If the title means something to you guys, that's pretty impressive. For those not familiar, I'll just tell you real quick the background to this song:

(Skip down if you don't care)

Vysotsky was, during the time of the Soviet Union, Russia's Bob Dylan. Except, in America Bob Dylan could get a recording contract and take his show wherever he wanted. In Russia, if the government didn't like you... well... you didn't go very far. Nonetheless, his music still spread through the country like wildfire because of people going to his underground shows in the basements of clubs and universities with handheld tape recorders. He was so popular with the underground that it was said if you walked around the Moscow apartments at night you'd hear Vysotsky's voice coming from every window.

Anyway, for more info. see Wikipedia.

Song for Vysotsky

Intro
We're tired, cold, miserable and poor
And the Party sends our sons off to war
So step up, young man
Get up on that stage

Verse
Speak for us
Turn our fear into comfort
Sing for us
Turn our hope into song
Stand with us
Then spread your wings and fly

Chorus
You're the voice of a generation
of thinkers
of dreamers
You're the voice
Of a tired and wounded land

Verse
Were you a thief, son?
Were you a soldier?
Did you fight before you got older?
Was that you I heard crying
in the night?

Chorus
of thinkers
of dreamers
You're the voice

Solo

Verse
Speak for us
Sing for us
Turn our hope into song
Stand with us

Outtro
Rest in peace Vladimir Semyonovich Vysotsky.

Crit for crit, obviously.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Last edited by Zhizn at Aug 8, 2006,
I like the whole song, the theme and the lyrics, the chorus is my favorite part:

of thinkers
of dreamers
You're the voice

Particularly the last bit. I think it tells a unique and very interesting story. Well done.
Thank you! Now, which guitar effects to incorporate... hmm.....
-Texas Special Pickups

We're tired, cold, miserable and poor
And the Party sends our sons off to war
So step up, young man
Get up on that stage

This is a very intruiging opening. I like the rhythm of the lines, because in each case they're not quite as expected. It's hard to describe what I mean. When I first read this stanza I was going to say that I thought the first 2 lines each ahd one too many syllables in and the last 2 lines could do with a couple extra. However on reread and rereread, I changed my mind. it is perfect as it is. The way we read things, our brains automatically selects the best rythm and pattern for us to follow, whether that be iambic pentameter, ABAB or whatever. Your specific rhythm here as far as I know conforms to none. It is the unusualness of it that catches our eyes (well, not literally but "catches our ears" is an expression unused haha) and makes us stop and think about it. It's excellent!

Anyhow enoguh about the flipping rhythm haha. The words... haha they're perfect! Nothing to crit

Verse
Speak for us
Sing for us
Turn our hope into song
Stand with us

This is fairly straightforward and simple. I guess some would say it's cliched but in the midst of a piece like this it doesn't appear like that, certainly not to me. It's a contrast to the previous stanza in terms of complicity, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Hmm I'm rambling again
I like this, although tbh I do feel it would be perhaps better suited for a chorus than a verse. but I have yet to read the chorus, I shan't give judgement yet.

Chorus
of thinkers
of dreamers
You're the voice

Absolutely lovely. This is perfect.

Verse
Were you a thief, son?
Were you a soldier?
Did you fight before you got older?
Was that you I heard crying
in the night?

Wow. very impressive. The first 3 lines especially are amazing; the rhyming and overall structure are just plain awesome IMO. I love the inclusion of "son", it brings the whole thing back down to earth and reminds us that this person is still a normal person etc. Lovely.

Chorus
of thinkers
of dreamers
You're the voice

Good repitition, re-enforces its meaning

Solo

Verse
Speak for us
Sing for us
Turn our hope into song
Stand with us

Again, good repitition. Sorry I can't find much to say on this, but it's really good, and there's little to improve on it, IMO. Excellent job!
Quote by Kensai
Maybe you've heard what the ladies say: "Once you go 77mm you don't go back"
damns, that is extremely amazing. I know Vysotsky 4 sure, its 1 of ma fave musicians. He was writing some revolutionary music against the parlement 4 people, thats why the government didnt like him much. N his music is amazing, amazing guitarist. N it was a strong person as in character...sucha pity he died young. R. I. P.
Thanks 4 posting that song around, its beautiful.
I registered in here just to tell you that was an amazing song man - how do you play it on guitar?
I can't believe I'm getting such positive responses! Thanks guys.

I've got the rhythm part written out for it right now, no melody though. Want me to post up the chords?
-Texas Special Pickups