Hi, i have a question about guitar strings..
why are there so many brands, and the different brands do they have different sounds?
Why are there so many brands?

The same reason there are so many guitar companies. There's a demand and companies are trying to fill that demand. The different brands do have slightly different sounds according to many players, but different guages makes a bigger change in sound than different brands.
There are so many different brands is because they are all different.
To an untrained ear all strings are the same, but some people can notice differences in sound, feel and look.
Also, some companies specialize in different kinds. )Acoustic, classical, 7-string sets, ect.)
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
i recently found they do have slightly different sounds. i switched from .11 D'Addarios's to Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (.11) and found i really loved the new tone, especially when played clean.
oo ok thanx, now in your oppions, everyone. what strings should i get? my brother is moveing out and he gave me his guitar, its nothing special but the cords are all crapy and out of tune. i rele want to start playing guitar and i have the guitar its just i need help with little things like what brands and stuff. And i also got a bass from him.
well i use ernie ball 9's. i didn't really like DR strings, they had too much treble.
Well, D'Addario makes the cheapest standard strings I've seen around in my town. The most common would be Ernie Ball, in my opinion. I use them quite a bit on my Strat.

Since you're just starting out, just buy the basic run-of-the-mill strings. Tone isn't important until you learn how to play the instrument.
Looking for my India/Django.
Yeah, just pick some up. Then when you change strings again, try a different brand. Find something you like. But like redwing said, it's not that important until you learn how to play the instrument.

I think it's also worth knowing that strings are different for everybody and their materials react differently to the different chemicals in different people's skins/sweat.

I find Ernie Balls to be dang-a-langed rust magnets.
I don't like EB except for the skinny top heavy bottom.

D'addario seems to have a more modern sound.
I'd say try Ernie Ball super slinkies ... it's your standard thing really, they're decent enough quality without being ott. I struggled starting out cos I had these real cheap strings that may as well have been made of wood. Don't just go for what's cheapest.
Are you ok with knowing what gauge to buy? Nines are the standard, eights are easier to bend but also easier to break, and vice versa for tens.
I am a huge fan of elixir light-heavys, they have exceptionally long life and they sound amazing (except it's a real hit to your wallet if one of them breaks, they're notably more expensive than other strings).
About your question of why there are many brands of strings:
Because those are ruthless bastards trying to rip you off for just strings of steel that is designed to ring.
Really, even manufacturing the top strings like elixirs, they only cost like...1 dollar for a whole set? lets include packaging, 1 dollar, 2 dollars, and they rip you off for a whole lot. (I overestimated by the price by alot)
I use Ernie Balls "Not Even Slinkys". (Gauges: 12-16-24-32-44-56) They're freaking huge strings, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with small or weak hands, but I like the feel of big strings and the tone you get from them kicks ass.
Quote by bigwillie
I use Ernie Balls "Not Even Slinkys". (Gauges: 12-16-24-32-44-56) They're freaking huge strings, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with small or weak hands, but I like the feel of big strings and the tone you get from them kicks ass.

Not compared to a bass

But anyway, how does the tone differ with high gauge strings? Does it sound thicker or does it just have a slightly deeper sound? I've always used 9s and 10s, but not anything higher.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Not compared to a bass

But anyway, how does the tone differ with high gauge strings? Does it sound thicker or does it just have a slightly deeper sound? I've always used 9s and 10s, but not anything higher.

Listen to SRV. He used big strings (anything from 12-56s to 15s, maybe).

Listen to Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page used tiny strings (9-42s exclusively, I think).

Bigger strings sound brassier and deeper, and the tone is much more apparent. They also get dirty quicker---more surface area = more place for skin to rub onto.
Looking for my India/Django.