I hear alot about Nitro finishes, and how there supposed to make guitars natural tone more pronounced, just wondering if anyone has some info.
if that's the soft finish then i think it will help tone(is it nitro or poly that's soft?) anyways i think the soft one will sound better because it will resonate more
For electric guitars I believe this to be bull. The major tone comes from the pickups, strings and the neck. Different woods give a different sustain, but the solid wood itself doesn't resonate that much (10th grade physics). So the finish should make close to no difference at all. With acoustics, everythings different, of course.
- When I was your age Pluto was still a Planet. - anonymous
The finish certainly matters. Yes, nitro finish does resonate better. It won't make a huge difference, but to a certain degree, everything on a guitar changes the sound. Nitro won't change it as much as new pickups, but it would effect the sound more than, say, different machine heads(which do make a difference btw.)
Its the finish on older guitars. Its not as thick and wears quickly. Many people, including me, beleave it helps tone. It lookes sexy after afew years of playing. Any guitar older the nabout 30 years probally has a nitro finish.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Yes it does! How you ask? The same way that a red car goes faster.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Quote by surfingshredder
i dont know personally, but eric johnson swears by nitro finishes

eric johnson is the biggest dweeb
he believes that the only way to get real tone from pedals is to use evercell batteries. that just shows you enough about eric
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
It's true. Nitro, compared to the poly sprayed on most guitars (Fender, Jackson, PRS, etc) builds up THICK and generally hardens into a thick plastic film. The catalyst mixed with the poly cures it like this, making it a hard, resistant and thick finish. Nitro doesnt build up half as fast as poly does. It also doesnt have a catalyst mixed in, so it's stricly air drying. There is pre-catalyzed lacquer which uses a mild catalyst to cure it, and there's also UV lacquer where you spray it, set it under a UV light and it cures the finish. Although in general, the chemicals in each paint is totally different, which I could go deep into but I don't feel like confusing you further.

Basically, nitro is a softer, thinner finish which allows the wood to vibrate more freely. Poly is a thick, hard, plastic finish which dampens the vibration of the wood, in short

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I believe if you want a nice clean tone it allows the guitar to resonate and be acoustically more free.

I bagged the Highway 1 instruments by Fender, but I must admit, although they don't have the quality of the 100% American basses, the Nitro body is REAL nice.
haha
the nitro finish allows the sounds to bounce off the wood easier since its thinner
the new finishs are thick and sink the sound in
basically it will make a VERY VERY small difference that only tone masters like johnson or gilmour would notice
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.