its like an iron on thing. you iron it on to the curcuit board thing (i forgot the name) and then peel it off. then you dip it in that acid stuff until it eats away the copper you dont want but leaves the schematic of what you do want. they work really well.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
yeah you can touch up the schematic thing if it doesnt all peel right with a sharpie. i dont remember what was used, maybe acetone? idk i think you'll need to do some research on it.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
yeah that wont work well. you really should know what you're doing, otherwise when you encounter a problem you wont have any idea how to fix it. plus building pedals is no walk in the park.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
use liquid plumber for the acid, it will eat the copper away, also put a galvenized nail into the acid bath to speed the reaction up. and do this outside so you dont die......and you could also use pool cleaner as the acid and it will work better.
~jacob t.
And what reading material would you reccomend for building pedals? Im not looking to learn how to circuit up much more than that, I just wanted to know how to make a good PCB board.
Last edited by absinthe5765 at Aug 8, 2006,
the three best etchant solutions

1. Ferric Chloride
2. Ammonium Persulfate
3. Home-made mixture of 50% Muriatic Acid and 50% Hydrogen Peroxide.

and you...dont use acetone, 1. it dosent etch the copper 2. it "etch" away the press´n´peel thing... the blue stuff.. not good.
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Not that I really know anything about pedal building, but I do know that liquid plumr is a basic solution! More basic then bleach even...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
LMAO!!! this is great.

wolf/man had it down. Get ferric chloride, can be had at radioshack in liquid form. Heat it up with a glass aquarium heater, get it to around 100F i believe. Next, prep the board, DON'T TOUCH THE COPPER, scrub it down good with some sort of solvent... glass cleaner works I believe... then print out the etch pattern backwards (never used press n' peel blue), iron it on to the board (I use photo paper on a laser printer), then make sure the pattern is on well, then let the board soak in the solution until all copper that is unneccasary is gone. after, soak the board in cold water immediately to stop the reaction, and then remove the leftover etch pattern from the paper... This is where you use acetone or the likes with a cloth (and maybe a plastic scraper) to remove all of it.
the only way i've been shown to do circuit boards is print the circuit diagram onto acetate (that clear plastic sheet you use on projectors) then if you have one get a UV box and put the acetate on the board then that into the box, after about 5mins take out, put into etching liquid, then acid, rinse and theres you have a developed board
Quote by absinthe5765
Im pretty sure I dont have a laser printer tho, Its just a kodak deskjet. That wont work, will it?

no. That's an inkjet printer, that (here it comes!) uses... INK! (gasp).

Laserjet printers (as well as copymachines) use toner, which is plastic. Which is etch-resistant. When you iron it onto a copper PCB, the plastic sticks to the board, while the paper doesn't, and then it protects the copper underneath from the etchant solution.

What you COULD do, is print out your board layout with your printer, get some photo paper, and ask the local copy shop to copy a few copies over to your photo paper, and then iron that on to your board. That's what I'd do at least.
www.mouser.com .... they seem to have a lot of etchant things... :P
good luck
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1