hey guys, i have a really crappy fender stratocaster copy, so i want to change just about everything but the body on it. now for the questions

1) what are the goods and bads of HSH and HSS setups?
2) what pickups would you recomend that are very versatile? like a good clean but also a good distortion sound. (part of the reason i want humbuckers and singlecoils)
3) what websites are good? ive been looking at musicians friend, stewmac and warmoth so far.

EDIT: i just saw the dimarzio DP159 Evos http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP159-Evolution-Bridge-Pickup?sku=302960 and the Seymour Duncan SH-4s http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SH4-JB-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=300035 any info on these?

EDIT 2: how should i paint it? do i have to sand down to the wood or how much should i do? any tutorials would be nice
Last edited by thatgu1targuy at Aug 8, 2006,
your on the right websites, for painting, you can either sand with 400grit and then prime, sand smooth then continue or you can sand down to wood then grainfill then go(i prefer the latter option personally)

As far as HSS and HSH, HSS will give you a fat bridge sound, but then a very strat sound for the rest of the guitar, HSH will give you a huge sound all theway round and i personally love lead on neck bucker with distortion. You could also use a push pull pot for a coil tap on the bridge and even the neck pickup to give you that single coil sound in both positions when you need it, similar to some PRS setups.

as for choice of pups, im not too hot on these, but i personally love SD's but thats just because i've played a lot of them and because i can get them at a discount.
ok,
1) HSH is really versatile and HSS is a little bit less, the thing is that if you will be modding your strat, you should get good single pups to make it look like a real strat right? Putting humbuckers on strats is blasphemy.
2)Check Dimarzio.com for good pups
3) wdmusic, guitarfetish and ebay are good places to buy your stuff while project guitar and reranch have info on the building.

for the paint you have to strip (remove) all the electronics and parts of the guitar, then you should sand up to the wood, primer, paint, clearcoat, replace all electronics and parts

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
the pups should tell you all the technical info that you need to know, and to UniverseZero, if humbuckers in a strat is blasphemy, why do fat strats and double fat strats kick a$$
yea i love humbuckers too much to not put some in it. and why would making it look different stop me? i am modding it after all

what about the routing on the pickguard? the push pull pot wont fit on it right? i guess id just have to drill some out

EDIT: where can i find info on how different pickups sound? like different models. thesumoftwo.. if you were going to put pickups in an HSH what would they be?
Last edited by thatgu1targuy at Aug 8, 2006,
not a clue, but search for the ultimate clips thread and also stop by the GG&A section, and the push pull pots will fit in the normal pickguard fine, i think that HSH strat pguards are hard to find but im sure that i saw some on wdmusic the other day. Good luck! i' off to bed now, ill revisit this in the morning before band practice
Preference.. I like 250, even though people say 250 for singles, 500 for 'buckers. I still like 250, even with 'buckers. Use what you want.
These go to eleven...
500k pots are for Humbuckers and 250 for Single Coils

And if fat strats and double fat strats kick ass then why do all the greatest artists play on normal strats?

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
because fender doesnt make an HSH strat... that ive seen anyways. and they probably like the singlecoils noise over a humbuckers, otherwise theyd use a gibson les paul

if im using 2 humbuckers and 1 singlecoil id use 500k then right?
it was said a while a go but why is hums on a strat blasphemy?
I personally think fat strats are great, nothing against all singles though

and if you're looking for strat-ness go HSS, versatility HSH
WAIT!!!!! before you do anything look into hot rails humbuckers in the bridge and neck positions, they have 4 lead versions and they look more like single coils because they fit into a standard sss strat pickguard. so id say go with a hsh setup with hot rails and coil tap them so you can get a SSS or HSS or SSH sound out of them.

~jacob t.
not if you get really hot ones it doesnt, a normal rail pickup is pretty low output but when you overwind the hell out of them you can still get away with a split coil.

and universezero the reason all of the "major" artists use sss strats is because of idiots like you who think a humbucker on a strat is blasphamy, ive seen original broadcasters made by mr fender himself that have humbuckers on them.

~jacob t.
Last edited by sempri_fi at Aug 9, 2006,
Quote by sempri_fi
not if you get really hot ones it doesnt, a normal rail pickup is pretty low output but when you overwind the hell out of them you can still get away with a split coil.

and universezero the reason all of the "major" artists use sss strats is because of idiots like you who think a humbucker on a strat is blasphamy, ive seen original broadcasters made by mr fender himself that have humbuckers on them.

~jacob t.

oh ok... clapton and hendrix were idiots because they think that humbuckers on strats are worse than SCs on strats..... and btw, Mr Leo Fender was an asshole.... he couldn't keep up with his company....

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
get HSH, with a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge, a HS-2 single coil and something like a FRED in the neck, that one's cool.
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Quote by UniverseZero

And if fat strats and double fat strats kick ass then why do all the greatest artists play on normal strats?

Because they can afford a bajilion guitars, instead of one very flexible one.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
hotrails IMO are a big no-no they are just a gimmick to me, i've played them and cantseem to get a 'real' bucker sound from them, and even overwound, you arent going to have an overly useful coil split, but as i said, this is all IMO
Quote by Wayward_Son
Because they can afford a bajilion guitars, instead of one very flexible one.

Have you ever seen clapton, hendrix, malmsteen or adrian smith with a guitar that isn't a SSS strat? NO!

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417