i asked the guitarist of See You Next Tuesday what scales he uses to write their songs, and he said, "well i dont really use scales to write, i mainly write in shapes."

what does he mean by writing in shapes?
he writes what sounds cool.... and then figures out the notes... and then solos based on those notes and a few off-notes
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
he writes what sounds cool.... and then figures out the notes... and then solos based on those notes and a few off-notes

Uh, no.

"Playing in shapes" refers to learning a shape on the fretboard for a certain scale and playing in that shape without any general regard as to what the notes are. So long as you're using the right shape, no note in that shape is out of key.

It's the "cheating" way of soloing--just memorizin a box and blistering up and down it. It's frowned upon by many musicians, including myself. That's not to say that I don't use them. I use them quite often, but I don't just play the notes randomly. I am learning the value of each note, and how it reacts to certain other notes played before and after it. It takes a long time to really understand this. I'm not even close, but it doesn't hurt to start somewhere.

The guy who said, "I don't use scales, I just play in shapes" is an idiot. The shapes ARE scales. And everybody uses scales in writing songs, it's just how much they realize they are doing it that is the difference.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
I disagree, I don't think a musician should be always judged on technique, but more his style, because maybe playing in shapes is part of HIS style. This may matter less when it comes to shredding, but most shedders sound pretty similar in my opinion, but like I said, your own personal style should be the most important thing, whether it's excellent technique or not

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
^How you interpret a scale as you're improvising isn't technique - it's something universal that every player can do that will, in almost all cases improve the guitarist in many ways.

And, I'd suggest you broaden your search in terms of 'shredders'.
Quote by rhymeswith suck
I disagree, I don't think a musician should be always judged on technique, but more his style, because maybe playing in shapes is part of HIS style. This may matter less when it comes to shredding, but most shedders sound pretty similar in my opinion, but like I said, your own personal style should be the most important thing, whether it's excellent technique or not

no that's his non-understanding of the most basic music theory. It has nothing to do with style. It works for him because he plays simple music. He would definitely benefit from learning how a simple scale functions.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Shapes and scales are the exact same damn thing. They just don't know it's a scale, they're basically boxing themselves in to part of the scale because it sounds good, without any regard or worth to whatever the actual notes are.
Quote by wasp2020
"I don't play scales, I just play what sounds good!"

you know what sounds good?

S-C-A-L-E-S
Quote by scheck006
you know what sounds good?

S-C-A-L-E-S

I know! I was being sarcastic! It's the exact same answer I give people who say that.
Why do you assume that when the guitar player said "shapes" he was talking about scale shapes?

Lots of things could be viewed as shapes. Chords, riffs, licks... they can all be visual if you choose to look at them that way.

"double-stop" shapes like this have been used by everyone from Chuck Berry to Dimebag Darrell. For example in key of A:

-----------
--5----7--
--5----7--
-----------
-----------
-----------

or these ("sixths"), more of a Hendrix or blues thing:

-5--7-8-9----
--------------
-6--7-8-9----
--------------
--------------
--------------

or this, the riff from the beginning of Texas Flood by SRV. It gets moved up five frets at the chord change. That's a real typical thing to do, take a riff shape and move it up and down the neck, or vertically across the neck, along with the chord changes.

--3----
--3----
--3h4--
-------
-------
-------
"I find that I do the best when I just listen to where I'm trying to go with it and where it can go and not try to rush it and not make up things as i'm going and just let them come out then i'm a lot better off. If i start paying attention to where I am on the neck and this is the proper way to do this and that then I start thinking and start playing from my mind and not my heart."
-SRV
Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Ibanez Ex-370 For Sale!
Quote by wasp2020
I know! I was being sarcastic! It's the exact same answer I give people who say that.

Quote by guitarviz
That's a real typical thing to do, take a riff shape and move it up and down the neck, or vertically across the neck, along with the chord changes.

I didn't say that real well. It sounds like I'm saying that the shapes follow the chord changes. Actually I mean: the shapes *become* the chord changes (laughing..) ...

... meaning the guitar player will come up with a cool riff, that he'll move around on the neck to a different position, and that becomes the chord changes.

"dude" (talking to bass player) "now take that riff and move it up to E"

(above based on assumption its usually guitar player who comes up with riffs / ideas for songs) (if you're in Iron Maiden, replace "bass player" above with "guitar player")
Quote by guitarviz
Why do you assume that when the guitar player said "shapes" he was talking about scale shapes?

Because he was. I don't see how you could confuse that.
Looking for my India/Django.
lol, i love you redwing...

i agree, its shapes as in shapes for the penatonic scales...
lol, i have lots of shapes in my head...
they look pretty wierd