uhh... whats the word im lookin for here... uhh. things?
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
how does everyone learn what to resolve to? i mean i can sometimes just hear it, but i want to actually know... is there some sort of,,, i dunno, thread? that could possibly.... maybe... list, these... uhh... whats the word im lookin for here... uhh. things?

I think it goes like this.

If you are playing in E Phrygian, the notes are

E F G A B C D

So a good choice would be to resolve to the root note of this mode, which is E. You could also set up tension by resolving to another note instead of E.

The harmonic order of strengths mentioned in that thread (1 3 5 7 9 11 13) helps determine what note you resolve to would have the strongest feeling of resolution...for a lack of a better way to put it. It sounds full.

[b]E Phrygian[/b]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
E F G A B C D E F G  A  B  C  

So resolving to G would give a full sound, but not as full as if you resolved to E. The further down the note is in the harmonic order of strengths, the less definition and fullness the resolution will have.

Also, you have to play around and train your ear to see what sounds good and how to play things out.
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Aug 9, 2006,