Is there a technical term for the blues scale? Or is it just that? What scale family is it part of (eg. pentatonic, 7tone, etc.) Also if its not too much trouble, could you let me know the interval's for the construction of the scale?

I'm learning the full major scale and i have a good understanding, but when going into modes, I have to problems. For example, whenever playing something in Phrygian, i cant help but hear the major scale and not the 'heavier' sound of phrygian. Is that normal? Also when im playing in phrygian, when i try to end on the root note, it doesn't sound right... it sounds like it should keep going. Is it just my phrasing? Usually I just finish on the minor third or perfect fifth, but I cant get it ended on the root, and still have it sound right. Any suggestions? As usual, thanks in advance.
It's called The Blues Scale as far as I know - it's technically a Minor Pentatonic scale with a b5 tone added.

It's scale degree formula is 1 - b3 - 4 - b5 - 5 - b7 - 1.

As for your other question... try https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406803 and https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367506&highlight=order+strengths
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Aug 8, 2006,
Just to add to that; while some people may look at the blues scale as a Pentatonic with an added b5 it is actually a hexatonic scale, which is simply a scale containing 6 notes. It's still worth looking at it from the pentatonic point of view though as you can use all the same familiar shapes and just add in the b5.
As Johnljones7443 stated, it is a hexatonic scale, and the technical name is indeed just Blues Scale.

It's worth noting that technically it should be written U (Unison) b3 (Minor third) 4 (Perfect Fourth) b5 (Diminished fifth) bb6 (Perfect fifth) b7 (Minor seventh) U (Unison/Octave), because you cannot have duplicate intervals in a scale (despite the fact that a double-flattened major sixth is enharmonic to a perfect fifth).
Last edited by Me2NiK at Aug 8, 2006,
^Right, sort of like a fully diminished 7th chord is 1 b3 b5 bb7...

But even so, with the blues scale, spelling it as 1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 implies that b5 as a passing tone; n00bs won't see that bb6 as being a 5 right away. Might take them a while.

I had this discussion with a guitar teacher/neighbor. He said he generally spells it 1 b3 4 b5 5 b7 just to emphasize the b5's role. Preference, I guess?
Looking for my India/Django.
Do the maths. It wouldn't be bb7 because there isn't already a sixth in the chord. It's just 1 b3 b5 6. If you have a magical piano in which you can stack sixths and you had to write it as such, you'd write it 1 b3 b5 6 bb7 because it's theoretically incorrect to have two of any given interval in a scale. Before you're going to whip out the satire cannon and completely obliterate my post, ensure that your information is correct.

You do have a point with writing it that way, and I usually write it that way as well for simplicity's sake. But the conductor of my jazz band made a point of emphasizing that the correct way to write it is with the double-flat sixth.

EDIT: It occurs to me that you could have been talking about me saying that a double-flat major sixth is equal to a perfect sixth, which has since been corrected to what it is supposed to be, a perfect fifth.
Last edited by Me2NiK at Aug 8, 2006,
Oh, I don't want to start another thread so can someone answer one more thing for me? My question is this: I remember reading this in another post but I havent been able to find it. What styles of music are the different modest for the major scale good for.... all I remember was that Phrygian was good for rock. I'd like to know for future reference. Thanks.
The Phrygian mode (Phrygian E = C major) is rarely used in Rock music, the only example I can think of is a song by Alice in Chains that I cannot remember the name of offhand.

The Aeolian mode (In other words the natural minor scale) and its pentatonic variant is universally popular in the various styles of rock music along with the Ionian mode.
For some reason that I may not ever understand the Dorian mode was popular with The Beatles (See: Eleanor Rigby).