I have a Fender Strat HSS with a humbucker in the bridge position. Whats the advantages or disadvantages of raising the pickups to the maximum height and what type of sound should I get for what type of music? And the same for the pickups in the lowest position. I originally had them somewhere in the middle and was just messing around with the height and figured I'd ask the question. Thanks.
well uh I THINK that the closer it is to the strings the louder and fuller the sound will get??? the far away it mite sound abit duller.<like for metal stuff. i think !? im probably wrong
Quote by Gibson_Rocker
well uh I THINK that the closer it is to the strings the louder and fuller the sound will get??? the far away it mite sound abit duller.<like for metal stuff. i think !? im probably wrong

Yup

Careful doing it though, you could knock the screws out and knock your pick ups into your guitar. That's never fun.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
the closer it is the stronger the notes will sounds. the farther it is the more sustain you'll get and vise versa.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
close enough gives u extra bite.
too far is volume loss.
too close and its muddy with loss of sustain.

raise the bass side for more bass
raise the treble side for more treble.

adjustable poles have screws across the bottom row (humbucker)
slowly raise or lower to emphasize, de-emphasize certain strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i assume the bass side is the top and treble is the bottom, right? how do i adjust the poles and whats a good adjustment for a nice bluesy sound like SRV stuff
thicker strings are bass. thinner give u treble.

an adjustable pole pickup. small turns, dont go any lower than flush to the pickup and put ur face to the guitar to watch the poles raise and lower.

as for specific SRV, u need a set of hot pickups. not necessarily just treble or bass. thats more of an overdrive u get from a set of texas pups and/or a good tube amp.

pickup adjustments are more for "fine tuning."
if ur JB pup had too much treble u might add bass and mid to it. something like that.

also strat singles might be staggared and or tilted from the factory, thats representing its ideal string emphasis acording to factory specs. (its all preference tho.)

ur neck pickup is naturally Bassier than ur bridge.

i guess i would emphasize the good cleans of the neck, maybe make it a higher treble side, see how that went.
what's ur rig look like?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you get your pickuPs too high, it can actually hurt your sustain as your strings will be attracted to the magnets in the pickups and not vibrate freely.