Can you guys help me by giving me some amp settings that set my amp to a clean tone but when I touch the pedal it sounds mega distorted? Like "Bat Country" - A7X. Or "Master Of Puppets" - Metallica. 'Cause the harder I try the amp without the pedal sounds a little distorted.
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
*sigh*
WHAT PEDAL?
WHAT AMP?
WHAT GUITAR DO YOU HAVE?
see, it all depends
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by El Codyo
Turn up the gain on the pedal and use your amps clean channel.

I'm not to good with these type of things. I don't my amp has a clean switch. Just high, low, med, pre, and post.

Oh yeah my Pedal is a Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9.

I forgot to add that stuff.

Squier Bullet Fender Guitar.
Peavey Audition 20 Amp.
Ballz On Parade
Dude, thats not a distortion pedal. Its an OD pedal. And in addition, unless your using it too boost a tube amp, there is pretty much no way it will give you the distortion you are looking for. For that you should have got some very high gain pedal, and the TS9 is pretty low gain. (And too really sound like them a pedal wont help, youd need to buy a bogner amp which is about 4 grand)

Edit: You can try to use it as a boost for your distortion channel, but i cant imagine this sounding good at all. I would recomend taking it back if you want metal tone, especially with that amp. Go get a the boss metal pedal or something. (although i would take a tubescreamer over a Metal Master any day)
Last edited by thegeoff at Aug 8, 2006,
Dammit. They said it was the best pedal they had. ****. I read some reviews on musicians friend and they said it was a good pedal too. Is there still anyway to make my amp clean but the pedal like, I dunno louder? Or no way whatsoever? And the pedal says it has overdrive. That's completely different from distortion right?

Edit: Forget the distrotion crap then. Tube screamers better than boss? That's what they told me.
Ballz On Parade
WEll not completely different. But different yes. Overdrives are kind of a weaker distortion (sort of, technically they replicate power amp distortion but distortion pedals replicate pre-amp distortion.) And the function you described is the exact function of the level knob. Turn it up and the effect gets louder aver the guitar signal.

Edit: Yeah a TS9 is sort of a better quality pedal than boss, its pretty much a legend, if you want blues/rock/boosting a tube amp tone. But for hard rock without a tube amp to boost its almost useless. (In effects there is no "better" its all aobut what you want to do with it, especially since distortion is such a broad effect.)
Last edited by thegeoff at Aug 8, 2006,
Alright, Thanks dude. I guess I can start my own collection then.
Ballz On Parade
I guess. And yo, is there something wrong with my amp? It just died out while it was in my garage. The light turns on but no sound.
Ballz On Parade
aye, as stated, the tubescreamer isn't really the pedal you want for the tones you want. it's a good pedal, but better for boosting an already distorted valve/tube amp to become more distorted, rather than achieve really heavy distortion on its own through a solid state amp- which it just plain won't do. you could get another distortion pedal, and use the ts9 to boost it for solos, though.

Of course, if your amp is dead, you probably want to look into another amp first- preferably all-tube to take advantage of your tubescreamer, though obviously that's dependent on budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hope it's not dead. I don't have much money and I hate not playing the guitar when I have my chances.
Ballz On Parade
If you can spend around 500 you can get a nice used tube combo to go with your TS.

That's probably the cheapest you'll find a nice one.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

the epi valve junior is meant to be nice for the cash. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a look. it's around $100 for the head, you'd need a cab though. It's available as a combo too, though I hear the head is meant to be better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?